Directory count not working on space bar

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

piccolo

Directory count not working on space bar

Post by *piccolo »

This is simple, in a dir with the current (but not colored) dir a press on the space bar used to count the dirsize (in 7.56 and before). This no longer works. Also ALT+SHIFT+SPACE no longer counts all dirs..
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, cannot reproduce - works fine here!

Can you give me more information, please?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2piccolo
Are you able to reproduce this problem regularly? If yes, does the first folder where it stops working contain any kind of symbolic links (junctions, reparse points)? TC shows them with <LNK> instead of <DIR> in the size column.
zwettler

Post by *zwettler »

same problem here. no fresh install, i updated from 7.56a to 7.57 because i did not want to lose my settings. space bar only shows a question mark, nothing else happens. alt+shift+enter has the same problem. no fishy files inside the folders. i am on windows 7 professional x64 sp1. antivirus turned off.

...andi

edit: its working fine on a virtual windows xp sp3 machine in vmware player.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, zwettler.

Just checked it here using Total Commander v7.57: pressed spacebar on several folders.
It works as designed and as expected:
  • After pressing spacebar on small folders, i.e. holding only a small number of subfolders and files, T.C. will immediately display the accumulated size.
  • After pressing spacebar on large folders, i.e. holding a large number of subfolders and files like e.g. my homefolder, T.C. will display a question mark for a while. This question mark tells me that T.C. is still collecting the files and sub-folder sizes. After a few seconds T.C. will display the accumulated size.
If you press the spacebar on the folder C:\windows then T.C. may display the question mark for more than a minute or two. But in the end the accumulated foldersize will be displayed.

The same is true for <Alt><Shift><Enter>: It works fine here. Yet, as it performs the action for all sub-foldertrees in the current folder, you may see the question marks next to some foldernames for quite a while before they are replaced by the calculated foldersizes.

Total Commander v7.57 under Wine v1.2.3 on Ubuntu 10.04.4 Desktop 32-bit.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2zwettler
Does it help if you use cm_UnloadPlugins or restart TC?
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
zwettler

Post by *zwettler »

2umbra
thanks for your hint! cm_UnloadPlugins did it.
where can i find details about cm_UnloadPlugins?
i am a bit confused, the name suggests it will unload all plugins? but they are still working and after a restart of tc, space bar dirsize is working again as expected.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Basically it removes all currently loaded plugins from memory so for a moment, TC is "plugin-free". But if you do any operation that requires a plugin, that plugin will be loaded again.
If I remember correctly it also completely resets the "occupied space counting" function. I don't know any details, however the author (Ghisler) suggested that in other very similar cases.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please try it with Total Commander 7.57a release candidate 1:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=242914

I'm using the code from TC 7.56a now (with slight changes only) to check for infinite loops, so it will not catch all of them. However, it should at least no longer stop. Since I cannot reproduce the problem myself, I cannot guarantee that it will work. Therefore I have added some code to detect where exactly it hangs.

Please add the following string to the file wincmd.ini, section [Configuration]:
DebugIconThread=1

You can edit the wincmd.ini via Configuration - Change settings files directly.

When it starts to hang, you can go to the temp directory with
cd %TEMP%
and look at the file tcicolog.txt. It's a log file of the icon thread and related operations in the foreground thread.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please try it with Total Commander 7.57a release candidate 1:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=242914

I'm using the code from TC 7.56a now (with slight changes only) to check for infinite loops, so it will not catch all of them. However, it should at least no longer stop. Since I cannot reproduce the problem myself, I cannot guarantee that it will work. Therefore I have added some code to detect where exactly it hangs.

Please add the following string to the file wincmd.ini, section [Configuration]:
DebugIconThread=1

You can edit the wincmd.ini via Configuration - Change settings files directly.

When it starts to hang, you can go to the temp directory with
cd %TEMP%
and look at the file tcicolog.txt. It's a log file of the icon thread and related operations in the foreground thread.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any news? I would like to release TC 7.57a this week, but it's difficult without any feedback at all...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tomorrow (Friday) I will release TC 7.57a. If I don't get any feedback by then, you will unfortunately have to live with this problem until the release of TC8, sorry.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Sorry, Christian.

Cannot really give any helpful feedback:
So far I have not been able to reproduce the reported problem
+ using Total Commander v7.57
+ on Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit) or
+ on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 (32-bit)

As a consequence I cannot not give any valid statement on whether Total Commander v7.57a RC1 solves the reported problem or not.

It is a pity that in the German thread as well as in this thread those who reported the problem did not seem to take the time to give Total Commander 7.57a RC1 a try and report back.

Hopefully there will not be any complaints on Friday afternoon that T.C. 7.57a did not fix the reported problem.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Karlchen, the problem with this issue is that it is practically impossible to reproduce (at least for me). It happened to me twice back in January but never since. So it's kinda hard to test, if it's fixed in TC 7.57.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, umbra.

I do realize that it does not seem to be trivial to reproduce the reported misbehaviour. :) Else there would have been more "bug confirmed" posts in the German thread an in this thread, too.
This is why it is such a pity that the thread starters have not reported back whether T.C. 7.57a RC1 fixed the problem for them.

Kind regards,
Karl
The Prophet's Song