Show custom fields for all matched templates in tooltips

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Show custom fields for all matched templates in tooltips

Post by *MVV »

E.g. I want to show version info for all EXEs, width and height for all JPGs, some fields for ALL FILES (comment, number of hard copies etc). Please allow combining custom fields from all matched templates, i.e. in case of JPG TC should show fields for JPG, ALL FILES and other templates that match, please do not stop after first match.

Maybe it was requested (there are some posts but I haven't found special topics though)...
sky66

Post by *sky66 »

TC have similar function in Configuration => Thumbnails => Fields by type.

But just for "Thumbnails view" mode only.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

sky66,
Yes, TC may show WDX fields for different file types in some places (one of them is tooltip, another one you've mentioned).

But if you have a file that matches two or more templates (e.g. you have a JPG photo and two templates: one for all images *.JPG *.BMP *.PNG *.GIF to show width and height and other one for just *.JPG to show some tags), TC will only show fields for the first (from the top of list) matched template (i.e. in our example only width and heigt or only tags depending on template order in list) and won't show fields for another templates that match this file.

So you need to manually add some field into all templates where you need it instead of just defining a single template that matches all files having that field.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It would be nice to see this realized. It only requires to not break the loop while scanning user-defined field templates. It may be optional, also it may be done using some special tag for templates that should be combined with other ones, e.g. merge or =tc.merge:

Code: Select all

[merge][=ntlinks.Obj_Type]: [=ntlinks.RP_Target]\nReal path: [=ntlinks.Obj_RealPath]\n
Existing TC versions will simply ignore such tag.
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

Do you know about the Super_wds plugin? The project is frozen, but the plugin still works. It seems to be the very thing you are looking for
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Yes, I know about it, it is very old, and I don't use it.
Merging implies displaying multiple strings with different values that correspond to multiple templates (e.g. lines with generic file fields and lines with image information in case of image file). WDX plugin can only return one line (TC doesn't allow plugin to return line breaks).
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I really like the idea. Instead of changing the definition string I would add a simple checkbox to the filetype definition whether or not the the file type hierarchy is ignored and the filetype is forced to be checked:
[img]http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150304/2kkjcvug.png[/img]

(a better text idea is welcome)

So the simple algorithm is to check for first matching type (current behavior). Then check all filetypes where the new option is set and append the results. TC automatically inserts a linebreak between two matching filetypes.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

That's even better, no template changes, but simply a new option for hint template.
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Also needed this for some of my workflows!
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..