[TC 8.0b17a x64] Lost of Directory hotlist: bug not resolved

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DjobyDjoba

[TC 8.0b17a x64] Lost of Directory hotlist: bug not resolved

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Hello,

Windows 7 x64, TC8.0 beta 17a x64.

Despite the changelog for v8.0 beta 17a ("Fixed critical error in function "add a new entry directly to a submenu" which could cause the loss of menu items"), I've just lost my hotlist.

From a totally fresh install of TC (new PC), I was building the hotlist and, with the insertion of a submenu entry the list disappeared and TC hanged. When reopening, the hotlist was populated with entries of one Japanese (or Chinese ?) symbol.

Regards.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Cannot reproduce, and cannot find any bug in my code, sorry.

Are you able to reproduce the problem? If yes, can you send me a sample menu with this problem?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Hello,

I will recreate my menu hotlist and see if the problem occurs again.
What do you mean by "a sample menu" ? The entries ? A file ?

Thanks.
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Ok, I've just enter 5 entries (A sub-menu, and 4 sub entries) and the hotlist configuration window hangs. When I insist, the window closes and the menu becomes :

Image: http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/754912Pressepapiers2.png

and then TC crashes :

Nom d’événement de problème: APPCRASH
Nom de l’application: TOTALCMD64.EXE
Version de l’application: 8.0.0.1
Horodatage de l’application: 00000000
Nom du module par défaut: KERNELBASE.dll
Version du module par défaut: 6.1.7600.16850
Horodateur du module par défaut: 4e211da1
Code de l’exception: c00000fd
Décalage de l’exception: 0000000000001726
Version du système: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 1036
Information supplémentaire n° 1: ddd4
Information supplémentaire n° 2: ddd40ff1646f5e1dbb6aa7a2ccf82e67
Information supplémentaire n° 3: 529b
Information supplémentaire n° 4: 529b5179a206d3cd0700a028eb2584c0

Thanks.

PS : The entries :

Système
  • Program Files
    Program Files (x64)
    User\Vianney
    Windows
    ProgramData

Hope this will help.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I still cannot reproduce your problem. Here is what I tried:
1. Start TC with fresh wincmd.ini
2. Ctrl+D
3. Configure
4. Submenu -> Système - OK - OK
5. Go to "Program Files "
6. Ctrl+D - Add - to submenu "Système" - OK
7. Repeat 5+6 for Program Files (x64)
8. Repeat 5+6 for User\Vianney
8. Repeat 5+6 for Windows
8. Repeat 5+6 for ProgramData
What do you mean by "a sample menu" ? The entries ? A file ?
The entries from your wincmd.ini before the error occurs, and a description what to do to make the error occur. Just make a copy of the wincmd.ini after adding each directory, until the error occurs. Then send me the wincmd.ini where it was still OK.
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

I encountered exactly the same issue.
I had over 40 entries in the hotlist menu when I tried to add a few more (6-7) & after the GUI stucked & Total Commander crashed, I noticed that my wincmd.ini had corrupted DirMenu entries.

Then, I reverted to a previously saved wincmd.ini file & after trying to manipulate the menus, it got stuck again, but did not turn corrupted.

I have a hint regarding reproduction: on both my cases, what I did was adding several entries & then edit them (not directly editing wincmd.ini, but simply editing the 2 fields: Command & Target Path.

I have Win7 x64 & the first issue occurred to me on 8.0 beta 10 or 12 (I don't quite remember), but the 2nd issue (stuck but not turned corrupted) was on 8.0 beta 17.

Hope it helps.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had over 40 entries in the hotlist menu when I tried to add a few more (6-7) & after the GUI stucked & Total Commander crashed, I noticed that my wincmd.ini had corrupted DirMenu entries.
Sorry, that's a completely different problem. The problem in beta 17 was when adding menu items directly to a submenu via the Ctrl+D menu, not with the "Configure" dialog.

What you experience is probably a slow virus scanner which scans the ini file again on each write access (although ini files cannot contain any viruses anyway). Since moving around menu items moves a lot of items, this can take a while with such "braindead" virus scanners. Just be patient and wait until the data has been written.
I have Win7 x64 & the first issue occurred to me on 8.0 beta 10 or 12
Then it's really unrelated, the above feature was added to beta 17 only (and fixed in beta 17a).

2DjobyDjoba
Can you give me more details, please? I'm still unable to reproduce your problem. :(
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Hello Ghisler,

The problem described by RADiCAL seems very similar to mine.

Try this to reproduce the problem from a fresh install :

Switch language in Configuration to French
Ctrl+D -> Configurer
Sous-menu -> Système -> Confirmer
Ajouter -> Program Files -> Confirmer
Ajouter -> Program Files (x64) -> Confirmer
Ajouter -> anything -> Confirmer
Ajouter -> anything -> Confirmer

The problem isn't perfectly reproducible, but if you add entries, at a point the hotlist should become suddenly empty, the button Annuler/Echap should not respond, the program should hang, asian symbols should appear (after restarting TC)..

Regards.
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
Sorry, that's a completely different problem. The problem in beta 17 was when adding menu items directly to a submenu via the Ctrl+D menu, not with the "Configure" dialog.
Ghisler, when I first read this post, it looked exactly like my problem: the description & the asian marks in DjobyDjoba's JPG. I did not use the direct method for adding an entry into a submenu.

When I Was patient & waited to get the control back on Total Commander window, it eventually crashed by itself after displaying the Win7 Troubleshooting frame for a few more seconds that the GUI hanged.

The only time I observed the wincmd.ini corruption was on one of the previous builds (17 > build >= 10). It was definitely not on 17 or 17a.

Additionally, I encountered the hanging issue for more than 10 seconds 2-3 times on 17a (the last time was a few hours @work). It was always on the same PC.

According to DjobyDjoba's last post, it looks like he used the dialog box rather than directly adding entries to submenu(s).

I can try turning off the AV (Symantec Corporate) & attempt to reproduce (I did not have time to spend this week & actually was frustrated I lost my hotlist).

Please let me know how u want to advance from this point on.
ghisler(Author) wrote:What you experience is probably a slow virus scanner which scans the ini file again on each write access (although ini files cannot contain any viruses anyway). Since moving around menu items moves a lot of items, this can take a while with such "braindead" virus scanners. Just be patient and wait until the data has been written.
Does Total Commander writes to the ini file on each addition or only on the final confirmation (before returning to the main window) ?
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Hello,

As far as I'm concerned I have no antivirus on my PC at this time.

D.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2DjobyDjoba
Thanks for the step by step instructions, I could reproduce it now! It has nothiung to do with submenus - it also happens when just opening the "Add item" dialog 7 or 8 times, even when not adding anything. It's a completely different error than the one fixed in beta 17a. I will fix it in beta 18 today.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This problem should be fixed now too in beta 18. Please test it.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I can confirm that fix introduced in beta 18 works.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks! Can anyone else confirm the fix too, please?