How to display Network Neighbourhood in TCMD on Win7?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

larsras

How to display Network Neighbourhood in TCMD on Win7?

Post by *larsras »

Hi

Used to display all my shortcuts on XP, but dissappeared in Win7.
Tried both 7.56 and 8.0b17a.

br Lars
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It is a Windows 7 problem, it is absent in Explorer too.
larsras

Post by *larsras »

If i open Windows Explorer and point to my PC, i get my local drives, my mapped drives and my network neighbour shortcuts listed, so it actually works here.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's a Windows 7 misfeature - the network links are now in "My Computer". You can go there in TC to: Commands - Open Desktop directory, then double click on "My Computer". Or use a button with command cm_opendrives .
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fgasoi

Win 7 Network Neighbourhood

Post by *fgasoi »

I am on a LAN at work with multiple workgroups. TC network neighbourhood shows only the members of my workgroup, while Win7 explorer shows all members of all workgroups (takes a while to scan even though there are only 1/2 dozen machines).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is no function to list the workgroups from outside of TC directly, sorry. TC8 will have a subfolder with the entry "Entire Network" where you can browse through them. T o see this folder in TC 7.56a, create a button with the command
cd ::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

Unfortunately there is no way to go directly to "Entire Network". :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
larsras

Post by *larsras »

Thanks for the tip in TC with opendrives. Works great :-)
Appenzeller

Post by *Appenzeller »

ghisler(Author) wrote:There is no function to list the workgroups from outside of TC directly, sorry. TC8 will have a subfolder with the entry "Entire Network" where you can browse through them. T o see this folder in TC 7.56a, create a button with the command
cd ::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

Unfortunately there is no way to go directly to "Entire Network". :(
There is a simple way to have all workgroups or all computers of any workgroup listed in TC panel. The steps are as follows:

1) Download a file from Microsoft and run it to fix a problem of displaying multiple workgroups in XP (I cannot place a link, but this is a problem No. 903267 in the Microsoft Support page, easy to locate by a title "You cannot view other workgroup computers on the network on a Windows XP-based computer");

2) In TC panel open "Network Neighborhood", then enter "Entire Network", to see the "Microsoft Windows Network" directory

3) With the right mouse click on the "Microsoft Windows Network" directory to open the popup menu and select "Create a shortcut"; agree to place it on the Desktop

4) Enter the "Microsoft Windows Network" directory to see a list of available workgroups

5) Prepare shortcuts to all of them just like in 3)

6) Move all created shortcut (*.lnk) files to any chosen directory (I use "Program files" to this end) and rename them if you wish

7) To make a list of workgroups or a list of computers in any workgroup available at a click, create a button in TC and insert as a command: cd "full path to a link file" (for example: cd "c:\Program Files\Shortcut to Microsoft Windows Network.lnk" will show in a TC panel a list of available workgroups.

I use such buttons for several years.
And, Mr Ghisler, great thanks. TC is the best ever :idea: - my indispensable everyday tool.