USB link data cable connection issue

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, no idea - try starting standalone server as administrator.

1. Create link to totalcmd.exe
2. Open the properties of the link
3. Add parameter /S=P:USB
4. Set option to run it as an administrator
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sunset

Post by *sunset »

No changes, if I directly start the server as admin: the server mode don*t find the port, the client mode finds the port.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's odd, they use the same functions to access the port! I will check in a debugger whether there is any difference in how the port is opened.
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

Well, much time has passed and now I have more info about those cables. First, UANC22V7 cable from Gembird definitely does NOT work with TC as it's built on 2208NF chip from Ours Technology. Additionally it has its own specific API to work with, which differs from Windows API. Second, cables TU2-PCLINK "High-Speed PC-to-PC Share Cable" from Trendnet and DL-USB015 "USB Data Link Cable" do NOT work with TC also as they are based on 2108 chip from Ours Technology. And third, cable U-441 "Windows Easy Transfer Cable" from ST-Lab is perfectly working in TC (I noticed similar cable U-440 on the list). I'm almost satisfied with last cable but I thought of further use of OTI cables...

ghisler(Author)
What, if I get proper SDK package from the supplier? Can you adapt TC to work with OTI cables? Maybe not for 2108 as it's pretty old but for 2208NF?.. I can do some beta tests with the cables.

Moderator message from: white » 2023-08-18, 11:05 UTC

Links to info about the 2108 chip and 2208NF chip no longer work.

Links that still work at this moment (8/18/2023):
Last edited by white on 2023-08-18, 11:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added working links.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is very very little chance for a small company like us to get such low level information. Just use a cable supporting the Microsoft standard and it will work out of the box.
B@ron

Post by *B@ron »

I need to contact dadreamer, about OTI cables, but I do not work out, because Private Messages disabled
Private messaging has been disabled on this board.

p.s. OTI cables are most popular in the Chinese stores (ali, dx, etc), also other developers - Agestar, Gembird use chips OTI, but the native software is difficult to use :(
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

B@ron
What kind of question do you have? Yes, I agree with you that their apps could be more user-friendly and more stable. So, it'd be great if TC had OTi support in it but it's likely that ghisler(Author) isn't going to implement this functionality due to some reason. Now I have OTi cables' protocol almost fully reversed and able to reproduce its behaviour in my test apps. So, it even doesn't need any libraries except for windows native ones.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why not write a Total Commander file system plugin?
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

ghisler(Author)
Well, I'm absolutely new to TC plugins coding, so it will require some time and efforts to figure out what's going on there. I briefly looked at your manual and sample plugin project. Still cannot understand, where I should place device (chip) service functions (search for device, establising a connection, keeping a connection alive, etc). There also must be some message queue mechanism, but I don't see yet, how it could be inserted into your example. It seems that there are file operations functions only...

Maybe, this task could be solved better by a man, who already had deals with TC plugins. I can write some short manual with protocol details.
B@ron

Post by *B@ron »

dadreamer wrote:B@ron
What kind of question do you have?
just wanted to know about the accumulated experience of chips OTI - on the Internet oti chips very little information :)

p.s. я так понял вы тоже из России ? киньте email для связи на xenoclown@яндекс.ру, если не затруднит :) (мейл написал русскими, дабы спам-боты не подхватили)
ghisler wrote:Why not write a Total Commander file system plugin?
+1 :)

dadreamer, really need a plugin for TC, for working with cables on chips OTI. In addition UANC22v7, I also used cables A820 & A830-based chips OTI
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

B@ron wrote:just wanted to know about the accumulated experience of chips OTI - on the Internet oti chips very little information :)

p.s. я так понял вы тоже из России ? киньте email для связи на xenoclown@яндекс.ру, если не затруднит :)
E-mail option is activated now, so you may p.m. me :wink:
B@ron wrote:dadreamer, really need a plugin for TC
I decided not to go for it 'cause I'm quite busy now and just don't have enough time to puzzle out TC's plugin architecture and write anything. If you feel that you are into programming then I may give you some advices where to start. If you're not, then wait for some guy who'll do the trick :)
B@ron wrote:I also used cables A820 & A830-based chips OTI
Cannot find any info on these chips... How did you determine chips names? Generally, you should look at Windows Device Manager properties of USB device to get correct VID/PID of the chip.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]B@ron,
я так понял вы тоже из России ? киньте email для связи на xenoclown@яндекс.ру, если не затруднит (мейл написал русскими, дабы спам-боты не подхватили)
This is an English-only forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

ghisler(Author)
Could you post the sources of your winusbtest.exe utility or point me to the samples of how to implement Windows Easy Transfer connection?.. I'd like to realize simple message based communication with the Windows standard cables. I'm not going to write another file transfer tool as TC is the best for it. :wink:
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

ghisler(Author)

I'd like to report some interesting things about new USB 3.0 cables. As you maybe know I have purchased Goobay USB 3.0 Active USB Data Link Cable (IUSB-LINK-770) based on Windows Easy Transfer standard. But also I've ordered Delock Cable Data Link + KM Switch USB 3.0 based on OTi-7300 chipset by Ours Technology. I knew that the latter cable won't work with TC as it's built on OTi. To my big surprise it turned out that the cable started to use drivers on the top of winusb.sys! Not immediately of course. First, it has installed a bunch of its own drivers for keyboard, mouse, network (RNDIS) support. I decided to test winusbtest.exe utility and it won't work. Then I have applied some black magic to winsubtest.exe as the cable had different GUID than other WET cables have. Here it is:

Code: Select all

{bc103702-dd72-406f-9b28-95c868337b59}
So, finally I've got winusbtest.exe working with that cable! Tested it on Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8.1 64-bit. Well, I didn't dare trying such black magic w/ TC but my curiosity got the best of me :D I did a try and all worked! Now I'm able to copy any files between my two PCs with TC. Tested it out in both server and client modes. Works like a charm. (transfer speed is approx. 30 MB/s or a bit larger) 8)
Note: to get it normally working I had to unload and disable autorun of native OTi software (Mac KM Link).

Although I'm satisfied with the result I don't want to use these hackish things :wink: So I suggest adding this new GUID of that cable to the new TC version. You might allow the user to select which cable he/she is using or search for all the cables available.

Moderator message from: white » 2023-08-18, 11:05 UTC

Link to info about the OTi-7300 chip no longer working.

Link that still works at this moment (8/18/2023):
Last edited by white on 2023-08-18, 11:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added working link
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's great! It means that the cable uses the winusb generic USB driver too! How did you find out the cable GUID? I think that hard coding other GUIDs is inefficient because there are new cables all the time.

I could either try to find new cables via registry, or let the user add the GUID to the wincmd.ini himself.