Fast forward open dir

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Fast forward open dir

Post by *Lefteous »

Now what is this? It's a quite unusual feature request. Due to a given project structure I often face folder structures that only contain one subfolder and this subfolder contains only one subfolder and this subfolder contains only - guess what. It's stupid to play the down+enter game again and again.

It would be nice to have a special command that goes down until there is something else but a single folder.

In the IDE these paths can be combined to a single level but I guess this would be difficult for a file manager.
ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

Is there anything that the branch view doesn't do in this scenario?
[ctrl]+b and maybe [ctrl]+left/right?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Fast forward open dir

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Lefteous wrote:Now what is this? It's a quite unusual feature request. Due to a given project structure I often face folder structures that only contain one subfolder and this subfolder contains only one subfolder and this subfolder contains only - guess what. It's stupid to play the down+enter game again and again.

It would be nice to have a special command that goes down until there is something else but a single folder.

In the IDE these paths can be combined to a single level but I guess this would be difficult for a file manager.
Everything can do that
Search Syntax:
test childfoldercount:0
Searches for test with 0 subfolders.

I have TC integrated in Everything so I can jump to the dirs found.
Also the FSE plugin can be used together with Everything.
I use Everything version 1.4.0.716b (x64)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think it is easy to do with simple script that will test nested folders until there are more than one items and then pass final dir to TC.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ZoSTeR
How is this related? I just want to go to the folder where is more than one subfolder - no branching.

2Horst.Epp
This criteria doesn't help. It mainly about > 1 not 0. I also don't understand how it helps me to navigate inside TC.

2MVV
script
Surprise surprise. Do you really think I'm not aware that it can be done with a script or program? :roll:

Thanks for all replies but again - I didn't ask for existing EXTERNAL solutions. I asked for an internal solution.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

So why do you want to wait for at least for month when you can create a script within a day or two? :wink:
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2MVV
Well what is the direction you want TC to evolve? Everyone creating individual solutions on top? We already had that for years.

I'm fine with a with a script/external program in this case when Ghisler decides that it's to special. Otherwise anyone could benefit.

It's just superfluous to write that it can be done other than internally. Hail to Captain Obvious!

So to sum it up. This subforum is to make suggestions how to improve TC. Is this so difficult to understand?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Sorry, but I'm for internal solutions for things that can't be done with external tools easilly in contrast to this one.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Lefteous wrote:2ZoSTeR
How is this related? I just want to go to the folder where is more than one subfolder - no branching.

2Horst.Epp
This criteria doesn't help. It mainly about > 1 not 0. I also don't understand how it helps me to navigate inside TC.

2MVV
script
Surprise surprise. Do you really think I'm not aware that it can be done with a script or program? :roll:

Thanks for all replies but again - I didn't ask for existing EXTERNAL solutions. I asked for an internal solution.
To my understanding you want to go the the last sub-dir in a tree which does not contain more sub-dirs..
Using TC plugin FSE together with Everything I can do exactly this.
But may be I don't understand your wish.
TC 9 supports Everything and so it may also work like my example.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Horst.Epp
To my understanding you want to go the the last sub-dir in a tree which does not contain more sub-dirs..
Again no. It looks like we need an example. The structure is something like
de/supercool-company/engineering/projectX/src/main/controller/
All these folders contain only a single subfolder but 'controller' contains quite a few files. This is the folder where I want to go to.
Just explain in detail how the command look like. Unfortunately I cannot use Everything in env. but it might help others.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

In Java sources, I normally use Ctrl+B - place cursor on file - Ctrl+B.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Ctrl+B is good to a certain file. I want to go to the top-level of the project that contains sources.
Ctrl+B isn't supported on file system plugins which I have to use in this case.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Lefteous wrote:2Horst.Epp
Again no. It looks like we need an example. The structure is something like
de/supercool-company/engineering/projectX/src/main/controller/
All these folders contain only a single subfolder but 'controller' contains quite a few files. This is the folder where I want to go to.
Just explain in detail how the command look like. Unfortunately I cannot use Everything in env. but it might help others.
Following your example the search in FSE/Everything would be
supercool-company childfoldercount:0
That would match any folder containing supercool-company with no further sub-dir, so its the deepest level containg your sources.
But in your last posting you said something about file system plugins you have to use. Everything by default indexes only NTFS but can also index available shares with its folder indexing feature.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Horst.Epp,
He wants to enter multiple child dirs (if they only contain single child item) in a single hotkey press, FSE won't help here, only some kind of script. But in case of WFX plugin folder even script won't help too much...