[Beta21]Existing FSplugin installation not properly detected

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Yes, I have both TCx32 and TCx64 in same folder with same wincmd.ini with UseIniInProgramDir=7. But I don't think that it matters.

Hm-m, I think TC might ask user if it fails to overwrite an existing plugin file. This may answer why my working copy asks always - it is in write-protected folder.

No, this guess is wrong because TC doesn't ask for overwriting on my home Win7 with same write protection... TC asks only when plugin is loaded. Same two copies of VP are installed (release and debug ones).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Since this is a configuration problem of the plugin, I will not change it, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Christian, please read whole topic, it seems to be a TC problem.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

I did some more testing on my Win7 x32 home system. I've ruled out that the junction from d:\tc8 to the real tc folder in my dropbox is the culprit, by making a new physical copy to d:\tc80. It shows the same behaviour: existing plugin is not detected on second install. To make sure it is not a single plugin that shows the behaviour, I used several, like AceHelper, DiskInternals Reader (that one gave me a lot of errors on install, but that seems to be the plugin itself; will be reported to the plugin author) and TcPhonebook. When I use a clean ini which has only UseIniInProgramDir=7 in it, the problem is not reproducible. So it must be in my normal configuration. This configuration redirects all plugin sections to a separate %commander_path%\settings\plugins.ini. I'll experiment further by disabling this redirection but leaving the rest of the configuration intact.

Regards, EricB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the problem, I tried with both my normal settings and a fresh ini. Here is what I tried (TC8 beta 21):
1. Downloaded http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/virtualpanel.html
2. Started TC 32-bit with /i=c:\totalcmd\fresh.ini parameter
3. Double clicked on plugin zip file and installed it
4. Entered some other ZIP, then repeated step 3
-> I was asked to overwrite the plugin
5. Started TC 64-bit with /i=c:\totalcmd\fresh.ini parameter
6. Double clicked on plugin zip file and installed it
-> I was again asked to overwrite the plugin

Could you give me step by step instructions how to reproduce this problem, please?
EricB

Post by *EricB »

I did more testing as promised. Disabling redirect of plugins by re-integrating sections back in wincmd.ini did not solve the problem. Removing all plugins from wincmd.ini (some corrupt entry could be the problem) did also not solve the problem. Some more testing using this somewhat cleaner setup revealed that also Packer plugins show the same detection problem on second install. Existing Lister and Content plugins are normally detected on second install.

Using a fresh ini shows a normal overwrite dialog, so I guess the problem is somewhere in my specific configuration.

Edit: TC 7.57 has a very similar setup and does not show the issue. I even tried the 7.57 wincmd.ini on my 8.0 install, but even then the detection issue exists.

Christian, maybe I should send my (whole) configuration for inspection? I've done the exact steps you describe for 32 bit and have the problem every time using normal configuration but not with fresh ini (only UseIniInProgramDir = 7) in it.

Regards, EricB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, please send me your ini to beta at ghisler dot com. You may want to delete irrelevant sections like the directory hotlist and history.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2EricB
What is the value of pluginbasedir= in your wincmd.ini

some of the early TC8 betas added a "w" to the end of the path - maybe you still have that?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
EricB

Post by *EricB »

petermad wrote:2EricB
What is the value of pluginbasedir= in your wincmd.ini

some of the early TC8 betas added a "w" to the end of the path - maybe you still have that?
Hi Petermad,

pluginbasedir=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins so no extra closing 'w'.

I just sent my configuration to Christian, I'm curious to see if he can find something wrong.

Regards, EricB
Hakker

Post by *Hakker »

A lot of plugins seem to load badly in the x64 of B21. If you go through the plugin menu they all seem the work again all of a sudden.

an example I try to create a custom column.
I have jpg-comment, exif, dirsizecalc, mediainfo and filex installed.

when I go to the custom column without heading to the plugins/configure content plugins part I can only see the TC options. (plugins don't work even as info isn't shown)
After I have gone to plugins/configure content plugins part they all load and everything works again.

This makes me believe it's a TC issue instead of a plugin issue.
Done on a clean install of Win7 x64 TC 8.00b21 x64. dir c:\totalcmd\plugins (for the plugins). Installed all plugins with TC itself so TC did the installation of it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2EricB
Thanks for your files. For testing, I created a real directory (not hard link) d:\Tc8\Plugins\wfx\VirtualPanel\ and put the Virtual panel in there. I then tried to auto-install it again, and the location was detected just fine. Initially it didn't work because I didn't have the Plugins.ini file in %COMMANDER_PATH\Settings. So maybe that file isn't found in your case?

2Hakker
This happens because TC caches the presence of 64-bit plugins: If you just put the 64-bit files in the 32-bit plugin directories, TC doesn't know about them. You either need to delete the [*64] sections from wincmd.ini, or use the auto-install functions, or install them via Configuration - Options - Plugins.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

2Christian
I've tested with both real dir and hardlink version and in both cases the plugin.ini is present in %commander_path%\Settings. This is illustrated by the appearance of the 'installed file system plugins' panel after completing install, which shows all wfx plugins also present in the ini file. The only thing wrong is the overwrite dialog not appearing.

Regards, EricB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2EricB
OK, I think that I found the reason now: The environment variables. I have no problems with
Virtual Panel=D:\Tc8\Plugins\wfx\VirtualPanel\VirtualPanel.wfx
but the error occurs with
Virtual Panel=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wfx\VirtualPanel\VirtualPanel.wfx

See also my reply mail. Can you confirm that?
EricB

Post by *EricB »

2Christian
Thanks for looking into this matter so quickly and for mailing me. I can confirm that changing the path of any FS plugin in my plugins.ini to a hard path without environment variable will show the overwrite confirmation dialog when installing an already existing plugin. I've tested this with several of my plugins.

To test a bit more, I've also changed pluginbasedir in wincmd.ini to a hard path. When installing a non-existing FS plugin (rendering hard path in plugins.ini) and reinstalling it, also the overwrite dialog is immediately shown.

I hope this flaw is corrected soon, environment variables are indispensable for easy portable use. In my setup I can just copy TC folder to USB and it will run without any modification.

Regards, EricB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I will fix it in the next beta.