Option for turning off animation please

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dindog

Option for turning off animation please

Post by *dindog »

Ever since TC's used the new delphi UI framework ( at least that was reason I heard. ) in TC8, the scroll of file list view animation make TC look lags, when

right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on "Advanced System Settings". Select Advanced -> performance settings ->visual effects. 'smooth-scroll list boxes' is checked

Windows' explorer won't have notice slow down whether it's checked or not, the animation is fast, but TC's will take about 0.2 second for a scroll, totally a waste of time. It's doesn't make sense to have users turn off a setting Windows open by default in modern computer IMHO. So either TC add an option for turning off its own scrolling animation, or tune the animation parameters to make it looks faster.
Last edited by dindog on 2016-07-01, 02:23 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

Solwdown in first scroll event confirmed.
Core 2 Duo @2.2 GHz.
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Option for turning off animation please

Post by *Dalai »

dindog wrote:Windows' explorer won't has notice slow down whether it's checked or not, the animation is fast [...]
Of course it doesn't since it doesn't use list boxes but some other controls. The setting you mentioned applies to ALL standard list boxes in ALL applications, not only Delphi applications. You can try that for yourself: Open Notepad, go to font settings, open the list of fonts and scroll that list. It will behave exactly like TC's file lists. Or try PuTTY, list of saved sessions. Same thing. And there're a lot more programs that use list boxes, too.
It's doesn't make sense to have users turn off a setting Windows open by default in modern computer IMHO.
My opinion? That crappy animation doesn't make sense, it never did, not in any application.
Since it's a global option, that is either enabled or disabled for all applications (as I already said), I don't think TC can do anything here. And, in my opinion, it shouldn't either. The only thing that could be done is Ghisler replacing that list box controls with some others, but I guess that's not going to happen after all these years.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
dindog

Post by *dindog »

Well, TC9 is in beta, I think it's good time to bring the topic up :)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, one of the first things i turn off when installing a new Windows on a PC is the system wide so-called smooth scrolling and the smooth scrolling in Internet Explorer - it simply doesn't work well, and as Dalai points out - it is in all Windows programs, not just TC that it doesn't work.

So don't expect TC to cover up for a poorly implementet Windows feature. And I am pretty sure that it is a MAJOR task to change TC from using listboxes to something else - not just done over night.

The same goes for font smoothing, which cannot even be turned off in Internet Explorer and several of Microsoft's applications. But that's OT.
Last edited by petermad on 2016-07-01, 17:59 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

There are some system settings that I disable first when I (re)install Windows, including all nasty useless animations (this one too).
Even on modern computers, I don't think that it costs wasting any PC resources and my time for waiting while such animations are played.
I only leave enabled 5 options from 18 on visual effects settings tab.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I only leave enabled 5 options from 18 on visual effects settings tab.
You are even more restrictive as I - I have 7 left out of 20 on Windows 7 (6 out of 17 on Windows 10) ;-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
dindog

Post by *dindog »

I agree there are some default setting which is turned on by Windows are bad. But it still doesn't make sense to me that a shareware known as "fast & simple" doesn't work well with some Windows' default settings. Not every TC users would like to think it's Windows' faults ( it didn't in fact, it's the delphi frameworks' )

let's take this as example. You won't blame the earth doesn't provide enough oxygen at 12000 ft when you don't breathe well, you'll put the blame on the aircraft.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

dindog,
right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on "Advanced System Settings". Select Advanced -> performance settings ->visual effects. 'smooth-scroll list boxes' is checked
I suggest unchecking this option if you want to disable it.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
dindog

Post by *dindog »

Hacker wrote:dindog,
I suggest unchecking this option if you want to disable it.

Roman
I've unchecked. My point is: it's turned on by Windows, so I believe there are people who will think it's TC problem instead of a setting hide so deep.( it's a TC problem as a matter of fact...)
TC still want more new users, right? So it's should be fixed, not blame Windows turn on a setting it shouldn't when most other program won't feel slow as TC is
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

dindog,
I believe there are people who will think it's TC problem instead of a setting hide so deep
Yes, and they are wrong and we will helpfully explain to them how to change the behavior set in windows for all programs using listboxes.
it's a TC problem as a matter of fact
It is not a TC problem as a matter of fact.
most other program won't feel slow as TC is
All programs using listboxes will feel as slow as TC.

Of course, if there is some way to turn it off for TC only programatically from TC, I am all for it. I just doubt there is.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Hacker
All programs using listboxes will feel as slow as TC.
The question is how many other programs actually use listboxes in the same was as TC does - as a container for many files that must be scrolled all the time.
Of course, if there is some way to turn it off for TC only programatically from TC, I am all for it. I just doubt there is.
Where do you see the problem? It's quite well documented: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957204.aspx
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Lefteous wrote:Where do you see the problem? It's quite well documented: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957204.aspx
You do know it's a global option? Hacker meant that he doubts that there's a way to turn it off for TC only, and I agree. You could turn it off using SystemParametersInfo function with the SPI_SETLISTBOXSMOOTHSCROLLING flag, but I strongly advise against doing so. It's a global option that's meant to be changed by the user, and I really hate programs that change such options (without the user's consent).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Dalai
You do know it's a global option? Hacker meant that he doubts that there's a way to turn it off for TC only, and I agree.
I see - I misunderstood his post.
You could turn it off using SystemParametersInfo function with the SPI_SETLISTBOXSMOOTHSCROLLING flag...
Calling an API is even better than changing the key directly.
I strongly advise against doing so. It's a global option that's meant to be changed by the user, and I really hate programs that change such options (without the user's consent).
I agree that it shouldn't be done automatically. I would say it shoud be some kind of 'system integration' setting.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

Heh... You say: just turn off this for all OS.
No way, I can't. Some of my accounts are in workgroup domain and have no permission to regedit and any system config. "Smooth scroll" is enabled by default.
I vote for some solution in TC.