[Fixed in 9.x] Hang - Compare Content & ace

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

krasusczak

[Fixed in 9.x] Hang - Compare Content & ace

Post by *krasusczak »

OK I have found some very interesting bug..

You need to have two archives to compare one ace & for ex. one rar
in the left panel enter ace archive, in the right panel enter rar archive & if you take Compare Contents normal or internal you will see compared files but if you press esc to close compare window, you will see permanent TotalCMD Unpack progress window & you need kill TCM or press X on main program window (at progress window X doesn't work at all)..

What is more interesting to crash you need ace, second one is not important & this ace archive need to be in the left panel..
If you take ace to right panel & rar to the left all will be ok, & if don't use this one ace just two rar's also all will be ok..

WinXP 32bit, 8.52a
Last edited by krasusczak on 2016-06-18, 08:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Can you reproduce this with a clean wincmd.ini? TC on my system doesn't unpack any files from the ACE archive, instead it shows the red question mark when instructed to compare by contents. Might have something to do with the archive, I'm not sure.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

Dalai wrote:Can you reproduce this with a clean wincmd.ini?
yes, thesame

tc have internal ace unpacker so you probably turned off this internal unpacker
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Who on earth still uses ACE archives ?
Last update on their web page is from 2008
krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

Horst.Epp wrote:Who on earth still uses ACE archives ?
Last update on their web page is from 2008
yea I agree, I just compared some files from my old (ace) archive with the new one in rar ;d
Last edited by krasusczak on 2016-03-20, 17:17 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

krasusczak wrote:yes, thesame
Yeah, well, same here, as in "TC doesn't unpack any file from the ACE archive".
tc have internal ace unpacker so you probably turned off this internal unpacker
No, I didn't turn it off. TC unpacks files from the archive when the file pairs in the Synchronization window is double clicked. And I can unpack files manually just fine, of course.

Can you provide some (sample) ACE archive that can be used to reproduce this issue? I can't create such archives. And I only have three of them which I can't share with anyone.

BTW: I agree with Horst.Epp.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

I don't have access to ace packer any more, my files are also priv but I have found some example here: https://northstone.plan.io/attachments/download/947/ace.ace
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Can't make TC unpack the files from this ACE archive in synchronization either. Don't know where the problem could be.

I'm using XP 32 bit and TC 8.52a, too.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

Hmm interesting because I unpack this "keywords.xlsx" file w/w a problems at this config..
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

To be clear: I can unpack the archive contents just fine when I do this manually. But TC doesn't do this automatically when "by contents" is selected in TC's synchronization feature. Also, as already mentioned above, TC unpacks the files from the archive when the line with the red question mark is double clicked. In short: TC doesn't unpack the ACE archive automatically, only on user's explicit request. ZIP and RAR archives work fine, though.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

Ok now I understand

I'm talking from the beginning about "Compare Contents..." or "Compare Contents (Internal)..." functions from "Files" menu, not about "Synchronize directories"

I completely forget about "Synchronize directories" because I'm using this only for compare dir's not inside of the archive, so "Synchronize directories" also Hang TC & yes ace are not unpacked automatically like rar & zip ;P

p.s.
TC never unpacks automatically ace archives in Synchronization Tool, maybe this is some kind of limitation of unacev2.dll or something.. Author may clarify this

p.s2.
Ok in the Synchronization Tool I have a little different bug behaviour, because ace archive need to be on both sides - left & right..
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

krasusczak wrote:I'm talking from the beginning about "Compare Contents..." or "Compare Contents (Internal)..." functions from "Files" menu, not about "Synchronize directories"
Ah, sorry, my bad. Reading the OP again, I don't know how I could think of Synchronization...

Now I can confirm the bug! TC doesn't hide the progress window, and this very window doesn't react to any input.
p.s2.
Ok in the Synchronization Tool I have a little different bug behaviour, because ace archive need to be on both sides - left & right..
Confirmed, too.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Hopefully Christian will not spend time to fix this bug.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Horst.Epp wrote:Hopefully Christian will not spend time to fix this bug.
Um, why not? Just because it's about ACE archives? What if it's not limited to ACE but also affects other packers, maybe even packer plugins? In such case, it should definitely be fixed.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

<Offtop>
Horst.Epp wrote:Who on earth still uses ACE archives ? ... Hopefully Christian will not spend time to fix this bug.
Instead of posting offtopic messages like "archive format X is outdated, don't waste the time on it!" in different threads on this forum, why don't you make a suggestion in relevant forum to Christian requesting to remove the support of archive formats you don't like from Total Commander?
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708