Total Commander & CNET Download.com Installer

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Total Commander & CNET Download.com Installer

Post by *DrShark »

After reading the topic on Directory Opus forum about bundling their software with CBS Interactive Download Manager (aka CNET Download.com Installer), checked Total Commander in CNET catalog, and it is there.

Not sure, but maybe the case needs some attention of Total Commander author and users, because it seems that currently there is no explanation if the mentioned TC distribution is officially authorized by TC author.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You may simply check the signature of downloaded distributive. Original distributives are signed with Ghisler Software GmbH signature, just like TOTALCMD.exe file.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

MVV wrote:You may simply check the signature of downloaded distributive.
Yes, but Christian Ghisler may give a permission for third party customized Total Commander distributions:
Total Commander Licence wrote:Please contact me if you want to distribute the program with a different installation program, changed files etc. Programs marked as "Beta" or "Release candidate" may not be distributed under any conditions.
<--edited per white.

CBS Interactive Download Manager makes a shortcut on desktop to itself without any user's permission and a chance to agree or disagree with CNET Download.com Terms of Use, and includes adware, so no wonder it is recognized as a bad software by some AV engines.

And, although CBS Interactive Download Manager technically doesn't include Total Commander distribution as part of distribution file, still downloads it from CNET servers. From regular user point of view, CNET's Manager still may be somehow confused with Christian Chisler's or Ghisler Software GmbH' software.
Last edited by white on 2022-12-31, 08:20 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed link
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

Pretty long discussion went also here:
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27720.0

And I agree with DrShark. It may be authorized by Ghisler but from my point of view: misleads users and may hurt TC brand.

You want to download some software and land up on their site. What do you do? Look for Download button and click it?

And compromise of what they give?
Standard, blue link 117x12 pixels in size - in comparison with big green scam button (220x50)?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, DrShark.

Thanks for warning us.

Like fenix_productions, I agree with you that the CNET procedure is at minimum doubtful. If you click on the [Download Now] button and expect to download the original Total Commander installation package you will receive an executable file name cnet2_tcmd757a_exe.exe (<= klick to view Virustotal scan results) instead.

This filename clearly aims at fooling people into believing it were the Total Commander installation package. But it is not. This executable file does not hold Total Commander at all. So what the heck do we need it for? Nothing.
The more so as these fools try to plant this download manager (and any unwanted payload it may hold) - without clearly explaining they are doing so (*) - on my Linux Mint 12 machine, too. <rotflmao>

Personally I will only download Total Commander from websites which are listed on Christian's download webpage and which offer the unmodified Total Commander installation package directly without trying to plant their own download manager (and any unwanted payload it may hold) on my machine first.

Cheers,
Karl
--
(*)
There are large areas of the [Download Now] button where you can hover and click with your mouse without getting the "CNET Installer Enabled" popup which will give you an extremely lame reason for making you install their adware downloader.
Last edited by karlchen on 2012-04-15, 11:50 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

karlchen wrote:The more so as these fools try to plant this download manager (and any unwanted payload it may hold) - without explaining they are doing so
They do explain it - the moment you hover your mouse over that download button you will see a popup with the explanation. However most people don't read it anyway.
Note: I'm not defending them, it's just they have these things legally covered.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, umbra.

Our posts crossed, so you had not chance of taking this into consideration:
karlchen wrote:There are large areas of the [Download Now] button where you can hover and click with your mouse without getting the "CNET Installer Enabled" popup which will give you an extremely lame reason for making you install their adware downloader.
And by the way. With no word the popup or the "Learn more" text will tell you clearly: "Hey, dumbo, you do not need this CNET downloader at all. We need it in order to deliver advertisements to you whenever you are online."
umbra wrote:I'm not defending them, it's just they have these things legally covered.
Yes, I am convinced that both parts of your sentence are absolutely correct. Nonetheless, they are not telling the truth about the true nature of their download software.

Therefore, folks, if you absolutely must use CNET to download software, never ever click the big green [Download Now! (CNET installer enabled)] button, but find the small "Direct download link" below it or next to it.

Cheers,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

BTW Many sites present similar behaviour BUT easier Producer info to see.
On download.com, such info is hidden out of the screen and if you click it:
http://download.cnet.com/windows/ghisler-software/3260-20_4-54367.html

This "info" page is almost clear! No valid author information = very fishy!
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

karlchen wrote:There are large areas of the [Download Now] button where you can hover and click with your mouse without getting the "CNET Installer Enabled" popup which will give you an extremely lame reason for making you install their adware downloader.
The things are little more complicated: there are [at least] two CNET green buttons exist:
1. [Download Now! (CNET Installer Enabled)], points to Download Manager.
2. [Download Now! (CNET Secure download)], with direct link.
The second button seems to exist on pages with software (example), which author/copyright holder reached an agreement with CNET staff (see Directory Opus topic, mentioned in first post).
So imagine a case when user first download some software using (2.) button, what that user will expect on next page with another software and (1.) button?

Edit:
And on that page there is no direct link to TC distribution at all, only a Download Manager green button link without "About CNET Installer" popup mentioned above.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

DrShark wrote:Yes, but somtimes Christian Ghisler gives permission for third party customized Total Commander distributions. An example, AFAIK, is a polish Total Commander PowerPack (which distribution is not digitally signed at all).
Christian Ghisler has stated that this distribution is not authorized.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

white wrote:
DrShark wrote:Yes, but somtimes Christian Ghisler gives permission for third party customized Total Commander distributions. An example, AFAIK, is a polish Total Commander PowerPack (which distribution is not digitally signed at all).
Christian Ghisler has stated that this distribution is not authorized.
Thanks for clarification! I fixed my post. However, there should be some reason why both PowerPack and Ultima Prime are mentioned on ghisler.com Total Commander FAQ...
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

DrShark wrote:However, there should be some reason why both PowerPack and Ultima Prime are mentioned on ghisler.com Total Commander FAQ...
Probably because of the frequently asked questions ;-)

By the way, in the past permission was granted to the makers of Total Commander Ultima Prime.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

white wrote:Probably because of the frequently asked questions ;-)
Total Commander FAQ wrote:They are [PowerPack and Ultima Prime] mainly suited for non-advanced users
Total Commander Licence wrote:Please contact me if you want to distribute the program with a different installation program, changed files etc.
white wrote:Christian Ghisler has stated that this distribution [PowerPack] is not authorized.
Well, am I only one here think that Total Commander author via official website recommends illegal software for non-advanced users? :)
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

@b]DrShark[/b]
There are many different "packs" in the wild - many of them unauthorized. But as far as I remember TCUP* and PowerPack were authorized by author in the past. Furthermore: both of these packages has nice TC information at their main index pages.

2white
white wrote:Christian Ghisler has stated that this distribution is not authorized.
Could you share a link with such statement?

*) I was a part of TC UP team few years ago and I can say that we were in contact with all authors of the applications contained in this project. When there was a licensing doubt - we had always tried to contact with proper people… or removed apps if there was no reply.

white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

fenix_productions wrote:2white
white wrote:Christian Ghisler has stated that this distribution is not authorized.
Could you share a link with such statement?
I could, but only moderators on this board would be able to read it.