[8.0ß25 x64] Nag screen text is bold, and parts cut off

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sztihamer

[8.0ß25 x64] Nag screen text is bold, and parts cut off

Post by *sztihamer »

For some reason all the text on the nag screen and registered popup is bold. This problem can be found only in the 64bit version. For some reason the text is not aligned properly and some words are missing from the sentences, like demo, delete and this.

Here are some screenshots to demonstrate the problem.
64bit http://i.imgur.com/DL8Z5.png
32bit http://i.imgur.com/GIdhY.png

It's a minor cosmetic issue, and I think it needs to be fixed.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Confirmed.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed the font has been changed to work also on high DPI screens. It's possible that some text which wasn't bold before is now bold.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Indeed the font has been changed to work also on high DPI screens. It's possible that some text which wasn't bold before is now bold.
Ok, but look carefully at the 64bit screenshot. Some words are not visible! It's not big of a deal if the font can't be just like in the 32bit version, because of the High DPI fix. The problem is that the text can be misread. Probably it's the same thing if Total Commander is set to another language. The whole text does not fit and some words are not visible.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2sztihamer
This is a longstanding issue. TC can't properly handle big fonts (or bold, since they make text bigger too) - when you use them, they may overlap or be hidden behind other UI elements. If I understand it correctly, it's caused by used UI libraries.
However I believe that in this case the bold font is just a mistake and it will be changed back.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Damn. :evil: I will never see this blooming nagscreen, just because I use a registered version. :wink:

Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

I'm a registered user too! This was just a test installation that I used. Just extracted the setup file to a directory and extracted the INSTALL.CAB to a directory and there you go. A test version without the need to run trough the setup process.
By the way if you look carefully you will see that the registered popup does the same thing. Just pay attention and you will see that text is bold. If disappears too fast, just try to catch it by clicking and holding the left mouse button on the title bar of that window. It will stay until you let go the button. It can be quite challenging if you have a faster machine.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

offtopic:
Karlchen, sztihamer is right. It's the fastest and easiest way to test TC - just enter the installer and its INSTALL.CAB, extract its content, add a wincmd.ini and you have a clean isolated TC for testing (matter of a few seconds). BTW, this is not the first bug the nagscreen helped to discover. Plus, it's the first thing new users see and if that's buggy, what will they think about the rest of the software?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, umbra & sztihamer.

Thanks a lot for trying to enlighten the darkness of my ignorance. :idea: Yet, this message was not really meant to be taken seriously. It was ironic. :oops:

Seriously:
By renaming wincmd.key and relaunching T.C. 8.0ß25 64-bit the reported font problem in the nagscreen can be reproduce here as well.

About the normal (registered) splashscreen:
Damn. :evil:
In order to reproduce some bug which only happened provided the splashscreen had been turnt off (StartupScreen=0), the normal Splashscreen had been turnt off some betas ago on the only 64-bit machine which is always available to me. And the setting has never been reverted to StartupScreen=1 ever after.
This explains why T.C. 8.0ß 64-bit never exhibited any font problems affecting the normal splashscreen here. :oops:

Finally:
Of course, I agree that the bold font problem affecting the unregistered nagscreen and the registered splashscreen should be fixed.

Cheers,
Karl
--
corrected: it should not read T.C. 8.0ß24, but T.C. 8.0ß25
Last edited by karlchen on 2012-04-14, 12:49 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

It's ok karlchen, I use a heavily customized .ini file too, and that was the reason why I used a clean extracted copy. Good to see that you can reproduce the problem just like us. I'm sure it will be fixed soon. As umbra said every new unregistered Total Commander user will see this tiny glitch, and that could make people mad and decide that they will not purchase this amazing piece of software. For registered users it's not big of a deal, because the startup screen disappears quickly, and sometimes you can't even blink. The advantage of registered users is that they can turn it off if annoys someone. Thanks for the replies!
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, sztihamer.

Whereas it is trivial to reproduce the (bold) font issue affecting the unregistered nagscreen of T.C. 8.0.ß25 64-bit (32-bit unaffected), I simply fail to see any difference between the registered startup screen (startupscreen=1) displayed by T.C. 8.0ß25 64-bit and 32-bit. Here, they both use bold font. Yet, no problem fitting the strings into the available startup screen window here.

Total Commander 8.0ß25 64-bit / 32-bit on
Server 2008 R2, classic theme

As this is a server machine, Windows uses the default DPI setting. T.C. uses
+ file list: Segoe UI, 9, b
+ main window: Segoe UI, 8, b
+ dialog box: Tahoma, 8

These font settings together with the default DPI value may simply be inappropriate to get a distorted registered startup screen.

Have launched T.C. 8.0ß25 64-bit / 32-bit a dozen times each and captured the registered startup screens and pasted them into paintbrush, to no avail here, simply cannot tell them apart.

Cheers,
Karl
The Prophet's Song
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

Pay attention to the name of the licensed user karlchen, and you will see that it's bold.

Here are some screenshots to demonstrate it with my own license. I have edited a little bit my license, so my address and some part of my license number is smudged a little bit. Just for anonymity.

32bit: http://i.imgur.com/CyQwu.png
64bit: http://i.imgur.com/xgnSe.png

I know it's not big of a deal, it's just some more information about the bug, just for the purpose of fixing the issue. There should be some link between the nag screen and the registered screen, and that's why I pointed out.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, sztihamer.

Confirmed.
In the startup screen displayed by T.C. 8.0ß25 64-bit our company name is a bit larger and fatter than in the the startup screen displayed by T.C. 8.0ß25 32-bit.

Karl
The Prophet's Song
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

I can confirm that this bug has been fixed in Total Commander 8.0RC1. Works just like used to work in other previous versions!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com