Option to perform Copy/Move processes in serial or parallel

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Heyns

Option to perform Copy/Move processes in serial or parallel

Post by *Heyns »

All copy/move processes in TC happens in parallel. On my external devices, this makes the operations extremely slow (more than just sharing or the available bandwidth).

It would be very nice to me if the option is added to the copy/move dialog box (or config menu) to choose to perform all copy/move operations in series or parallel . A further extension may be to have copy/move "threads" and that can happen in series/parallel and to be able to add another copy/move operation to a specific thread.

Just my 2c - it would surely help me...
Last edited by Heyns on 2016-06-17, 08:35 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

You mean like the already existing 'background transfer manager'?
Heyns

Post by *Heyns »

No, the background transfer manager allows multiple copy processes, but I would like to have the option to let these execute in SERIAL, not in parallel as per the default. In many instances, I have large data files to mode from different directories, so I cannot select all of them for one copy/move operation. The default copy/move operation slows down to less than a crawl if I use the default parallel copy/move operation to select and action the copy/move. It is much faster to select and copy the one (and let it finish), then the next (and let it finish), then the next (other than having three background parallel operations) - all in a serialised fashion. I would like to STILL be able to initiate the processes as per usual, but then to have the option to not execute them (but sequentially).

I currently have to use something like TeraCopy Pro to do this, but would LOVE if it was available from within TC itself...
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

So when you add files to the BTM they are not appended to the list of files to copy? I learn something new everyday :?:
Heyns

Post by *Heyns »

BTM also does not have an option to serialise the operations AUTOMATICALLY, as far as I know? You can add transfers (copy/move), but if added, it will be paused. You have to press the START button to execute them.

My issue is to add these actions, but that they will execure in sequence once the previous one is finished, WITHOUT further user interaction (no pausing and pressing START to initiate/proceed).
Last edited by Heyns on 2016-06-17, 20:07 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Press F2 instead of ENTER when copying (F5) or moving (F6) files, to send the files to the BTM and process them in serialized order. If you send the copy/move process to the background after starting it, it will continue in its own background thread, i.e. in parallel to the normal BTM and other processes that were sent to background after starting them.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Heyns

Post by *Heyns »

Thank you, I will try that...