Possible bug: Error Cannot open file/folder!

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

chlawson

Possible bug: Error Cannot open file/folder!

Post by *chlawson »

Mr. Ghisler, thank you so much for this great TotalCmd app -- it is truly wonderful and it works for me 99.9% of the time. However, I believe I have found a small bug or inconsistency...

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, with an exfat formatted 64GB SD card. I have used TotalCmd for android extensively on this device with no issues. However, I recently created a directory at /storage/extSdCard/mp3. In it, I placed 3,798 mp3 files totaling 12.5GB (all in that same directory, with no directory structure underneath it). While other file managers will read this directory and I can manipulate files within it, when I try to access it with TotalCmd for Android, it first churns for 2 seconds or so saying "getting directory from: /storage/extSdCard/mp3" and then fails with the message "Error" "Cannot open file/folder!"

It seems to have something to do with the quantity of files in that folder, since when I have fewer files, it will work OK. Have you seen this behavior before?

Thanks for your help!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC is probably running out of memory. Do you really need that many files in a single directory? It's very inefficient.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dnowakow

Cannot open file/folder!

Post by *dnowakow »

My Android device (Samsung S5) is not rooted. When I try to open File system root/data, I get "Error Cannot open file/folder! data". I can open other directories, such as /etc. The device has 1.7G left on internal memory, and about 3.7G on the SD card. What am I missing? - Don
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Cannot open file/folder!

Post by *Horst.Epp »

dnowakow wrote:My Android device (Samsung S5) is not rooted. When I try to open File system root/data, I get "Error Cannot open file/folder! data". I can open other directories, such as /etc. The device has 1.7G left on internal memory, and about 3.7G on the SD card. What am I missing? - Don
You can't open this dir on a non rooted device.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64