An option to skip the recycle bins during the searches

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

BlackWinny

An option to skip the recycle bins during the searches

Post by *BlackWinny »

Hello!

Could we have an option to avoid the recycle bins during the searches by Alt-F7 through full drives?

For example the presence of a checkbox placed at the current empty room at the right side under the field "search In" (this check box would consider that the directories to skip are directories which always contain the string "recycle" somewhere in their pathnames, I have for example $Recycle.bin on my local disks but I have #Recycle on my Synology NAS).

The best would be of course the ability to load (simple by a button "Load a list of paths to skip") a text file containing at each line a pathname to skip, so that the user can parameter himself different configurations at his ease, simply by choosing this or that text file, each one containing a different list of paths to skip regarding the current work he does. This solution would allow at the same occasion to skip not only the recycle bins but also any other parts of the disk(s), for example to skip some extremely long directories (mirrors of full websites for example) where we perfectly know that the thing we search for is absolutely not in them.

Cheers!
:)
Jacques
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, you can add $Recycle.bin tp ignore list to hide/skip/don't touch these folders in TC. You will still be able to enter them via cd command.
BlackWinny

Post by *BlackWinny »

MVV wrote:Well, you can add $Recycle.bin tp ignore list to hide/skip/don't touch these folders in TC. You will still be able to enter them via cd command.
Oh ! Thanks a lot MVV !

I didn't know the existence of that "Ignore list". After having read your answer I have searched on the word "Ignore" in the help chm. And I have found this feature thanks to your reply!

So in that case, I would highly suggest Christian to add in the "Search" panel a new little button simply to access this "ignore list". Because it is certain that many users don't know the existence of that "Ignore List". I use TC since 2005 and I didn't yet know it in 2016.
:D
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

BlackWinny,
Also, in the Find Files dialog, during search:
The status line (footer) shows the directory currently being searched, and the file details after the search has finished. With a click on a part of the directory it is possible to skip that directory (after confirmation).
HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
BlackWinny

Post by *BlackWinny »

Hacker wrote:BlackWinny,
Also, in the Find Files dialog, during search:
The status line (footer) shows the directory currently being searched, and the file details after the search has finished. With a click on a part of the directory it is possible to skip that directory (after confirmation).
HTH
Roman
Thanks a lot, Roman!

And this way to proceed includes automatically the concerned folder into the "Ignore list" ? Or is it only for the current TC session ? Do you know ?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

BlackWinny,
Only for the running search. Glad to help. ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
BlackWinny

Post by *BlackWinny »

Hacker wrote:BlackWinny,
Only for the running search. Glad to help. ;)

Roman
Thank you Roman !

It's useful to be aware of that little difference regarding the situation.

Glad to have got these kind informations from you all !

Thank a lot to you all!

Jacques (in France)