Attr column not sortable?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thany

Attr column not sortable?

Post by *Thany »

I know it doesn't make all the sense in the world to sort by attribute, but still, in a directory that has files with lots of differing attributes, I do find myself wanting to sort by attributes sometimes... It seems not possible to do so - clicking on the Attr column depresses it (so it is clickable) but does nothing functionally, it seems.

Is there a specific reason why the Attr column doesn't sort? And can it be enabled?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You can create custom column set with field that shows attributes, and it will be sortable.
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Understood.

But what about the default Attr column? It seems arbitrary that it's not sortable.
Total Commander 11 on Windows 10
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is no logical sort order for the attributes column.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Internally (in the win32 API at least) file attributes are a 32-bit integer, iirc. You could sort on that. Wouldn't that work? Otherwise you could alphabetically sort on the way attributes are displayed. Also take a look at how Windows explorer sorts by attributes, and does so alphabetically.

I know it's not perfect, but it seems strange to me when a column is clickable and it doesn't sort. That's the only thing clicking a column normally does. So it looks like a bug when it doesn't work. It's a UX-thing - I care about stuff like that ;)

Also keep in mind that it doesn't neccesarily need to be perfectly logical, as long as it's consistent.
Total Commander 11 on Windows 10