Troubles with GMail-please read if you use it to contact us!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Troubles with GMail-please read if you use it to contact us!

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately suddenly all our e-mails sent to any GMail address immediately go to the Spam folder. This is very unfortunate, because the Spam folder can only be seen when using the Web interface.

If you ordered a key from us or asked a question and used a GMail address, please check the Spam folder of your account!

Our server isn't on any blacklists (RBL) and doesn't send any Spam. Also no other hosts seem to have this problem. I assume that the forum is sending too many e-mails to GMail, so it is considered as bulk mail.

As an immediate countermeasure, we therefore no longer allow any new forum accounts with GMail addresses. We also do not send any mail notifications to GMail for whatched topics. We are also not going to send the new version newsletter to GMail users.

I hope that we will get down from their blacklist soon.

If you get an e-mail from us to the Spam folder, please click on the "Not spam" button!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Spam folder can also be seen when using the imap interface

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This is very unfortunate, because the Spam folder can only be seen when using the Web interface.
It can also be seen when using the imap interface.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Are both ghisler.ch and ghisler.com blocked domains?
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

They are now on the same server. GMail seems to be blocking the IP address.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Troubles with GMail-please read if you use it to contact

Post by *Valentino »

Christian, I understand this:
ghisler(Author) wrote:we therefore no longer allow any new forum accounts with GMail addresses.
as a way to reduce number of emails to gmail caused by spammers. But I don't understand this:
ghisler(Author) wrote:We also do not send any mail notifications to GMail for whatched topics. We are also not going to send the new version newsletter to GMail users.
This is not causing too many emails from normal registered users (at least other mailing lists I'm subscribed to, are working fine). Since my Spam folder is empty, I cannot follow your advice:
ghisler(Author) wrote:If you get an e-mail from us to the Spam folder, please click on the "Not spam" button!
ghisler(Author) wrote:I hope that we will get down from their blacklist soon.
You are not on their blacklist, just their spam filter sometimes makes a miss. This happens sometimes with other mailing lists too. This is normal situation.

Please start sending notification emails to gmail again. We are all quite busy, so sometimes we forget about the threads we posted at and would like to know the news. Sometimes thread is moved/merged so one have to search for it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually we are on their blacklist - I tried it with my own GMail account, even mails containing just the word "test" were blacklisted. Only individual recipients can get senders from the blacklist, but only for that specific receipient. There are two ways to receive mail from us which doesn't go to the spam folder:
1. If you click on the button "this is not spam"
or
2. If you send us an e-mail, and we reply to it.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Thank you for reply!
1. This does not work because my spam folder is empty (just checked again). Apparently because you wrote: "We also do not send any mail notifications to GMail for whatched topics".
2. I've just sent you an email from my gmail account (to forumadmin at ghisler com, right?) with subject "Please send notifications for watched topics".
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Why don't you point people to create filters which permanently solves the problem - and maybe even faster will lead to excluding your domains from the blacklist - instead of manually click on "this is not spam".
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I want to reduce mails sent to GMail as much as possible to increase the chance to get down from their spam filter.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
I thought that Googles algorithm is smart enough to recognize mails marked as not spam/filtered as not spam in order to remove your domain from the blacklist automatically.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I read through their docs, and found somewhere that you autoatically get on their spammer list when the number of mails per day reaches a certain limit.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

ghisler(Author) wrote:There are two ways to receive mail from us which doesn't go to the spam folder:
1. If you click on the button "this is not spam"
or
2. If you send us an e-mail, and we reply to it.
I wrote email and got a response:
I'm sorry, currently all notifications to GMail have been suspended
because we are on their spam blacklist. We will resume notifications
to GMail once we have been removed from their list. Sorry for the
inconvenience.
Why you proposed to send email then? :)
Whole thread of discrepant info...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Valentino,
Why you proposed to send email then?
Christian did not propose to send an email, just stated that replies to emails are not filtered by Google.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2Hacker
Ah, you're right. OK, then. Seems we have to live with it.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

I really don't think this is the right solution.

1. you disregard users opinions - I will not switch to hotmail/yahoo or corporate email because you choose to "ban" gmail users.

2. the spam filters are adapting: people mark your messages as "not spam" once or twice and that will count.

3. there are a few (opensource related mailing lists) which send way more messages than your server and don't have any problems reaching my gmail inbox.

4. a mail server's job is to *deliver* messages and notify the sender when it failed to do so. It's *my* part to deal with gmail (the service I chose) if it's misbehaving. You care too much for my well-being than I'd like you to.

get on their spammer list when the number of mails per day reaches a certain limit
I'm genuinely interested in seeing this.

Note: part of what I said above and ways to correctly mitigate this situation at http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=81126
TC for Linux please!