Clickable/Usable folders in directory menu

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cx05

Clickable/Usable folders in directory menu

Post by *cx05 »

Hi,

I do like the directory hotlist and how easy it is to bring it up and to add items to it.
However, one thing I miss from classic shell/open shell's menus is the ability to make the submenu items clickable.
  • Tldr: My suggestion is to make submenu entries in the directory hotlist similar to the ordinary leaf items: If no action/cd target is defined, they behave exactly as they do now and just bring up the submenu when clicked. But when a cd command is (manually) entered for them, they navigate to that location when clicked. The submenu can be brought up by pointing the mouse over the submenu.
    For keyboard navigation, the "Right Arrow" key would open the submenu and the "Return" key would execute the navigation action of the submenu entry. If no action is defined, return might or might not open the menu, whatever fits better to the behavior of other menus.
The reason for this suggestion is that I often end up with hierarchies like this:
  • Documents (cd D:\Documents, suggestion, currently not possible)
    • E-Mail (cd D:\Documents\Correspondence\E-Mail)
    • Letters (cd D:\Documents\Correspondence\Letters)
    • Travel (cd D:\Documents\Travel)
    • Datasheets (cd D:\Documents\Technical\Datasheets)
    • Drawings (cd D:\Documents\Technical\Drawings)
where the subitems are deeper in e.g. the "Documents" folder.
However, the Documents folder might also have other subdirectories, that I do not use as often, and therefore would not like to add to the directory hotlist menu, so on disk it might look look like this:

Code: Select all

D:\
    Documents
        Accounting
        Correspondence
            Letters
        Technical
            Datasheets
            Documentation
            Drawings                
        Travel
So let's say I want to go to the Accounting folder. It would make sense to go to Documents, but since the submenus in the directory hotlist cannot have actions defined, I have to duplicate Documents like so:
  • Documents (cd D:\Documents, navigates)
  • Documents (submenu, no action)
    • E-Mail (cd D:\Documents\Correspondence\E-Mail)
    • Letters (cd D:\Documents\Correspondence\Letters)
    • Travel (cd D:\Documents\Travel)
    • Datasheets (cd D:\Documents\Technical\Datasheets)
    • Drawings (cd D:\Documents\Technical\Drawings)
This clutters the list a lot, adds no additional information and is inefficient and confusing compared to the first tree.

Edit: I found out that the ini file already allows this and that the action is even (grayed out and unchangeable) shown in the GUI. Seems that all that is missing is to make this modifiable and execute the action (if any) on click/return.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clickable/Usable folders in directory menu

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The directory menu uses a standard Windows menu. It does not support submenus which are also clickable items at the same time.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
cx05

Re: Clickable/Usable folders in directory menu

Post by *cx05 »

That's unfortunate. Thanks for clarifying.