Everything only detected when running

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Everything only detected when running

Post by *Lefteous »

Everything is still only detected when it's running. Not exactly a bug but it shouldn't be necessary.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Everything only detected when running

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Lefteous wrote:Everything is still only detected when it's running. Not exactly a bug but it shouldn't be necessary.
Agreed
TC should have a config item to specify the path from which to start the Everything.exe if it its not running.

But normal Everything users have the exe and the service running in background anyway :D
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Error message should be changed anyway. When user have Everything installed but not running, it isn't correct to suggest downloading and installing it, must better would be something like 'Everything is not running, please start it....', and maybe some note with download link at the end.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If the user installs everything with their installer, then it is running automatically in the background.

There is currently no way to detect an installed but not running everything (or is there?).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
I don't know if it can be detected automatically but there will always be cases where it cannot be detected especially when using the portable installation.

I suggest the following flow when clicking the checkbox in search dialog:
1. Msg 'Everything has not been detected. Has Everywhere been installed on this computer?' Yes/No.
2a. Yes -> Offer user to select the Everything executable
2b No -> Ask to download Everywhere
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Beta 3 now automatically starts an Everything.exe when it's located in its program folder.

The Everything UI is started in the background. Maybe you could start it with main window hidden?
ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

I think the "-startup" parameter fits this use case.

-startup    Run Everything in the background.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, nice, I couldn't find that so I used WM_SHOWMINIMIZED instead. But maybe it would be better if the user sees that Everything is starting?
ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

I think TC should complain if it still can't find the Everything process.
The additional taskbar icon has no benefit if it works as intended.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

I'm using both TC and Everything portable in Dropbox. Everything is in some other folder.

Currently TC does not find my running Everything instance, because I use a named instance. I just found that if I leave out the named instance, TC is able to detect Everything. It seems that TC searches for process "Everything" but does not allow Everything (Some Instance Name).

Would it be possible to feed more command-line parameters to Everything when starting it from TC (when not running)? I currently use the following (via a batch file):

start everything.exe -admin -config %COMPUTERNAME%.ini -instance %COMPUTERNAME% -db %COMPUTERNAME%.db

This way all data for different systems is completely separate by using the named instance, ini and database.

An alternative would be to just configure the path to the portable Everything folder/exe/batch and use this (but preferably with the extra command-line parameters).

Regards, EricB
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
But maybe it would be better if the user sees that Everything is starting?
There is the Everything icon in the notification area. This should be enough. If the user hides it - he certainly did it for some reason.
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

Please, add new option (key) for Everything path in wincmd.ini (not only from TC root directory, but from any user selected directory).
Like path to Irfanview/Xnview.
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Additional to my previous post:

The Everything -instance command line parameter also takes care of named versions of filters, search history and run history, which is again very useful when doing the portable install in Dropbox.

So support of a named instance of Everything is MUCH appreciated.

Regards, EricB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently TC does not find my running Everything instance, because I use a named instance.
Which parameter sets the named instance?
Please, add new option (key) for Everything path in wincmd.ini (not only from TC root directory, but from any user selected directory).
I will consider it.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Which parameter sets the named instance?
everything.exe -instance YourInstanceName would do the trick (choose the instance name of your liking, I use %COMPUTERNAME%). This results in

- A window title Everything (YourInstanceName)
- All saved filters, search history and run history obtain this instance name as a postfix

Regards, EricB

[Edit: instance name is added as postfix, not prefix]
Last edited by EricB on 2016-06-29, 09:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.