TC 8.50 , 2014: Some Improvement Suggestion

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

s4t

TC 8.50 , 2014: Some Improvement Suggestion

Post by *s4t »

Christian,

I use TC/WC for 17 years, this is the first program i always install on new PC, i recommend it to everyone since have no clue how Windows could be even used without it. Here are my new and old suggestions. May be i missed something, some are already added or in progress, so sorry in advance

1) This is utter annoyance i couldn't stand anymore: when i move files i permanently get the messages/warning about System/Hidden files or too long filenames/directory/tree which will not be seen by some programs etc etc. Please add the feature Copy/Move "No Questions Asked" or "No Warnings"

2) Another damn annoyance of recent years: I'd like to see internal ZIPper in 64bit version allowing files more then 2GB. What 2GB is novadays? Nothing

3) First thing i do installing new TC is i go and add parameter %N to Notetab settings. Cmon, who ever can use it without that ? Make it default

4) I use 5 TCs working simultaneously on multimonitor PC and decently i hate its default white color scheme. Please make few preset color options and the option to place appropriate different color icons on the desktop, not just one blue floppy. I use Blue, Green, DarkRed, Gray and White panels for example

5) Make search F7 for files containing two or more words simultaneously. This is easy to implement. A bit more complex is to contain some words but exclude others.

6) Make so called bubble help - the short popup help when you hover the mouse over TC words/parameters. For example in Search what is RegEx? Or RegEx2 below? Why "Only Search Selected Directories" is grayed? etc

7) Was Android TC improved from what it was 2-3 years ago? If not look at Ghost Commander
Hacker

Reply comment answer

Post by *Hacker »

s4t,
1), 2) implemented.
3) You mean Notepad?
4) Done with 3rd party tool.
5) You mean Alt-F7? Done with WDX plugins.
7) Check and see.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
sky66

Post by *sky66 »

For 5) Suggest try to install FileContent 1.10 plugin
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/filecontent.html

Then to use "Search in plugins" in search function.

This plugin support the following compare operations:
contains string contains specific text
!contains string does not contain specific text
cont.(case) string contains specific text, case-sensitive
!cont.(case) string does not contain specific text, case-sensitive
regex regular expression
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Suggestion suggestion suggestion

Post by *Horst.Epp »

s4t wrote:Christian,
7) Was Android TC improved from what it was 2-3 years ago? If not look at Ghost Commander
What a strange question.
Have you ever tried the actual TC on Android
or just checked the news in the forum for it.
Then you would not have asked such funny questions
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

2sky66
2s4t

Another interest and power (IMHO) Search plugin - QuickSearch eXtended 2.2.3
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2s4t: ... and yes, there is a suggestion forum named TC suggestions (English) available, for the sake of putting suggestions there and not here ... ;)
#5767 Personal license
s4t

Re: Reply comment answer

Post by *s4t »

Yes, SGA_wizard, i made a miss trying initially to post there, but seems lost at that time my reading glasses :-)

[quote="Hacker"][quote="s4t"]
1), 2) implemented.
3) You mean Notepad?
4) Done with 3rd party tool.
5) You mean Alt-F7? Done with WDX plugins.
7) Check and see.
[/quote]

1) it's implemented not permanently (no option to make it ON ALWAYS, you need click additional settings all the time you copy/move 100 times your files from 3 TB harddrive)

2) it's not implemented in internal zippers, only in 3rd party. With internal ones you still can not zip the files if final file exceeds 2GB even in 64bit TC.

3) Yes, %N is absolutely needed for editing files with Notepad. You then just click on file and it is done

4) No 3rd please, they appear and disappear

5) same here, no 3rd part please

7) As to Android TC I used it from start 3-4 years ago for a year or two and it was very bad waste of time with no progress. I stopped trying it since then. But i see today it is catching and surpassing others

/* What is going on with HTML formatting here?
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

1) Did you ever try to turn off confirmation on configuration window? (Configuration - Options - Misc)

2) Yes, it works.

