?[TC 8.50x32] Local directory reading is too slow!

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

artt

?[TC 8.50x32] Local directory reading is too slow!

Post by *artt »

I just install new TC8.50 x32 and it is using the same settings and the same plugins (portable mode) as my old version TC8.01 x32.
The performance when reading the contents of any folder in any of my 3 Hard Disks is very bad. I can see the files of the folder one by one to appear as reading and creating the list like in slow motion movie!
When i run the old version (TC8.01 x32) performance is excellent as before!
Thanks

CPU: Intel dual core 3.0Gh
RAM: 2Gb/1333Gh
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

No such problems here.
Even largest dirs are displayed in seconds.
May be you have some strange shell extension or you anti-vrus blocks reading.
artt

Post by *artt »

For testing,
i disable ALL plugins (remove their entries in wincmd.ini) and i also disable firewall (Privatefirewall 7.0).
I have no antivirus installed or any other real-time protection application running.
THE PROBLEM REMAINS UNCHANGED!

@Horst.Epp
Thanks for reply, what do you mean about "some strange shell extension"?

Thanks
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

No problem with browsing over 3000 files on local HDD and on network one
on both 32/64 versions TC 8.5. Win 7 x86/x64
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

artt wrote:For testing,
i disable ALL plugins (remove their entries in wincmd.ini) and i also disable firewall (Privatefirewall 7.0).
I have no antivirus installed or any other real-time protection application running.
THE PROBLEM REMAINS UNCHANGED!

@Horst.Epp
Thanks for reply, what do you mean about "some strange shell extension"?

Thanks
For example extensions which display Overlay icons on certain files.
Version control systems are in this category but there may be others.
Use the tool shellexview and disable all non Microsoft shell extensions.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2artt
Try disabling icons completely in Configuration - Options - Icons. Does it help? If yes, we need to find out which file type is causing you troubles. It may be associated with a program on a network drive, or a very big EXE file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
artt

Post by *artt »

According to Horst.Epp instructions i disable all non Microsoft shell extensions and restart explorer using shellexview tool and then run TC.
No significant change - the performance remains poor.

According to ghisler instructions i disable icons completely in Configuration - Options - Icons.
The performance now is excellent.

I then tried all the available combinations changing the options in Configuration - Options - Icons.
Old Configuration:
* All associated + EXE/LNK (slow) - selected
* EXE/LNK not on floppy - unchecked
* EXE/LNK not on net - unchecked
* Show icons for special folders: Normal file system - checked
* Show icons for special folders: Virtual folders (e.g. Network) - checked
* Show overlay icons, e.g. for links - checked
Results
- With option "No icons" selected - performance is excellent
- With options as in "Old Configuration" above but with option "Show overlay icons, e.g. for links" unchecked - performance is very good
- With any other combination but with option "Show overlay icons, e.g. for links" unchecked - performance is very good

So when option "Show overlay icons, e.g. for links" is checked the performance in bad/poor.

After that i clean my pc using ccleaner and restart it. The results were the same as above.

I also compare the performance of TC8.50 and TC8.01:
- TC8.01 with option "Show overlay icons, e.g. for links" enabled - performance is excellent (quite as excellent as in TC8.50 with selection "No icons").
- TC8.50 with option "Show overlay icons, e.g. for links" disabled - performance is very good.

Are there any settings in TC8.50 to get the same performance as with TC8.01?

Thank you all
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have just made a code comparison between 8.01 and 8.50, but I cannot find anything which would make icon overlay extraction slower. Furthermore, they are loaded in a background thread, and shouldn't have any influence on foreground thread performance.

Maybe it's caused by an overlay extension? Try to disable all non-Microsoft icon overlay extensions with ShellExView. Make sure to use the right version (32-bit for 32-bit TC, 64-bit for 64-bit TC).

They may be listed as type "System", e.g. the Tortoise SVN handler. In the properties, it's shown as "TortoiseSVN overlay handler shim".
artt

Post by *artt »

My new tests are very interesting:

TC8.50 folder copied to flash drive (i always run TC in portable mode even when from HD) and tested on next systems:
(Option "Show overlay icons, e.g. for links" - checked)
* Windows XP PRO SP3
* Windows XP PRO SP3 (other system than previous one)
* LSoft ActiveBootDisk 8.0.0 CD (Windows 7 SP1)
* Win7RescuePE CD (Windows 7)
* Windows 7 PRO
On all those systems TC is running very fast without any significant delay and browsing performance is EXCELLENT !!!

Back to my Desktop PC (where TC8.50 is running with poor browsing performance):
Using shellexview i disable ALL (yes completely ALL) shell extensions. I was afraid to restart PC so i only restart explorer and then run TC.
THE PROBLEM REMAINS UNCHANGED - the same poor browsing performance.

Any idea before i format the disk and re-install windows?
(please remember that on this system TC8.01 is still running with excellent performance as i mention in an earlier post).

Thanks
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please do not reinstall Windows! This would take away the possibility to find the reason of this problem!

Are you sure you disabled the right shell extensions? It really seems to be a problem with overlay icons, and all overlay icons are loaded via shell extensions...
artt

Post by *artt »

@ghisler
I disable ALL shell extensions shown in shellexview. I mean ALL Microsoft, AND ALL other:
- Bluewire General Property Sheet - C:\Windows\system32\BWContextHandler.dll
- Microsoft XPS Rich Preview Handler - C:\Windows\System32\xpsrchvw.exe -IPreview
- DesktopContext Class - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvui.dll
- NVIDIA CPL Context Menu Extension - C:\Windows\system32\nvshext.dll
Then i restart explorer and run TC without restarting OS (i was afraid to restart with all MS shell extensions disabled).

Here waiting for further instructions.
artt

Post by *artt »

I found the reason of this problem

After many many tests i reached to the "solution". My final step was to run tool "Autoruns" by Sysinternals and found a service entry:
ksupmgr * File-/Update Service * (Verified) Salfeld Computer GmbH * c:\windows\system32\ksupmgr.exe * 25/8/2010 9:56
which obviously had left behind when i had uninstalled application "Child Control" (parental control program) 5-6 months ago.
After i delete the above entry using "Autoruns" and restart pc, TC8.50 browsing performance was EXCELLENT!

Of curse i reproduce the problem, this time installing latest program's version 14.605.
I was trying about 40mins to exclude TC from it's influence but without success.
If this service is running TC8.50 suffer from poor browsing performance and if i disable it and restart pc (even without uninstall "Child Control") TC8.50 is running very fast.

I found the reason of this problem, However there is a query why TC8.01 is not suffering by this service.

Best regards to all
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2artt
However there is a query why TC8.01 is not suffering by this service.
Indeed - maybe you shold post a link to this Child Control program so that Ghisler can try and find out why it affects TC 8.50 but not TC 8.01
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
artt

Post by *artt »

petermad wrote:maybe you shold post a link to this Child Control program
http://salfeld.com/software/parentalcontrol/overview.html

Thanks petermad
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

artt wrote:However there is a query why TC8.01 is not suffering by this service.
Indeed - maybe you should send a message to the authors of this Child Control program so they can try and find out why it affects TC 8.50 but not TC 8.01. :wink: