Windows 10: Problem on deleting, TC freeze up.

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gusJ

Windows 10: Problem on deleting, TC freeze up.

Post by *gusJ »

TC 8.52a hangs up when deleting folders under Windows 10 version 1511 and build 10586.3.
on notebook with Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD + 1 TB SSD
F-Secure Internet Security

------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, after so many years of excellent operation, TC started to behave strange, making me mad. Whenever I try to delete a folder, the progress bar proceeds to 100% and then TC hangs up. I can not close the progress bar, can not pause the process, and the Background button remains ineffective, as well, so I need to close TC from Task Manager.

I remember I had a similar issue many years ago, but I can't remember the solution. (But it might have been something simple.)

The issue affects TC 8.52a which worked well for weeks. I have just upgraded Windows 10 Pro to the first SP-like thing, to version 1511 and build 10586.3. The problem did not occur before the upgrade. I can't remember if I attempted to delete folders this morning, and therefore can't tell if it worked well for some time after the upgrade, but let's assume it did not.

The problem does not seem to affect any other operations: file/folder creation, file deletion, folder move all works fine, only folder deletion makes TC hung.

I do have F-Secure Internet Security, however it's been running since years, with no interference with TC. I don't think it causes the problem.

There were no any changes in HW/SW config. The affected machine is a notebook with Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD + 1 TB SSD, so it's practically impossible that some background indexing or such processes can block resources for longer then a couple of seconds.

Please help, this issue hurts me badly :(

[face=timesnewroman]---

German thread: Windows 10: Problem beim Löschen, TC friert ein.

---
[/face]
gusJ

Post by *gusJ »

Updates:

I have 4 other computers upgraded to Windows 10 november update. None of those experience the error.

I also made sure not F-Secure is interfering with TC: disabling all security features did not bring any change in the behavior. One of the other computers also run the same F-Secure, another one runs a different F-secure product, with no problem.

I tried to launch TC in admin mode, but everything is the same, the only faulty operation is folder deletion, and the problem occurs in 100% of the folder deletion attempts.

(Anyway, to folder gets actually deleted, only TC hangs.)
Alter314

Post by *Alter314 »

I have exactly the same problem. Please somebody help!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, just tested both 32- and 64-bit TC 8.52a under Windows 10 v. 1511 64 bit - no such problem...
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

No problems here with 32- and 64-bit TC 8.52a under Windows 10 v. 1511 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I need more information because I cannot reproduce the problem. If you encounter this problem, try packing the folder(s) which causes the hang with the "diskdir" or "diskdir extended" plugin.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gusJ

Post by *gusJ »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I need more information because I cannot reproduce the problem. If you encounter this problem, try packing the folder(s) which causes the hang with the "diskdir" or "diskdir extended" plugin.
Hi, thanks for your response.

For me, it affects all kinds of drives: local ones on C: drive, those on USB-connected flash drives, as well as network folders located on a NAS.

I think I did not mentioned that folders can be deleted from Explorer with no problem.

I made another experiment: I tried to delete a folder from the machine experiencing the problem from a Total Commander instance running on a VM with the same operating system and TC version: and I could delete the folder shared on the affected machine. I hope this helps to track down where the issue may come from.

As per diskdir, do you mean to create a list of folders affected to submit to you for analysis?

Is there any thing you can think of which may be prone to hang up once the deletion actually succeeds? It's like some third party stuff would punch into the process, not releasing something TC expects.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2gusJ

Have you tried deleting after starting TC with a fresh totalcmd.ini file - maybe it is a particular TC-setting or plugin on that particular machine that causes the problem.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
gusJ

Post by *gusJ »

petermad wrote:2gusJ

Have you tried deleting after starting TC with a fresh totalcmd.ini file - maybe it is a particular TC-setting or plugin on that particular machine that causes the problem.
I've just tested this, and deleted my wincmd.ini, maintained for more than 15 years or so (of course, I made a backup of it). The problem remains the same with a fresh new ini file as well.

But your suggestion gave an idea, and I've tried to set TC to use Explorer delete method in config. It works fine! So the problem only seems to affect TC's custom delete method.

After the test I reverted to TC's own delete method, and deletion worked fine until restarting TC, then the problem reappeared.

The Shift+DEL to delete premanantly instead of moving to recycle bin works fine!

So the quick workaround is to switch to Explorer delete method.

Does TC's own delete method offer any benefits other than handling file comments (which I have never used)?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

So the delete to recycle bin with the new method introduced in Vista is the problem? Stange, another user reported that he had the problem when trying to _permanently_ delete files (bypassing recycle bin).

Try emptying the recycle bin. Maybe it's damaged.
gusJ

Post by *gusJ »

ghisler(Author) wrote:So the delete to recycle bin with the new method introduced in Vista is the problem?
If you mean that TC uses a method introduced in Vista when set to use its own delete method, then you may be right. When using the Windows delete method in TC, everything is fine, so I cannot answer this question reliably, I'm afraid.

But if the problem is experienced when deleting to recycle bin by me, and not when permanently deleting folders, and if someone experienced the reverse of this situation, maybe it's not related to the recycle bin, but something common in the two operations.
ghisler(Author) wrote:Try emptying the recycle bin. Maybe it's damaged.
It doesn't seem to have any effect.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC uses the IFileOperation OLE interface to delete files on Vista or newer. This has caused crashes already once when Microsoft suddently changed the way the interface worked. But this has long been fixed (sincd TC 7.57), so there should be no problem with TC 8.52a - and I cannot reproduce any problems either.

It could just be that some third party shell extensions causes the hang, or that the OLE subsystem is damaged.

Some more questions:
1. Do you also get problems with context menus (Shift+F10) on folders, or property sheet (Alt+Enter)?

2. Do you get the problem with TC 32-bit or 64-bit?
gusJ

Post by *gusJ »

ghisler(Author) wrote: Some more questions:
1. Do you also get problems with context menus (Shift+F10) on folders, or property sheet (Alt+Enter)?

2. Do you get the problem with TC 32-bit or 64-bit?
No, both works fine. Deleting from context menu opened by Shift+F10 works also fine (I know this is performed by Windows).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's strange that it blocks, because TC calls the actual file operation in a background thread. It would be helpful if you could contact me by e-mail (support at ghisler dot com), so I could send you a test version where I log each step of the delete operation to find out here it hangs.
Apod42

Post by *Apod42 »

Facing exactly the same problem as OP. I run Total Commander 8.52a, on Windows 10 Pro.

When I try to delete a folder using F8, TC freezes. The folder is deleted, nonetheless. If I detele a folder using Shif+F8 everything is ok. If I delete a folder using right click and then Delete from the window all works ok.

Important: The problem does not appear if I log into Windows 10 using the hidden built-in administrator account! F8 on folders works just fine in this case.

Please anyone, any solutions?