Split panes vertically (4 panes) Quadro-View /Quad-View

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

planningall

Support Quadro-View

Post by *planningall »

<"Support Quadro-View" - thread merged here by mod>

I hope TC can be support Quadro-View technique

1:Tab is Clockwise,shift+TAB is Anti-clockwise change windows
2:when i seletc some files :focus is in topleft window,ctrl+→:copy thoes files to topright window;ctrl+↓:copy thoes files to bottomleft window;ctrl+↓+→ or ctrl+↑:copy thoes files to bottomright window
3:when i select some files :focus is in topright window , ctrl+← :copy thoes files to toplift window;ctrl+↓:copy thoes files to bottomright window;ctrl+↓+← or ctrl+↑:copy thoes files to bottomleft window.
when focus is in bottomleft window,bottomright window............

4:alt+.......is move files
5:supprt ctrl+q quick view selected file in another window (use one or two windows space)
francescoschino

New possible new feature, 3 windows opened instead ot 2

Post by *francescoschino »

<"New possible new feature, 3 windows opened instead ot 2" - thread merged here by mod>

Good morning to all of You.
My request is : will be possible to have in next release the possibility to have 3 areas instead of 2 ?, I mean, should be an user option to open Total Commander with 2 windows as now or more, for example 3 windows, this is due that we have many partitions on which we work.
Thanks for your repky
Francesco Schino
hlloyge

Post by *hlloyge »

Well, I don't really need 4 panes, 2 are enough, but that's just me. I think the default copy should be from right to left, or left to right, in a single row, so if windows 1 and 2 are in same row, copy would go from 1 to 2 or vice versa, BUT NOT TO 3 or 4. But, by longpressing F5 for two seconds (for example), there would be popup where you could select destinations.
Also, there would be optional checkmarks on tabs to select as default destination (red light), so when copying with singlepress F5 files would automatically go to target. This could be implemented right now on tabs - rightclick on their names could bring up option of 'set as destination' and it would work until TC is turned off. All destination folders should be in left or right, not both, so there is one pane for source, and other for multiple destination.
francescoschino

Hello friends, I do not understand why the people that do not use more then 2 panes force others to used only 2 panes.
My case is simple, I am a webmaster and I manage files in excel, word, pdf, jpg and I use also TC to transfer files on server.

Well what I do now is :
- I open TC with 2 panes and I select a directory where I have ONLY DOC files and a directory with ONLY excel

- I open a new TC with 2 panes and I select a directory where I have ONLY PDF files and a directory with ONLY JPG

- finally a open a new TC with 2 panes and I selct the source directory and the target directory (server)

If I could have the possibility to have a TC where I can open (for example 2, 3, 4 panes) I can open only 2 TC, one with the 4 my directories and one TC with 2 panes with source and target directories

The question is very simple : is this possible ? in the sense is possible to do ?, if not because is very difficult to develop, in this case we can close this topic open from long long time.

Thanks
Francesco Schino
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2francescoschino
Do you know that TC offers tabs? If so, do you use them? They might make your scenario a little easier to handle, especially when saving the tabs (to a file) and loading them again.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
francescoschino

Dalai, thanks for reply, please let me understand how to proceede with these tabs, I never used them.
Thanks a lot
Francesco
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2francescoschino
Well, you use tabs in your browser, don't you? They're very similar in TC. Use Ctrl+T to open a new tab (or rather, copy the current tab), Ctrl+W closes the current tab, and Ctrl+Tab (Ctrl+Shift+Tab) switches between tabs on the active panel. So, instead of launching a new TC instance, you could open a new tab and filter your files there.

Saving tabs is easy: either you let TC save them when exiting, or you can save tabs to a .tab file by right-clicking the tabs and select "Save tabs to file" or "Save tabs on both sides to file". To load the again, select "Load tabs, replace tabs" or "Load tabs, keep current".

