Recycle bin issue

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Justneedthistowork

Recycle bin issue

Post by *Justneedthistowork »

My old laptop just died, bought a new one. My old laptop had a recycle bin with files inside of it. Will total commander be able to access said files and be able to retrieve them? The hidden files/drives and the hidden system files were not able to locate these files as I took permissions of the user account over with my new laptop but there was nothing inside of the recycle bin once I was able to locate it. Will total commander be how I access these files?
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Recycle bin issue

Post by *white »

I have no experience in this matter and I don't know if there is a user friendly way to retrieve those files. But I think you should at least be able to check if the files are there by checking the $Recycle.Bin folder in the root of the drive. Your files should be in one of the subfolders there with random names.

You can watch this video to learn about the technical aspects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk8Io_cgYyY

If you found the files, then perhaps copying them to your own subfolder within the $Recycle.Bin folder is enough to be able to restore them normally via you Recycle Bin. But, as I said I have no experience in this matter, so experiment at your own risk!
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

I use the content plugin decRecyclebin and made custom columns for the hidden folder $RECYCLE.BIN .
This way I can see the original path and filename within TC.
#5767 Personal license
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I'm wondering if "laptop died" means that its drive is also dead. If that is the case, there won't be any chance to get any data from it, recycle bin or otherwise.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror