Raw search string to Everything

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Raw search string to Everything

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I would like an Raw option or a Meta char on start of the search string
which forces TC to give the search text unmodified and not interpreted at all to Everything.
This would allow to use the full Everything search options.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I think TC should establish it's own advanced syntax that should be even more powerful as in Everything. That doesn't mean it has to be all different though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can use Total Commander's current search syntax with everything.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You can use Total Commander's current search syntax with everything.
Yes, but there are many Modifiers and Functions which have no equivalent in TC if you look to the Everything search syntax help.
I think a raw option is easy to program and gives the user a much bigger choice. It also supports the prefered personal style of searching and allows the usage of the ever growing Everything functionality from inside of TC.
Rob Weinstein

Post by *Rob Weinstein »

Horst.Epp wrote:I would like an Raw option or a Meta char on start of the search string
which forces TC to give the search text unmodified and not interpreted at all to Everything.
+1.

I've been trying what I thought was a very simple search in TC9 with 'Everything' selected but it turns out I must type MANY more characters in TC's search field than in Everything's search field to get the result I want. See: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=44450

Perhaps it's intended for a different kind of use, but the way it stands now it's unlikely I'd use TC's search.

Thanks,

Rob
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC search syntax and everything syntax are not compatible. I don't see how they could be mixed.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC search syntax and everything syntax are not compatible. I don't see how they could be mixed.
Mixing makes no sens as the aim is usually not the same.
But with a specific/exclusive tab for everything that could be used to silently select some files before applying TC search as second step.

// out of topic...
Iterative search is also a missing feature a new button [refine search] that mimic (feed to listbox, select all new search on selected files) could be nice to have.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I don't think Horst intended to mix anything here. He proposes to add a feature that allows TC to send the RAW string only to Everything. I think it would be a good idea to disable all other controls in the search window in such case, at least the ones that don't make sense or aren't compatible with the Everything raw search.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Dalai wrote:I don't think Horst intended to mix anything here. He proposes to add a feature that allows TC to send the RAW string only to Everything. I think it would be a good idea to disable all other controls in the search window in such case, at least the ones that don't make sense or aren't compatible with the Everything raw search.

Regards
Dalai
Yes, thats my intention.
I don't want any TC functionality with this option set.
Just let Everything select and deliver the files list and display it as usual.
That is no programing problem and gives full Everything support in TC.
Axis

Re: Raw search string to Everything

Post by *Axis »

Horst.Epp wrote:I would like an Raw option or a Meta char on start of the search string
+1 :idea: I fully agree!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any suggestions for syntax? The characters forbidden in file names <> and | are already used for other things.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, you could use a colon : or some combination of characters, but maybe another checkbox is better suited. Yes, I know it's already pretty tight in that dialog. I think it's time to clean up that dialog anyway. Honestly I don't like dialogs where controls are crowded in a small space. This also applies to the directory synchronzation window and the MRT, by the way.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Any suggestions for syntax? The characters forbidden in file names <> and | are already used for other things.
Make the "Search for" field narrower and add a checkbox "Use Everything syntax" or "Everything syntax" to the right of it?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Rob Weinstein

Post by *Rob Weinstein »

Hacker wrote:Make the "Search for" field narrower and add a checkbox "Use Everything syntax" or "Everything syntax" to the right of it?
+1.

Rob
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Hacker wrote:Christian,
Make the "Search for" field narrower and add a checkbox "Use Everything syntax" or "Everything syntax" to the right of it?

Roman
+1