Place separate Quickview always on secondary screen

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

EricB

Place separate Quickview always on secondary screen

Post by *EricB »

The separate Quickview lister is really useful, but could be even more useful with an option to always place it on the secondary screen (for those who are lucky enough to have one)?

This assuming of course that TC is running on the Main screen.

Regards, EricB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Try using "Save position". This affects the normal F3 too, though.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Yes, that could work. I'm not quite sure if I'd like the normal Lister to function like that. I'll try it for a few days and see how it turns out.

Regards, EricB
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Well, a few remarks:

- It seems that Save position does not work entirely correct for the Quickview Lister Window. It shows up on the secondary screen all right, but never maximized, although I used Save position when maximized. Odd thing is that any normal Lister Window (opened with F3) does show up maximized. Bug?

- It would be quite handy to indicate which Lister window is the separate Quickview. In case of multiple Lister windows open, one cannot directly see which window is the correct one. I already closed the wrong window a few times. How about changing the title from Lister (pluginname) to Quickview (pluginname)? The plugin name is very handy in this respect, so it should stay.

If you want I can bring these two items up as new reports, a bug and a suggestion.

Regards, EricB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will check it.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2ghisler(Author)
Wqould it be possible to store two separate positions?
One for standard Lister and another - for separate preview window.

Or – perhaps – positions of each Lister cm_ command?

Reason: cm_List does not automatically hide behind TC and I can use it for really quick look on file (and hit Esc after that).
cm_SeparateQuickView loses focus and is better by default to be on secondary screen.

Because of that, separating could work better in my case.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, I could do that, and use the position for regular lister if none is defined for separate quick view.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2ghisler(Author)
Hi. Is there any progress with this feature?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I just added this earlier today! Separate quick view will still use normal Lister position if nothing else was set, but you can use "Save position" to set a different position now.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think it would also be nice if separate quick view window had some marker to distinguish it from regular Lister windows (maybe some asterisk in its title?)... It may be hard to detect it if you have many open Lister windows.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

MVV wrote:I think it would also be nice if separate quick view window had some marker to distinguish it from regular Lister windows (maybe some asterisk in its title?)... It may be hard to detect it if you have many open Lister windows.
or use Quickview ([PluginName] in Titlebar instead of Lister ([Pluginname]) as I suggested a few posts before.

Regards, EricB
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Good idea! Sorry I haven't noticed it.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Christian,

I noticed that the separate Quickview position can now be saved independently from Lister position, that works well, it is now opened on the correct screen.

However, when starting separate Quickview it is always opened as a non-maximized window with seemingly fixed width and height (1440 x 720). Maximizing it and saving position does not work for this, it is always opened with that non-maximized size.

Regards, EricB
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

EricB wrote:Maximizing it and saving position does not work for this, it is always opened with that non-maximized size.
Problem appears only if you use aero snap to maximize the window.
Works fine if you double click the title bar (or use the [_] Maximize button or <Alt+Space><X>).

Regards
Holger
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Holger,

I already used double click Window title to maximize. Using the maximize button does also not solve this. And indeed Aero snap also did not.

Additional info: when the window is opened in non-maximized size, the upper right middle icon (two rectangles on top of each other) indicates it is already fully maximized. Clicking this icon and then clicking it again will indeed fully maximize the window. But after Save position, closing it by either Esc (in the Window itself) or by Ctrl-Sh-Q (in TC) and reopening, it will again appear non-maximized.

I tried this on both monitors, but it does not matter if you save position on the primary or secondary monitor.

Might of course be some system setting. I'm using Win10 x64 Pro (1607) and TCx32 9.0 RC1, BTW.

Regards, EricB