Raw search string to Everything

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Hacker wrote:nsp,
Or why not asking to everything developer to create a filesystem plugin that interact directly with standard Everything UI ?
FSE-Fast Search Engine plugin?

Roman
To my knowledge FSE does not allows dynamic search once you enter letter like in the everything UI.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

nsp,
To my knowledge FSE does not allows dynamic search once you enter letter like in the everything UI.
While a bit off-topic, how would you solve that?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Hacker wrote:nsp,
While a bit off-topic, how would you solve that?

Roman
---[OT]-----
I'm personally not a big fan of dynamic search in huge file list.
But this is how i can imagine the integration at minimal cost for TC: <valid for FSE2 EV2 or from specific EV tab in search>
a kind of <new dynamic search> folder/BUTTON in that launch everything UI pre-populated.
Do do whatever you want in EV UI adding rule, char dynamically....

From EV have a send result button when it is done. The result will populate like in FSE or in virtual panel or as an internal list of selected file if integrated into standard search.

But to have this callback function/message and an a send button we need some support from "void".
Rob Weinstein

Post by *Rob Weinstein »

In the original post:
Horst.Epp wrote:I would like an Raw option or a Meta char on start of the search string which forces TC to give the search text unmodified and not interpreted at all to Everything. This would allow to use the full Everything search options.
TC9 Beta 5 adds the OP's request:
HISTORY.TXT wrote:13.07.16 Release Total Commander 9.0 beta 5 (32/64)
13.07.16 Added: Experimental, not yet documented in help: Pass search parameters directly to "Everything" with prefix ev:, e.g. ev:<c: |d:> *.mp3 Note: All other search parameters except for the path field will still be applied to the results (32/64)
I've tried it for my primary use case and it works beautifully. See my other posting here:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=312922#312922

While experimenting with this new feature, I noticed that TC's Search in: field has no effect. Of course this makes sense because ev: specifies the raw string should be sent to Everything. However, sometimes I'd like Search in: to work with ev:. I found that I can just copy and paste the contents of the Search in: field into the Search for: field and it works. Is there a simpler way to do this?

-Rob
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Rob Weinstein wrote:In the original post:
Horst.Epp wrote:I would like an Raw option or a Meta char on start of the search string which forces TC to give the search text unmodified and not interpreted at all to Everything. This would allow to use the full Everything search options.
TC9 Beta 5 adds the OP's request:
HISTORY.TXT wrote:13.07.16 Release Total Commander 9.0 beta 5 (32/64)
13.07.16 Added: Experimental, not yet documented in help: Pass search parameters directly to "Everything" with prefix ev:, e.g. ev:<c: |d:> *.mp3 Note: All other search parameters except for the path field will still be applied to the results (32/64)
I've tried it for my primary use case and it works beautifully. See my other posting here:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=312922#312922

While experimenting with this new feature, I noticed that TC's Search in: field has no effect. Of course this makes sense because ev: specifies the raw string should be sent to Everything. However, sometimes I'd like Search in: to work with ev:. I found that I can just copy and paste the contents of the Search in: field into the Search for: field and it works. Is there a simpler way to do this?

-Rob
The intention of my suggested Everything raw searches was to have the full Everything syntax and functions, so I think you have to live with that.
Everything has many ways to define where to search and I don't see any need for the search in field at all.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.77
QAP 11.6.3.3 x64
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Horst.Epp wrote: The intention of my suggested Everything raw searches was to have the full Everything syntax and functions, so I think you have to live with that.
Everything has many ways to define where to search and I don't see any need for the search in field at all.
.... And now we are stuck with ev only ! Feed to listbox select all and do a new search to refine using TC capabilities is a bit boring... Why not having a refine search button that take the current populated result as input (search on selected files) automatically ?

My main use case is to search some file based on MFT ultra fast with ev and do a pre filtering and then refine the search with TC to search on content plugin,text, archive.

Also could it be possible to prevent "ev:" empty search string ?

IMHO the two separated tab with the refine search make much more sense to me than this raw string only.