Option for turning off animation please

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2MaxX
You may want to contact the domain admin and ask him to disable this setting, or to disable the policy so you can change the settings yourself. Somehow, I doubt the mentioned function has an effect if there's some policy in place to prevent changes to system settings, but I haven't checked that.

And, btw, there's no need to edit the Registry at any time.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

If one is allowed to start third-party software, he can start any registry editor instead of standard regedit which checks for special registry key and refuses to start, or it may even be a compiled program for writing that registry setting. It is impossible to make user registry entries read-only.

I've even tried to edit original regedit.exe with hex editor in order to change that key's name in the file (key named is DisableRegistryTools), and regedit have started normally after that. :)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

[OT]
MVV wrote:It is impossible to make user registry entries read-only.
Oh yes, it can. Look at the Policies branches where the user doesn't have any write access. The only thing you need to do is take ownership of a user's registry branch as administrator and change the permissions so the user can't write to it.
I've even tried to edit original regedit.exe with hex editor in order to change that key's name in the file (key named is DisableRegistryTools), and regedit have started normally after that. :)
Yep, did that, too, couple days ago. It's a really nice trick.

[/OT]

But that's OT and TC is not supposed to write to the Registry.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
dindog

Post by *dindog »

Roman wrote: All programs using listboxes will feel as slow as TC.

Roman
No, it's NOT the same.

I am sorry that I didn't make it clear at the beginning. It's a TC x64 ONLY issue.

Of course any animation will take time, but most of them won't take as much as one will think it's slow. I don't feel it in other Windows programs, I didn't feel it with TC x32, and I noticed it the day I started using TC x64. So, yes, it's a TC's problem as a matter of fact. ( x64 delphi framework issue as I heard)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

dindog wrote:

Roman
No, it's NOT the same.

I am sorry that I didn't make it clear at the beginning. It's a TC x64 ONLY issue.

Of course any animation will take time, but most of them won't take as much as one will think it's slow. I don't feel it in other Windows programs, I didn't feel it with TC x32, and I noticed it the day I started using TC x64. So, yes, it's a TC's problem as a matter of fact. ( x64 delphi framework issue as I heard)
TC x64 is not programmed in Delphi
dindog

Post by *dindog »

Horst.Epp wrote:
dindog wrote:

Roman
No, it's NOT the same.

TC x64 is not programmed in Delphi
pascal for 64bit whatever its name is...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

dindog wrote:I am sorry that I didn't make it clear at the beginning. It's a TC x64 ONLY issue.
[...]
I don't feel it in other Windows programs, I didn't feel it with TC x32, and I noticed it the day I started using TC x64. So, yes, it's a TC's problem as a matter of fact. ( x64 delphi framework issue as I heard)
No, it's not in TC x64 only. I already explained where you can find list boxes in other programs, even in one that is shipped with Windows.

Maybe the animation is slower in TC x64, maybe not, maybe it's only slower on your system (graphics card or sth), maybe you just have the feeling that it's slower in TC x64. In the end, it doesn't really matter since there's a switch to turn it off, and you should use it if this bothers you.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Of course, if there is some way to turn it off for TC only programatically from TC, I am all for it. I just doubt there is.
I agree - it would be wonderfull if it could be turned off for TC specifically.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Dalai wrote:Look at the Policies branches where the user doesn't have any write access. The only thing you need to do is take ownership of a user's registry branch as administrator and change the permissions so the user can't write to it.
Policies is a special security branch and it is not writeable by users by default.
I've talked about normal user branches, e.g. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop key that holds user interface preferences.
petermad wrote:I agree - it would be wonderfull if it could be turned off for TC specifically.
I'm afraid we would need another INI option because some ones would desire not to disable it. :D
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I don't feel it in other Windows programs, I didn't feel it with TC x32
To me it seems to be equally bad in both TC 32bit and TC 64bit and especially the effect that scrolling don't stop immediately when I let go of the scroll wheel - an effect that gets even more pronounced when using KatMouse for enabeling scrolling without focusing an object - btw. a feature intruduced in Windows 10 as standard.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
dindog

Post by *dindog »

petermad wrote:
I don't feel it in other Windows programs, I didn't feel it with TC x32
To me it seems to be equally bad in both TC 32bit and TC 64bit and especially the effect that scrolling don't stop immediately when I let go of the scroll wheel - an effect that gets even more pronounced when using KatMouse for enabeling scrolling without focusing an object - btw. a feature intruduced in Windows 10 as standard.
just try the x32 version, and I have to agree with you, they both are bad now.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2MaxX
Heh... You say: just turn off this for all OS.
No way, I can't. Some of my accounts are in workgroup domain and have no permission to regedit and any system config. "Smooth scroll" is enabled by default.
There is actually a system wide-setting and also a user-specific setting. I don't think it's a problem to change the user-specific setting.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC does not use any new framework. It uses the same Windows listbox control as before.

I found a command to turn off smooth scrolling, but it is system wide, not just in TC:

SystemParametersInfo:
SPI_SETLISTBOXSMOOTHSCROLLING

See MSDN
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dindog

Post by *dindog »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC does not use any new framework. It uses the same Windows listbox control as before.

I found a command to turn off smooth scrolling, but it is system wide, not just in TC:

SystemParametersInfo:
SPI_SETLISTBOXSMOOTHSCROLLING

See MSDN
Windows Explorer scroll won't continue the animation when scroll is "over" in LIST VIEW. It's strange that only a few program will be that way.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2dindog
List view != List box. Only list boxes show this animation.

ghisler(Author)
I found a command to turn off smooth scrolling
Yes, see my post here.
[...] but it is system wide, not just in TC
Correct. However, a call of SystemParametersInfo alone is not enough. IIRC one needs to send WM_SETTINGCHANGE message afterwards so the system toggles/changes the setting.

But as I said, change this parameter only if you make the user aware of the consequences, that it's a system-wide setting and so on. Even then I don't recommend to change the setting automatically when some wincmd.ini option is set but only when the user confirms some message.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence