Wrong network drive reference

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

findev

Wrong network drive reference

Post by *findev »

Hi,

I had in system network drive W mapped to \\T42\w, could access it via TC and Explorer. Then I (in My computer) unmapped the drive and mapped again W, but to different host (actually I renamed T42 PC to server) \\server\w.

I can open this drive via explorer, but in TC if I press Alt+F2 I see that it is still pointing to \\T42\w (when I select - it can't open). Tried restarting TC - didn't help.

I could replicate this on 2 computers, but haven't restarted any of those computers to see if issue is gone after reboot (prolly it will)
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Windows 7 (or Vista) and running TC with "Run as Administrator"?

Mapped network drives are user specific and an elevated user is counted as different user.

Regards
Holger
findev

Post by *findev »

HolgerK wrote:Windows 7 (or Vista) and running TC with "Run as Administrator"?

Mapped network drives are user specific and an elevated user is counted as different user.

Regards
Holger
Windows 7 x64 and TC running as Administrator (I always run it as admin).

P.S.: still haven't rebooted the PC, issue is still there
findev

Small experiment

Post by *findev »

Hi,

just made small experiment at work PC, I had TC running on Win7 x64 as admin, I went to My computer and created mapped network drive z, I confirmed that it opens, switched back to TC, it doesnt see the letter, restarted TC - yes, network drive is there, can open, everything is fine. Next, I went back to My computer -> right click on newly mapped drive -> Disconnect, drive disappeared, switched to TC drive was still there and was functional, I restarted TC and drive was still there and still functional.

Hope this helps
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

As i said, elevated and normal user are handled like different users.
If you map a drive from explorer (I guess this is what you did) the mapping is done with normal user rights, and not visible inside an elevated TC until you do the same inside TC.
This is not a TC bug, but a known behavior of UAC enabled Windows version.

BTW:
(I always run it as admin)
This is a security risk. :!:
It means that every process started from this TC (even documents opened via file association) are also elevated.
If TC is your primary tool to search and open files or programs, you can also turn the UAC completely off. :?

Regards
Holger
findev

Post by *findev »

HolgerK wrote:As i said, elevated and normal user are handled like different users.
If you map a drive from explorer (I guess this is what you did) the mapping is done with normal user rights, and not visible inside an elevated TC until you do the same inside TC.
This is not a TC bug, but a known behavior of UAC enabled Windows version.

BTW:
(I always run it as admin)
This is a security risk. :!:
It means that every process started from this TC (even documents opened via file association) are also elevated.
If TC is your primary tool to search and open files or programs, you can also turn the UAC completely off. :?

Regards
Holger
Yes, I tried to run TC without elevation - mapped drive was pointing to correct location.

Running TC as admin is a security risk, but I'm not worried cause I know my use cases (no matter how this sounds :).
One needs to run Visual Studio as admin to access IIS :)

And no, I dont agree that turning of UAC is a good option here.

Anyway, thanks for your help and have a good weekend!
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

One needs to run Visual Studio as admin to access IIS Smile
Some task may require elevation. But TC? Always?
And no, I dont agree that turning of UAC is a good option here.
I didn't say that this is a good option but meant that this option may have the same security gaps

Anyway, it's your decision.

Regards
Holger