Joined: 04 Feb 2003
|Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:02 am Post subject: Total Commander 2.03 public beta 4 for Android
|Total Commander 2.03 public beta 4 for Android is available now!
WARNING: This is a beta version! Please make a backup of your data/SD-Card before using it!
What's new in beta 4?
- Better holo theme integration: Flat buttons, user can select dark or bright theme
- Editor: Faster opening of large text files
- "Default" button in font/color configuration dialog
- Copy timestamp as root when it fails with normal user rights (bug on newer Android versions)
- Support newer Samsung devices which deny write access to /dev/urandom
What's new in beta 3?
- MediaPlayer: Permanently delete selected files via context menu (with confirmation dialog)
- Home folder, USB/SD-card: Support mount point "/dev/fuse" used in some newer Android versions
- Bluetooth headset buttons: Support for fast forward and rewind events (often invoked by a long click on "Next/Previous track")
- Bluetooth headset buttons: Click on "Previous track" now jumps to the beginning of a track when current position >15 seconds
- Get CPU wakelock while playing music in media player, also get WiFi lock while streaming media. Release lock when paused or stopped
What's new in beta 2?
- New internal command Refresh (MTP->PC) to refresh media database to view files from PC
- Detect external SD-Cards+USB drives also on Android 4.3 (where vold.fstab file no longer exists)
- It seems that the permission ACCESS_SUPERUSER must be written in all uppercase letters
What's new in beta 1?
- Testing RAR archive by giving /dev/null as target failed
- Streaming media from plugins not working after closing player with "X" button
- Plugin interface: Support sending the file list in multiple chunks (Android transfer buffer is limited to 1 MByte)
- Get state of RW button (Read/Write permission for current partition) in background thread
- The button to add new buttons to the bar didn't yet have the new minimum width+height of 48dp
- Could not abort unpacking a RAR archive within a large file inside (it was handled via exceptions which are not available on older Android versions)
- Do not react to Back button in the file operation progress dialog (so users don't accidentally abort a transfer)
- List of installed apps: Show paid apps under /mnt/asec with '$' sign in list, copy apk instead of zip if rooted
- TC Media Player: Tap on video while controls are shown now pauses/continues the video
- TC Media Player: Swipe up or down on the left side of the video now adjusts the brightness
- Android 4.3: Cannot write directly to remounted partition in editor -> save to TEMP, then move file to right location
- Re-mount not working correctly on Android 4.3: It only remounts the partition for the "su" process, not for the Java part -> get /proc/mounts via su too
- Set minimum button size to 48dp, otherwise they are too small on Galaxy S4
- Main menu not completely translated when opened via user button (command id 500)
- User-defined buttons: Text for screen readers wrong
- Could not stream via HTTPS, e.g. when playing from official Dropbox app
- Internal command PNG icons damaged by Android SDK "optimizer" -> not working on Android 1.x
The history of changes can now be found here:
The plugins do not need to be updated for this beta.
Here is all the information you need to install:
The beta is not available in the play store because it's not possible to host a final version and beta version at the same time.
You can download TC from us directly and install it on your device. If this is your first installation of TC for Android, please open the "Settings" app of your Android device and go to the "Applications" page. Here you need to allow apps from "Unknown Sources".
Now there are three ways to install Total Commander for Android:
1. If you read this page on your Android device, just click on this link:
2. If you read this page on your PC, and have a barcode scanner app installed on your Android device, double click on the following QR code, then scan it with your phone to start the download. You can get a barcode App by searching for barcode in the market. Personally I'm using the app "Barcode Scanner" by ZXing Team, it's a very simple one, which is open source, so it should be safe.
3. Finally you can of course type in the above link by hand in the web browser of your device.
On some devices, you need to go to apps - downloads to install, clicking on the .apk in the notification area may fail.
The blackberry version has been discontinued because I cannot access my developer account. They changed the login to Blackberry ID, but login to the developer account is no longer possible.
Please post your bug reports and suggestions here in the forum!
Thanks for your help!
Author of Total Commander