Hide file extension-How to see only file names

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

babak

Hide file extension-How to see only file names

Post by *babak »

Hi there,
I wonder how to have only the file names without any other info. I wana have a clean and simple view in the panel. Well, ctrl+F1 brings the brief view but the file extensions are still visible. I tried the custom column mode, but the file extension could not be deleted, when creating one.
So, so any help How to get rid of it?
Thanks in advance.
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

In brief view, the column width is found basing on the length of longest filename. By sending the LB_SETCOLUMNWIDTH message to the listbox you can set ANY width, even 1 pixel (at least, it is so declared). I managed to do so (more than 1 pixel though ;)). So, some small script can find the longest filename and then send this message with the corresponding parameter.
Or, if the said is not suitable, just use Explorer with all hidden extensions.
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2babak

1. Open your Wincmd.ini
2. Add Tabstops=8000,8000,8000,8000,8000,8000 under your screen resolution section e.g [1024x768 (8x16)]
3. Add Aligned extension=1 under [Configuration] section
4. Restart TC

Fore easily editing TC configuration files you can use Configuration Editor
babak

Post by *babak »

Thank you Vochomurka & ts4242,
@ts4242:
I did what you said and it works. But then it works for Ctrl+F2 view (of course by increasing the length of the name tab). I need my Ctrl+F2 view as it is, showing all the tabs. This would be nice to have only the file names (without their extension) in Ctrl+F1 view (brief view). The name tab could not be resized in Ctrl+F1 (at least with the mouse). Is there a way to change it in Wincmd.ini or implement your suggestion for Ctrl+F1 view?
Thank you.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

There is no option in TC to hide file extension
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

ts4242 wrote:There is no option in TC to hide file extension
And this is consistent, because the extensions are part of the filenames. Hiding them is a foolish habit introduced by Microsoft Explorer.
Yet, even Explorer offers to hide filename extension solely for those extensions which have been associated to a programme.
So hiding filename extensions has nothing to do with a clean display.
If you do not like the extenstions to be displayed in a separate column then activate the option to display them right behind the filename part.
Configuration => Display => Tabstops => Show file extensions (*) directly after filename.

Karl
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Many viruses were planted, because people clicked on "music.mp3.exe" without the extension.
babak

Post by *babak »

Well, I see the point for not avoiding the extensions. Thank you guys for your help and quick replies.