How to use SFTP plugin; SSL/TLS support in TC?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kem

How to use SFTP plugin; SSL/TLS support in TC?

Post by *kem »

I am happy user of purchased TC as well. I tried to setup SFTP the last hour but without success.

1) There are many suggestion how to setup SSL/TLS support in Total Commander on the internet (copy the required DLLs). I tried several but without any real success. The usual result was frozen TC after SLL button was checked.

2) Then I have found there is SFTP plugin which should be installed as an alternative solution. I installed it, downloaded required DLLs but I don't know how to invoke it and use it.

Maybe I just failed to find good instructions. Is there any?

I am sorry but I am forced to install a different client.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It would be really useful if someone tell us about his configuration, don't you think? Windows, TC version and architecture etc. With given problem description I can simply answer 'It works fine for me and thousands of another users'.

I use this SFTP plugin and it works fine w/o any SSL libraries (it uses PuTTY library so as a bonus I have to setup my connections only once for both PuTTY and TC SFTP).
kem

Post by *kem »

I will be happy to be the 1002 user who was able to install SFTP on Total Commander successfully .

My basic question is: How do you setup the connection? How shall I use the plugin? I installed the plugin(maybe successfully) but I don't know which dialog shall I open or what should I do to use it. I tried the original FTP dialog but the the behavior is very same as before.

My configuration:
Windows 7 64 bit, TC 8.51a
EDIT: New secure ftp plugin version 1.4.2 beta 1 (32 bit+64 bit)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You should be able to access it via Network Neighborhood like any other WFX plugin.

In case of mentioned plugin there should be a subfolder named Secure FTP Connections with list of all saved PuTTY connections and special <edit connections> item.

Your plugin may really require SSL libraries and have another subfolder name. And it has Readme file that describes how to install and use it, also you can read plugin topic in order to get some help (I'm sure that similar problems were discussed many times).

BTW you haven't specified TC architecture but it is important because in case of 64-bit TC you must use 64-bit SSL libraries.
kem

Post by *kem »

Thank you. That's useful. I was able to find it in the Network Neighborhood.

However, it still doesn't work. The popup dialog appears after I try to connect ..

---------------------------
Error
---------------------------
Please put libssh2.dll and libeay32.dll either
- in the same directory as the plugin, or
- in the Total Commander dir, or
- in subdir 'x64' of the plugin or TC directory, or
- somewhere in your PATH!

I have all DLLs freshly downloaded in the plugin folder. The versions are ...
libssh2.dll - 1.4.3.0
zlib1.dll - 1.2.8
libeay32.dll - 1.0.0.15
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I have all DLLs freshly downloaded in the plugin folder. The versions are ...
Yes but are your DLLS 64-bit? It is very important as I said because 64-bit plugin cannot use 32-bit DLLs.
kem

Post by *kem »

I am unable to reply as the post is unable to go through anti-spam (though there is no single link in my post)

edit: I will try to post my original message piece by piece (sorry)
kem

Post by *kem »

Maybe, that's the issue,

I followed the plugin readme,txt where is stated ,,,

Please scroll down to the section named Win32 - Generic
and download the following package (or a newer one):
Windows 32 2000 XP 7 20 1 "l i b c u r l" SSL enabled Günter Knauf 2,84 MB

While on the plugins page is declared:

In the section named "Win64 - MinGW64", download the following package (or a newer one): MinGW64 7,40,0 devel SSL SSH Günter Knauf 2,15 MB

I replaced the DLLs and
1st attempt: It is trying to authenticate with password (but without success oscillating around 80% of progress bar)
2nd attempt: crash of Total Commander

I installed the Filezilla and downloaded the file without problems meantime but I would like to get it worked in Total Commander, I will keep it trying,

WARNING: the word "L I B C U R L" prevents me to post and yield anti-spam blocking.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Please try another SFTP plugin, it is really free from these problems.