Scrolling selection: Hard/impossible to slowly scroll down

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rekrul

Scrolling selection: Hard/impossible to slowly scroll down

Post by *Rekrul »

This problem has existed for a long time now.

When using the full view and selecting files with the right mouse button, there are two speeds for scrolling up the list, moderate and fast. When scrolling the list down, there's only one speed; fast. No matter how carefully you move the mouse toward the bottom of the window, it almost never scrolls slowly. As a result, you end up selecting 100+ files when you only meant to select a few.

It's so unreliable that it not worth trying to use. So you end up having to scroll the list, select a bunch of files, scroll the list, select a bunch more, etc. Or scroll to the bottom of the files and select them upward, since the up speed always seems to work.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

It works for me. When scrolling down, the "slow speed" activates when I hover mouse over Status bar (contains numbers of files) or Command line. The "fast speed" activates, when I move mouse over Function key bar.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

umbra wrote:It works for me. When scrolling down, the "slow speed" activates when I hover mouse over Status bar (contains numbers of files) or Command line. The "fast speed" activates, when I move mouse over Function key bar.
I've been doing a little experimenting and I've discovered something interesting.

Slow and fast speeds do work as you describe, BUT, there's a catch; The area right above the status bar, maybe 10 pixels at the bottom of the list pane, registers as a 'fast' zone. So when you're moving the pointer down to activate slow scrolling, it hits this area and instantly activates fast scrolling. If you quickly move the pointer down to the status bar, you can mostly control it, but that's counter-intuitive. You would normally think that to get slow scrolling, you'd slowly move the pointer down. Unfortunately, when you do that, you pass through the small 'fast' zone and the list goes through dozens of files before you can stop it.

Here's a picture to help illustrate what's going on;

Image: http://i49.tinypic.com/8yyslv.png

Like I said, this only happens when scrolling down, there's no problem with scrolling up.

I've seen this happen on various versions of TC, on different systems with different versions of Windows, while using plain 3 button mice with no special drivers. It doesn't seem to be affected by window size or anything else that I can see.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

In the 'top fast zone' on the picture only horizontal movements cause fast scroll for me, if I move mouse directly down, TC scrolls items very slowly (~ 1 item per pixel).

Also, if I were you, I'd use mouse wheel for slow scrolling. Most mices now has the wheel and it is very convenient here. You just hold right button and rotate your wheel down resulting a constant scroll speed (3 items per scroll tick). :)
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

MVV wrote:In the 'top fast zone' on the picture only horizontal movements cause fast scroll for me, if I move mouse directly down, TC scrolls items very slowly (~ 1 item per pixel).
It's very unpredictable. Right now it's working like it should. Of course, if I expect it to work properly and try to use it, it will scroll fast. It's not reliable enough to use.
MVV wrote:Also, if I were you, I'd use mouse wheel for slow scrolling. Most mices now has the wheel and it is very convenient here. You just hold right button and rotate your wheel down resulting a constant scroll speed (3 items per scroll tick). :)
That's not nearly as convenient to do when you're selecting files.

I just don't understand why slowly scrolling up while holding down the right mouse button works 100% of the time, but slowly scrolling down only works properly about 1% of the time.