QuickSwitch and JumpToFolder AHK scripts

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

QuickSwitch and JumpToFolder AHK scripts

Post by *Horst.Epp »

This 2 AHK scripts from the same Author make life much easier.
Both support many file managers including TC of course.

QuickSwitch allows to switch to file managers current folder in standard file open/save dialogs.
https://github.com/gepruts/QuickSwitch
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9881

JumpToFolder uses Everything search to jump to search results (file or folder)
in the file manager.
It also supports Everything search in standard file open/save dialogs.
https://github.com/gepruts/JumpToFolder
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11194&p=43580#p43579
Last edited by Horst.Epp on 2022-04-05, 17:35 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: QuickSwitch and JumpToFolder AHK scripts

Post by *tuska »

QuickSwitch - Download x64, x86 - Infos
Note: Ctrl-Q ... QuickSwitch Menu

Option - Autostart:
  • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\CTRL-Q_QuickSwitch_2022-04-03_v05_x64.exe.lnk
    - OR -
  • C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\CTRL-Q_QuickSwitch_2022-04-03_v05_x64.exe.lnk
    [Windows Explorer address --> shell:startup]
Tested on 4.4.2022, e.g. with various file managers including TC, 'Everything', editors, MS-Office, Adobe Acrobat, browser, etc. EDIT:
- Added: Startup path C:\Users\<user>\...
- Added: Test results
Last edited by tuska on 2022-04-06, 16:57 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

tuska wrote: 2022-04-05, 12:27 UTC QuickSwitch - Download x64, x86 - Infos
Note: Ctrl-Q ... QuickSwitch Menu

Option - Autostart:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\CTRL-Q_QuickSwitch_2022-04-03_v05_x64.exe.lnk
Danke, ich habe den einleitenden Post aktualisiert.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Nice scripts, very useful. Anyway I still prefer Flashfolder for this.

In Everything pressing Ctrl+Enter switches to configured filemanager and opens the selected dir or file. Do I miss something in the JumpToFolder script?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

solid wrote: 2022-04-07, 07:25 UTC Nice scripts, very useful. Anyway I still prefer Flashfolder for this.

In Everything pressing Ctrl+Enter switches to configured filemanager and opens the selected dir or file. Do I miss something in the JumpToFolder script?
Yes, there is no support for using Everything search in open/save dialogs in Flashfolder.
I use Quick Access Popup for the functions Flashfolder provides as this is out of support since a long time.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2022-04-07, 07:51 UTC Yes, there is no support for using Everything search in open/save dialogs in Flashfolder.
I use Quick Access Popup for the functions Flashfolder provides as this is out of support since a long time.
I like Flashfolder because it is always accessible in the open/save/browse dialog boxes, no need to click or press shortcuts to activate is. Also because it integrates TC's hotlist and source/target tabs, which are just one mouse click away in any dialog. It is abandoned as a project, but still works.

QAP is a great utility, but I find its TC's integration too cumbersome.

I was talking about the purpose of JumpToFolder script.
It invokes Everything via context menu, user selects the wanted item, the script opens the path of the item in the file manager.
Currently, I start Everything on shortcut, select the wanted item, press Ctrl+Enter, path opens in file manager. Same result, faster execution.

I see that script has advantages for users with multiple file managers since it works from the program it is called, not only the preconfigured one. But for users like me that uses only TC makes no difference.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

solid wrote: 2022-04-07, 08:41 UTC I was talking about the purpose of JumpToFolder script.
It invokes Everything via context menu, user selects the wanted item, the script opens the path of the item in the file manager.
Currently, I start Everything on shortcut, select the wanted item, press Ctrl+Enter, path opens in file manager. Same result, faster execution.
No, as I said you have no Everything search in open/save dialogs in your way.
Thats the 2nd function JumpToFolder provides.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2022-04-07, 08:45 UTC
solid wrote: 2022-04-07, 08:41 UTC I was talking about the purpose of JumpToFolder script.
No, as I said you have no Everything search in open/save dialogs in your way.
Thats the 2nd function JumpToFolder provides.
No, but I have Everything search in TC and FF is a bridge between any open/browse dialog and TC. Still faster than with the script.

I guess it is all matter of workflow and habit. I'm sure many people will find the script more useful.
Also it is good that there are suitable replacements for abandoned utilities that can be broken with any OS update.
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

First of all: Thank you Horst for mentioning this on the TC forums!
When time comes, I will post more details about these utilities.

To answer some questions:
solid wrote: 2022-04-07, 08:41 UTC I like Flashfolder because it is always accessible in the open/save/browse dialog boxes, no need to click or press shortcuts to activate is. Also because it integrates TC's hotlist and source/target tabs, which are just one mouse click away in any dialog. It is abandoned as a project, but still works.
I am surprised FlashFolder still works. They must have done something right ...
In the XP-days these "inject DLL's in dialogs" tools were quite common, but when Vista introduced new dialogs, most of them slowly died-off (Flashfolder's last update was also 14 years ago; just after Vista was introduced)

I inspected the MSI. Next to DLL-injection, Flashfolder also installs a service. Not something I want to install on my system (doubt if it is secure by modern standards).

(FWIW: JumpToFolder uses zero resources. It is not running in the background. You activate it through the context-menu or with a keyboard shortcut/button).

But everyone is different and everyone should use what they want. Familiarity and muscle-memory are important factors in productivity.
Not trying to convince anyone to start using JumpToFolder. If it fits your workflow, it *can* be useful.

solid wrote: 2022-04-07, 08:41 UTC I see that script has advantages for users with multiple file managers since it works from the program it is called, not only the preconfigured one. But for users like me that uses only TC makes no difference.
Even for people that only use TC.

There are situations that a 32-bit TC is needed next to a 64-bit TC. Or two TC instances of the same bitness.
Everything can't distinguish between those.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

NotNull wrote: 2022-04-19, 19:17 UTC I am surprised FlashFolder still works. They must have done something right ...
I'm also surprised that still works in win10. I haven't 11 to check is it usable there too.
I've been using FF since its introduction long time ago. Never had any issues with security, cpu or memory usage. It uses minimal memory and "sleeps" all the time.
I appreciate tools that makes possible working with less effort, clicks, types, time or anything else.

As i said previously, it is good script that can be useful to many users.
Keep up the good work and please notify us of any updates.