New: Windows Media Audio v2 (MTP, PlaysForSure) plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Aleq

Post by *Aleq »

CITIGUY, I think you can't compare this plugin to ADB plugin as these are using completely different methods of accessing the files on a device. For instance when you boot into the Recovery, CWM provides ADB which allows ADBFS to work. The MTP is not supported by Recovery AFAIK, therefore it's hardly a fault of this plugin you can't connect while being in recovery. Also regarding 2 - that's the limitation of MTP as well, I think Christian mentioned that already somewhere. MTP in device is working on top of a file database, which was not updated by the program you used.

Christian - I have replied here immediately after you posted your v1.1, but it looks like it was lost somewhere. I did a short test a it solved all my folder issues. Thanks a lot!
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

Aleq wrote:CITIGUY, I think you can't compare this plugin to ADB plugin as these are using completely different methods of accessing the files on a device. For instance when you boot into the Recovery, CWM provides ADB which allows ADBFS to work. The MTP is not supported by Recovery AFAIK, therefore it's hardly a fault of this plugin you can't connect while being in recovery. Also regarding 2 - that's the limitation of MTP as well, I think Christian mentioned that already somewhere. MTP in device is working on top of a file database, which was not updated by the program you used.

Christian - I have replied here immediately after you posted your v1.1, but it looks like it was lost somewhere. I did a short test a it solved all my folder issues. Thanks a lot!
I agree for the ADB in CWM. That's true. And I didn't mention this as a flaw, but rather as information, cause UMS was useful to people who wiped their device without having placed the new ROM file on the SD card beforehand.

I was explaining how this plugin could in general be viewed as a good alternative to UMS and I just mentioned this as a difference and information. May be I shouldn't have mentioned it and you're right.

As for three 2nd (refresh) issue, I just don't understand what you mean. Sorry
I just l want to know is there a way to fix this?

Can you test and see if you can confirm or reproduce the move files in the SD card issue or some of the other issues I mentioned
Aleq

Post by *Aleq »

I see, sure, no problem. The truth is MTP is really not 100 % substitute for UMS. On the other hand (opposite to problems it brings) we got finally an option to access the files without unmounting the partition from the Mobile device. (ADB is perfect in this, but it requires special drivers and it is sometimes moredifficult to set-up, so it's really not for BFUs)

Regarding the database - I'm also not sure if I understand it correctly, so if anyone here knows more, correct me if I'm wrong:
The Android keeps a database in memory which contains the files on the SD card. If you take a picture by camera, download a file with browser etc., it does some additional system calls at the end which updates the in-memory database (list) with the new file. This database is used to list files via MTP. If you change files on the device using "low" level file access, ie. via ADB, File Manager App (?) or similar, the in-memory database and the filesystem become out-of-sync. Since the database doesn't know about the change you made, it is not visible via MTP. At least this is how I understood it. The database is rebuilt after device restart and when the memory card is (re)mounted. You can force the full refresh also by tools like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.clypher.mediascanner - I haven't tried for this purpose, but I have had success with it after copying photos to device via ADB. It was necessary to get them listed in the gallery app.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2CITYGUY
1. Compare by content isn't currently supported in file system plugins because TC would have to download the entire files to compare them. It's supported with FTP only when the server supports one of the commands XCRC, XMD5 or XSHA to get the checksum without downloading the entire file.

2. Folders and files created on the phone only appear with a delay via media interface, because it uses a database and doesn't read from the file system directly.

3. This is currently not supported, sorry

4. ADB and MTP have nothing in common, they are completely different ways to access the device. Your recovery only supports the debug interface method.

5. It's not possible on newer Android devices to set the time stamp. The same problem happens when copying locally. It's a bug which is in the Android debug database, but Google is ignoring it.

6. It is deleted both from the database and from the disk
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

A user has just reported a severe bug in this plugin: It could sometimes delete the wrong file when deleting in a directory with more than 128 files/folders. Please update to the latest version of the plugin for a bugfix:
http://ghisler.fileburst.com/fsplugins/wpdplug.zip
fonix232

Post by *fonix232 »

Great work on the plugin, finally I can manage stuff on my Lumia!

Though, one small request, if possible: on Windows Phone devices (on WP8, any way), you usually only have access to two folders: "Phone" and "SD card". Windows Explorer only shows these two (with proper storage size info), but by using your plugin, I can see a few extra folders that I should not (e.g. Apps, Metadata, MtpDuDeviceService, etc.). Would it be possible to filter these hits and only show the Phone and SD card folders for WinPhone devices?

I would gladly do the changes necessary, but I'm not a C/C++ programmer. If the plugin was written in C# I would fix it in a jiffy, but this way I'm pretty much dead on the spot :/
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately the plugin just shows what the device reports, there is currently no option to filter anything out.
zan69

Post by *zan69 »

Hello. I just tried this plugin with latest TC 8.51RC1 to connect to my Android phone over MTP.
It connect fine and I can see directories and files ok with their original timestamps - excellent!
However, when I copied contents to my local drive, it seems only file timestamps are preserved, but folder timestamps are set to the current time. Of course I've got 'copy date/time of directories' enabled in TC options and it's been working flawlessly for standard directories. Am I missing something or it's a bug?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed it's currently not supported to preserve folder timestamps, sorry. The problem is that when the timestamp is applied and then a file is copied to the folder, Windows changes the folder timestamp to the current time.
zan69

Post by *zan69 »

That's interesting, as I thought this is how copying ordinary folders get timestamp preserved i.e TC sets it after copying the folder contents from source (which can be seen when stopping copying. the folder that copying was interrupted has current time and date). I really hope similar functionality could be implemented for MTP as well, so it would be ultimate backup solution!
Tatone

Media Audio 2 and Background Tranfer Manager

Post by *Tatone »

Hi,
is the Media Audio 2 plugin not compatible with Background Transfer Manager?
When I try to copy or move anything via Media Audio 2 (MTP plugin) using Background Transfer Manager (from my HD to my Samsung Note, Android 4.1) everything seems to be ok: progress bar etc... but when I look at the destination folders (on the Android device) they are empty!
Of course the copy/move procedures without Background Transfer Manager (i.e. via F5/F6) work perfectly.
Is it a known bug? Or is BTM not compatible with Media Audio 2 plugin? (I don't think so).
Thank you
Alessandro
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

How did you even get the MTP plugin into background transfer manager? This isn't supported, so I wonder what you did...
Tatone

Post by *Tatone »

Very easy:
1) left panel: media audio 2 / my android device (etc.) / then select the target folder
2) right panel: select the files to copy/move in the origin folder
3) Open the Background Tranfer Manager e chose copy or move.
No errors, no messages indicating that the BTM doesn't work in this case. Everithing seems to work fine, with a very quick (too quick) progress bar and the positive final message ("complete" or something similar).
The only way to discover that this operation is not allowed is to look at the destination directories (empty...)

Toady a phone/tablet wit ext SD card can have more than 32 or 64 GB available for music/videos transfers, so, in my opinion, the Background Tranfer Manager could be a great functionality even in this case.

Thank you for your attention.
Ciao,
Alessandro
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I will check it.
mab007

Post by *mab007 »

Plugin freezes completely Total Commander (tested on 8.x version) in case of deleting file in four of six tries, other one case it deletes file, but it takes too much time and only 1 of 8 tries all works perfectly and quick. In case of delete mutiple files, it freezes everytime. Win7 x64 Ultimate.