I'm sure the TC help contains some more information about tabs.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
AlexIlin

Post by *AlexIlin »

Admirable.
MIDIcat

Post by *MIDIcat »

The weirdest form of a feature request. You could just set the topic to something like "Four panels suggestion".
Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Quick view together with two panels look nice. However most of this was discussed many times in topics about 4 panels together with some different ways of detecting source/target panel for all regular two-panel operations like copy/move/pack/etc.

It is much more important to suggest complete behaviour model than to show how it may look, and this model shouldn't confuse current TC users. So changing meaning of existing Ctrl+Arrow and Alt+Arrow shortcuts isn't good. Also I think copy/move to all panels by standard F5/F6 is not a thing that should be done.
JohnTC

Wow

Post by *JohnTC »

So, I got almost no use for the 4 panel thing. I can't really think of any time I would really need it.

Still . . . I think the pictures were really compelling. It just looked really nice.

I have a concern about repurposing existing shortcut keys. Perhaps that needs to be rethought. Maybe if more than one target panel, F5 enters copy/move mode, and then arrow keys and ctrl-arrow keys copy. Or something like that.

Nice QuickView, btw.

Speaking of QuickView, more than 4 panels I would like QuickView to work out of the box. I don't want to have to configure it at all. Out of the box TC should quickview . . . everything.

Of course, from other posts it appears that 4 panels is unlikely.
Kevlar

Post by *Kevlar »

I still think in 30Gb+ files era the file managers really need an editable queue style copy/move system, integrated in main window (single window UI), with copy/move speed graph log. Here is a gif I made back in 2011. It is from an old forgotten forum topic called [wish] Next Gen file manager - how it should look like?.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Panel Groups

Post by *Balderstrom »

What TC needs is Groups: a collection of Panels|Tabs.

Each Group has it's own state:
Left|Right Tabs, QuickView, History, etc.

TC's normal behaviour with 2 Panels,of Tabs on the Left|Right:
  • Left is always Left. Right is always Right.
  • Target is the inactive panel. Source is the Active Panel.
This behaviour could be thought of as "Panel Links". We don't see these links, we just know it and accept (and expect) the given behaviour.

Groups with "Panel Links"
  • Ability to change Panel Link behaviour.
  • Ability to potentially have multiple Panels.
  • GUI to show a "Directional Arrow Overlay" that displays the current behaviour of the "Active" Tabs in their respective panels.
  • Ability to assign a non-exclusive hotkey to displaying the Overlay (e.g. Shift or Alt).
The "Directional Arrow Overlay" would show how the given Panel|Tab is linked, so far as "Parent|Child", "Target|Source", "Left|Right" is concerned.
  • A Panel (and all it's tabs) can be "linked" to multiple (target) panels.
  • Except: A Tab on any Panel can override a Panel's default|custom behaviour.
  • A Child Panel would be a Tree View that has a linked (child) File List Panel, or a given Panel's QuickView.
A key part is the ability of a TAB on a panel to specify how it should behave, without needing to change how every single Tab on that panel behaves. As you would likely not want every single Tab in a given Panel to be linked to multiple panels, or even the same panels at all... Or maybe you would :-)

With Groups of Panels, and each Panel potentially having its own set of Tabs, along with the ability to indicate how those Panels are Linked to one another. You can have standard 2 panel behaviour or multi-panel behaviour or BOTH at the same time if you like.

Although, since individual Tabs can't have their own local "history", nor can we choose what Tab should activate when we close a tab. Nor assign a hotkey to possibly different closing actions: e.g. close and activate left|right), close and activate parent Tab (if it exists), etc. I wont pray for this too hard.

Addenum:
One might also need the ability to specify WHERE a given Panel's QuickView would display:
  • Above|Below the Panel
  • Opposite Side of.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

I do like the setup outlined by planningall - I to would like to see 4 panels - I used to do that with Dos Navigator. You could create a new "manager" and swap with ctrl-tab, via the Window menu you could tile or cascade them if you wish. Tiling would show 4-6 etc panels in one window.

I found it very useful.

The two panel concept remained the same you copied from left - to - right or vice versa so not to above/below. You could keep that concept and only allow mouse operations between two different panel sets.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)