3) It was really easier write here about it, than set in options?! Once in 17 years?
I don't use this button, i don't use default toolbar (i use my own one), i don't use Notepad.
Should i ask Ghisler for set this options for me?
BTW: if you really need text editor don't use Notepad, it's just poor.
Try at least Metapad or Notepad++.

4) What do you mean by "disappear"? From your disk? From net? From visible part of the universe?
Just download and install, optionally make backup on CD/DVD.
BTW: It can be done with different INI files, there's no need to use any external tool
(although i agree that options for choose preconfigured presets may be useful, especially for novice).

5) If you don't want use WDX plugins, use Regular expresions.

With such a statement - "no 3rd party" Ghisler should just sit and implement any idea of plugins autors in TC, right?
My PLUGINS directory is about 450 MB big - what do you think - how big TC should be to fit all features of plugins?

6) Just press "F1" on search window. I think most descriptions are too big to fit in "ballons".
Also: long descriptions increases executable size too.

*) Try to close tags properly.

Code: Select all

[quote][/quote]
NOT

Code: Select all

[quote=some]
or use forum tools.
sky66

Post by *sky66 »

1)
Configuration => Options… => Misc. => Get Confirmation before
Overwriting files:

If this option is chosen, you will be asked if you want to overwrite existing files while copying/renaming files.
Overwriting/deleting read-only files:
When you try to rename or overwrite files marked as read-only, you will be asked a second time if you really want to delete / overwrite the file. This is an additional security feature to preserve your valuable data. Normally, this option should not be disabled.
Overwriting/deleting hidden/system files:
When you try to rename or overwrite files marked as hidden or system, you will be asked a second time if you really want to delete / overwrite the file. This prevents you from accidentally deleting important DOS files which the system needs to start, like io.sys and msdos.sys.

2)
After test, TC 8.5 32bit can zip the files if final file exceeds 2GB.

3)
Notepad icon = Launch Notepad app.
If need edit the file under cursor, suggest to use “F4 Edit” on Function key bar, or use “cm_Edit” command icon, or just press “F4” on the keyboard.
s4t

Post by *s4t »

Thanks all, indeed latest version does zip files >2GB.
Thanks for pointing at Misc

I know and use F4, the things i was talking about is F3 or if clicking, then Notepad icon. That is also a media viewer etc. Pretty handy because of simplicity. Adding %N by default will improve TC experience for novices and pretty much everyone because you forget it every time you reinstall TC

Another thing i suggested - different colors icons and backgrounds - should look like this. TC icons and background/text colors should match

[img]http://i.imgur.com/O7WNfR5.png[/img]

/* what the #$%%^ is going on with this forum HTML?
I just posted same image on another one and it works
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You can drag files to Notepad buttonbar button in order to open them (this way doesn't require %P%N parameter).

New users can't post links (spam protection), don't know if it is applied to img tag BTW. Anyway, img works this way here:

Image: http://i.imgur.com/O7WNfR5.png

Other tags work fine here, including quotes.
1 wrote:
2 wrote:
p
Maybe you've disabled BBCode for your messages (check option under message form in Preview)?
s4t

Post by *s4t »

You do not lose anything and can do both ways when %N is there. You get new convenience with using F3

As i said i have absolutely no problems with posting same image in other forum. And you even do not need to click on it to see the picture
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

When you have focused a folder, Notepad will get folder path and show an error message.

What do you mean by "other forum"? Another forum within ghisler.ch/board (where work same rules as here) or completely another board (where anything may be done in other way)?
Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

s4t wrote:/* what the #$%%^ is going on with this forum HTML?
I just posted same image on another one and it works
The posting of images inside the forum is disabled by C. Ghisler. It is this way already for a long time, see the following post
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=191940#191940 . I have searched but could not find the thread that Clo is reffering to.