+TC 8.5 Beta 4: Incomplete RAR files won't open

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Csimbi

+TC 8.5 Beta 4: Incomplete RAR files won't open

Post by *Csimbi »

I was able to open incomplete RAR files (or complete files with at least one volume missing) and get a listing with earlier versions of TC.
Today, I simply get and error from TC and I have to start WinRAR and open the RAR file manually to see the list and attempt extracting the files that can still be salvaged.
Any chance to improve this?

Thank you!
Best regards: Csimbi
TW

Post by *TW »

for me, rar seems to be completely broken now.

when i open an archive, tc doesn't display any content.

no matter if it's a rar 2.9 or a new rar 5.0 file.

/edit: weird, i found out, this is only the case if the archive is in a folder like

xxxxxxxx.partxxxxx

where xxx can be anything. if i do rename "part" to something else, it works as expected.
licenced and happy TC user since 1994 (#11xx)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Confirmed with this path name, thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Csimbi

Post by *Csimbi »

Actually, I don't get a file listing in these files, either (no error, just empty list):
backup-today.001
backup-today.002
backup-today.003
etc. all complete and no errors in them.

WinRAR reports "Version to extract: 2.9"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Files which look like parts of a multi-volume archive are intentionally ignored. You need to give them extension .rar to open them. This is intentional and will not be changed.
Csimbi

Post by *Csimbi »

All needs to be done is to determine the archive type when the file is opened first (which you do anyway, otherwise you would not be able to do anything with the file in the first place), and then volumes are straightforward. Or, at least, I'd like to think so.

But, I'm not sure why you'd want to limit this. After all, it was working perfectly in the previous version. I understand Microsoft is devolving software, but just because they do, you need not to follow.
You can't expect people to rename files just because TC does not want to open them. To me, this is a show-stopper and won't be upgrading anymore if it does not get fixed.

I'd appreciate if you'd reconsider this.
Thank you!
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Csimbi wrote:All needs to be done is to determine the archive type when the file is opened first (which you do anyway, otherwise you would not be able to do anything with the file in the first place), and then volumes are straightforward. Or, at least, I'd like to think so.

But, I'm not sure why you'd want to limit this. After all, it was working perfectly in the previous version. I understand Microsoft is devolving software, but just because they do, you need not to follow.
You can't expect people to rename files just because TC does not want to open them. To me, this is a show-stopper and won't be upgrading anymore if it does not get fixed.

I'd appreciate if you'd reconsider this.
Thank you!
No, it was not working perfectly in the previous version.

For multi-volume archives with numeric extensions, TC 8.01 was only showing those files which had the file indexes within the volume part you opened. The feature was 'somewhat' working at best. :)
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Files which look like parts of a multi-volume archive are intentionally ignored. You need to give them extension .rar to open them. This is intentional and will not be changed.
But then, please, don't show an empty list but really ignore those files.
Showing an empty list really doesn't make sense, i guess...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The new version now shows the contents of ALL parts when you open the first. It has to show nothing for the other parts because otherwise when you select all parts and try to extract them, TC would extract everything again and again for each part.
Csimbi

Post by *Csimbi »

elgonzo wrote:No, it was not working perfectly in the previous version.

For multi-volume archives with numeric extensions, TC 8.01 was only showing those files which had the file indexes within the volume part you opened. The feature was 'somewhat' working at best. :)
That's actually perfect for me, as there's no need to scan through all the volumes for file names; I'd see the contents on the file I actually opened.
This is would be my choice for a preferred solution.
elgonzo wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:Files which look like parts of a multi-volume archive are intentionally ignored. You need to give them extension .rar to open them. This is intentional and will not be changed.
But then, please, don't show an empty list but really ignore those files.
Showing an empty list really doesn't make sense, i guess...
If you can't handle them, don't open them. That makes sense - at least I would know what's going on and maybe I can assign WinRAR or maybe a plugin to the file extensions from .001 to .999.
ghisler(Author) wrote:The new version now shows the contents of ALL parts when you open the first. It has to show nothing for the other parts because otherwise when you select all parts and try to extract them, TC would extract everything again and again for each part.
Hmmm. I installed beta 5, but I am not seeing any improvement. Which one of the three issues above is supposed to be fixed?
- missing/incomplete RAR error messages?
- .part001 type volumes?
- .001 type volumes?

Edit: saw the changelog, it seems to be only the second one (i.e. part001 type volumes). May I ask what is the plan for the other two problems? I mean, the thread was moved to the resolved bugs forum; does it mean that the other two problems will be ignored?

Thank you!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, what other problems do you mean? It's by design that TC doesn't show anything in higher volumes.
Csimbi

Post by *Csimbi »

I mean these two:

1. TC does not even open the RAR (or, the 'current volume' in case of volumes):
I was able to open incomplete RAR files (or complete files with at least one volume missing) and get a listing with earlier versions of TC.
Today, I simply get and error from TC and I have to start WinRAR and open the RAR file manually to see the list and attempt extracting the files that can still be salvaged.
Any chance to improve this?
2. I am not seeing anything in the 'current volume' in this case:
Actually, I don't get a file listing in any of these files, either (no error, just empty list):
backup-today.001
backup-today.002
backup-today.003
etc.
All files are complete and no errors in them.

WinRAR reports "Version to extract: 2.9"
Thank you!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is a limitation of the unrar dll: It can only show the contents of volumes starting with the first. So TC will show the contents of all volumes until the first gap.

In older versions, I read the contents of the RAR parts myself in my own code. Unfortunately the new RAR5 format is very complex, so I can no longer do that and use unrar.dll instead.
Csimbi

Post by *Csimbi »

It seems to me that you do understand that I open the first volume in both cases, and I either:
- get an error
- get an empty list.
Neither of which should happen according to what you said:
ghisler(Author) wrote:So TC will show the contents of all volumes until the first gap.
Maybe I am using the wrong words?

As for the second part:
ghisler(Author) wrote:In older versions, I read the contents of the RAR parts myself in my own code. Unfortunately the new RAR5 format is very complex, so I can no longer do that and use unrar.dll instead.
These are both old RARs; I posted several times on purpose "WinRAR reports "Version to extract: 2.9".
I am not sure how can you miss this all the time and give a dodgy reply.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Csimbi
Sorry, cannot reproduce. I just renamed one part of a multi-volume archive. TC then asks for the missing part when I open the first. I click on "Cancel". Then TC shows the files found until then.

Please make sure to use the latest beta 5 for this.