[Solved] [9.0ß1] Access to Network Neighborhood delayed

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

[Solved] [9.0ß1] Access to Network Neighborhood delayed

Post by *deus-ex »

Accessing the Network Neighborhood in v9.0 beta 1 takes unusually long (~5 -8 seconds). Also after entering into any file system plugin (e.g. Registry 5.2, Services, Uninstaller64), upon return to the Network Neighborhood root folder it takes unusually long (~5-8 seconds). And having Network Neighborhood open in one file paneel causes repeated delays, where I even cannot move the file cursor.

With a parallel installation of TC v8.52 on the same system I do not witness any delays, the access is spontaneous all the time. The same is true for all earlier releases of TC that I used in the past.

EDIT: For both TC v9.0 beta 1 and v8.52 I'm using the same configuration settings and plugins. Running on Windows 10 Pro x64.

EDIT2: fixed spelling
Last edited by deus-ex on 2016-06-15, 22:47 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

It must be caused by some settings (I welcome any hint which ones). With my regular config it's slow too (Windows 7, both 32 and 64-bit TC). But with clean ini, it's fast as before.

Edit: If it helps in any way, I can see in Process Monitor that during the wait, TC calls RegQueryValue() for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\SecurityService\DefaultAuthLevel several hundered times in row. And it fails every time, because the key does not exist.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Found the problem in my config:

[Configuration]
NethoodStyle=x

For x being:
0 => fast
1 => fast
2 => slow
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Hi Sob,

thanks for the feedback. I tried all three possible settings of "NetHoodStyle", unfortunately the situation remains unchanged for me.

Code: Select all

NetHoodStyle=1   Style of the Network Neighborhood:
                 0: as provided by Windows
                 1: also show XP-style subfolder "Workgroup"
                 2: only XP-style
Judging by the description found in TC's help file I would'nt expect this flag to have an impact on the access speed of the Network Neighborhood. Also, there isn't any change noted in the history.txt related to NetHoodStyle since December, 11th 2011.

Hopefully Christian can shed some light on what possibly could be the root cause of the issue.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks, I will check why NethoodStyle=2 is slow. Nethood should actually be much faster in TC9!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

2deus-ex: You should start by trying TC with clean ini files (*1) and see if it's fast. And if it is, then all you need is to find which option in your regular ini file causes it. ;) Look for anything remotely related to network and plugins and perhaps you'll be lucky as I was and find it fast.

-
(*1) Run "totalcmd64.exe /i=c:\some\path\tc.ini /f=c:\some\path\ftp.ini" where c:\some\path\ is a path where you don't have your current ini files.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Hi Sob,

I just did that, simply copied my Total Commander folder to a different location, replaced wincmd.ini with a completely empty file and then started TC. The lag issue still remains.

Again, as a reminder: TC v8.52 does not behave like this at all. Contrary to v9ß1 it opens Network Neighborhhod instantly, no delays and no stuttering. I also just checked v8.52 with an completely empty wincmd.ini, and again no delays, fluent access to Network Neighborhood.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks, I will check why NethoodStyle=2 is slow. Nethood should actually be much faster in TC9!
According to the online help the default setting for NethoodStyle is 1. Then again, neither of its possible settings changes the laggy behaviour for me.

If I can support you identifying the root if the issue, for example by running any tool or a special test bed release of TC, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm gladly willing to help.
addhaloka

Re: [9.0ß1] Access to Network Neighborhood delayed

Post by *addhaloka »

deus-ex wrote:Accessing the Network Neighborhood in v9.0 beta 1 takes unusually long (~5 -8 seconds). Also after entering into any file system plugin (e.g. Registry 5.2, Services, Uninstaller64), upon return to the Network Neighborhood root folder it takes unusually long (~5-8 seconds). And having Network Neighborhood open in one file paneel causes repeated delays, where I even cannot move the file cursor.
I confirm it.
Whatever the bit of TC, I watch the same with TC v9.0 beta 1 in Win 8.1 Pro x64. And even more - if expand from the taskbar running Firefox while running TC, open Network Neighborhood - TC becomes a permanent freeze, and can only kill a process TC.
In v8.52a (and previous) this is not under any conditions, also not see it with TC v9.0 beta 1 in Win XP SP3.
silencer

Post by *silencer »

Here the same lag.
No difference in using Nethoodstyle settings..
Also no difference in x86 or x64 TC

Win 10 Home x64
Nigurrath

Post by *Nigurrath »

Hi all,
I also have the same issue whatever value of Nethoodstyle.
Win8.1 64b TCb 32b
always latest 32b TC on a WIN10 64b
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Actually, NethoodStyle=2 seems to not work in TC9β1. I have this value too, but when I open Network Neiborhood in TC9 I get my plugins, plus "Network (WORKGROUP)" subdir (like in 8.52a), plus computers and devices around me (which should NOT happen with NethoodStyle=2). The network computers/devices do not appear immediately but take some time to show one-by-one.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

It works correctly here (except for delay), no devices are shown for NethoodStyle=2. Tested again with clean ini, where I only changed NethoodStyle. Only when I left Network neighborhood open in one panel, closed TC and started it again, there was delay and at the end of it, other computers appeared for split of a second, but they were immediately replaced by only network/group directory.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please try with beta 2!

You may get delay-loaded computers in network neighborhood even with NetHood=2. Should I suppress them?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
silencer

Post by *silencer »

This is now solved for me!