[TC 8 b17a] Settings file

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rblock

[TC 8 b17a] Settings file

Post by *rblock »

Hi,

at installation time for TC 8 b17a, I choosed "c:\ProgramData\Total Commander" as settings folder. But TC 8 accesses the folder "c:\ProgramData\wincmd" with the settings for the current stable version 7.56a.

Hinting greetings

Reiner
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

As far as I know, you can't properly install more than one TC at a time. All its instances will share the same settings. For me, the easiest way to deal with it was to switch other instances to a portable mode.

If there is a wincmd.ini in TC's directory and it contains UseIniInProgramDir=7 in its [Configuration] section, TC will use this file to store all of its settings. This way you can have several TC installations and all of them will store their settings in their own directories.
Warning: TC must have a privilege to write to its wincmd.ini (and also wcx_ftp.ini, if you use it).
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
rblock

Post by *rblock »

Hi,

that's no good idea, because UAC will take a close I on this file and every time to write it you'll get a warning dialog.

Better is that Christian reconsider the current implementation and improves the handling of it. Because something is wrong in the design if all versions of a software take the same registry keys where to find the settings file.

Hm, as I could see he already did but there's something wrong with the implementation or it is still missing.

Image: http://www.feba-software.de/downloads/TC8b17a.jpg

Just my five cent of about 20 years of software development. :wink:

Experienced greetings

Reiner
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

rblock wrote:that's no good idea
Maybe, but it's the simplest working solution I've found.
rblock wrote:UAC will take a close I on this file and every time to write it you'll get a warning dialog.
That's why I said you have to give to TC a permission to modify its wincmd.ini. And BTW, if you don't enable that permission, you won't get any UAC dialog either. TC will simply not save any changes to that file, without any warning.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

This is not a bug, just an unexpected behavior (and nothing has changed since it was reported). Shouldn't this be moved to another subforum?
rblock

Post by *rblock »

umbra wrote:This is not a bug, just an unexpected behavior
<LOL>

No Software shall write into the Programs folders but in the common ProgramData folder or in the user space. :!:

Therefore it is a bug and not just an unexpected behavior! 8)

At Linux/Unix it is forbidden and not possible to write into the software installation folders, too.

Headshaking greetings

Reiner
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2rblock
Sorry, but I don't understand. By default, TC does not write into its installation folder, so your last post doesn't make sense to me. You complained, that different TC installations were using the same configuration file instead of their own. That is intended and as such it "is not a bug, just an unexpected behavior".
If you wish, make a feature request (I doubt you would be a first one to ask for that feature).
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 8 b17a] Settings file

Post by *HolgerK »

rblock wrote:at installation time for TC 8 b17a, I choosed "c:\ProgramData\Total Commander" as settings folder.
No Software shall write into the Programs folders but in the common ProgramData folder or in the user space.
Just for the record:
Only elevated installer may write to %Programfiles% or %Programdata%.
Programs running in user context are only allowed to write to the user specific application data path (local or roaming).

Regards
Holger