Feature request for next version: Options when unpacking

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ctiberg

Feature request for next version: Options when unpacking

Post by *ctiberg »

When you select to pack files, there's a configure button, but not when you are in an archive and are about to unpack, there's no such button when unpacking though, which would be very helpful.
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed the configure dialog for packer plugins is currently only defined for the packing side.What options would be needed for unpacking?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 13-02-2004 17:33:56 +0000 ghisler(Author) wrote:

g> What options would be needed for unpacking?

BTW, Christian, can you comment my related suggestions?[/face]
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Indeed the configure dialog for packer plugins is currently only defined for the packing side.What options would be needed for unpacking?
Well, for one thing it'd be handy to have the ability to rename the files when they're extracted from our AlbumPack plugin.. That's the thing that prompted me to suggest this...

Doing this kind of thing would of course require/need a change in TCMD so that the config screen knows if it's pack or unpack...
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Black Dog
Nice suggestions, but I fear that the parameter passing would cause more harm than it would do good. If you really need per pack parameters, you may consider a solution via a dialog box as I do with the makebat plugin. Not nice, but works well.
ctiberg wrote:Well, for one thing it'd be handy to have the ability to rename the files when they're extracted from our AlbumPack plugin.. That's the thing that prompted me to suggest this...
I see - I will consider a solution. The problem is that currently rename during unpack isn't supported because most external unpackers don't support it.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 16-02-2004 23:22:48 +0000 ghisler(Author) wrote:

g> Nice suggestions, but I fear that the parameter passing
g> would cause more harm than it would do good.

Come on, Christian - what a harm you talking about... The one who needs it will use it, the one who don't can harm oneself some other way - you can add any kind of foolproof but idiots exist inter ana %). W/o parameters passing build-in unpacking routine looks rather castrated (take a look e.g. at MARC with "%S" placeholder you can put anywhere you need it).

g> If you really need per pack parameters, you may consider
g> a solution via a dialog box as I do with the makebat plugin.
g> Not nice, but works well.

Sorry, can't say I follow you here. What "per pack parameters"? 8|[/face]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I mean parameters different for each pack or unpack operation. If this really needed, the plugin could show its own additional dialog box as the makebat plugin does.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 25-02-2004 11:59:56 +0000 ghisler(Author) wrote:

g> If this really needed, the plugin could show its own
g> additional dialog box as the makebat plugin does.

I'm sorry for this but it looks like some kind of misunderstanding happened here. In mentioned above thread I'm talking about BUILD-IN Commander unpacking dialog window (i.e. about passing some unpacking parameters to ZIP, RAR, ARJ etc.), all this is not only about plugins. I just wanted to bring your attention to my suggestion. So please, take a look on it one more time :).[/face]
Hammillian7

Post by *Hammillian7 »

Christian:

I'm sorry if this is not the place to request it. If so, pls tell me where.

After the (for me glorious) addition to TC of the file time preservation, which I very much thank you for, could it be possible (as an "extension" for unpacking (which I already expected then, at the same time as for copying)) to also preserve the date of directories when unpacking them from inside .zip files (or, in general, packed files)? (I wouldn't add more options anywhere, but follow the same option selected for file preservation during normal copies).

Thanks