New TC 9 icons now in 24x24 and optional in 48x48

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

New TC 9 icons now in 24x24 and optional in 48x48

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The new Total Commander 9 icons are now avaiable in 16x16, 24x24 and 32x32 pixels, and (in a separate download) also in 48x48.

Download here:
16x16,24x24,32x32:
https://plugins.ghisler.com/addons/wcmicon2.zip
16x16,24x24,32x32,48x48:
https://plugins.ghisler.com/addons/wcmicons48.zip

To install, just double click on the ZIP in Total Commander. Then right click behind the normal bar/below the vertical bar and choose "Set default icon library". This dialog box allows to scroll the new icons together with the old icons, so you can compare them with each other.

I know that there are haters who don't like the new icons in general: Please do not download.

For those who have constructive suggestions for improving the icons, please let me know! We have already implemented some of the suggestions like the new selection icons.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

One thing that can be noticed immediately is that 16px/24px icons have a much stronger outline compared to the 32px and 48px icons.

Is this intentional?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, in 16x16 the outline is 1/16 of the height, in 32x32 it's only 1/32. If you leave out the outline, it looks blurry. Therefore an outline has to be used, but it takes more of the image due to the small size...

Btw, you can use the iclview lister plugin to see all 4 icon sizes side by side (you need to press '4' or rename the icon file to wcmicon2.icl).
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Yes, in 16x16 the outline is 1/16 of the height, in 32x32 it's only 1/32. If you leave out the outline, it looks blurry. Therefore an outline has to be used, but it takes more of the image due to the small size...
I was referring to the color (not the width) of the outline. It's much stronger in smaller icon sizes.

I think all icons need to provide a _similar_ level of contrast to the background. The background is some kind of grey in most cases, even when themed. So when you have an icon with a light-blue background and a dove grey background (Win7, themed) it looks a bit 'lost'. So icons which are relatively dark have a good contrast, some lighter icons not.

The file sync icon (24px) is a good example of unbalanced outlines inside a single icon. While the 2 folders have a strong outline - maybe even a bit too much - the 4 file icons are just lost.

For some icons there simple is no outline at all in larger icon sizes (e.g. #87).
Last edited by Lefteous on 2016-07-09, 08:15 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
lezerogan2

Post by *lezerogan2 »

After install the new file, I got to the dialog box "Set default icon library" via configuration > options > icons and changed the default icon library. no problem here.

but I failed to understand or found, what Mr. Ghisler wrote:
"right click behind the normal bar/below the vertical bar and choose".
where is it?
Thanks.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

lezerogan2 wrote: but I failed to understand or found, what Mr. Ghisler wrote:
"right click behind the normal bar/below the vertical bar and choose".
where is it?
Apparently you do not test the TC version 9 beta?

See top one thread in English forum.....

lezerogan2

Post by *lezerogan2 »

Dear Stefan,
As far as I know, the dialog box "Set default icon library" via configuration > options > icons is not implemented yet in version 8.52.
I used it successfully in version 9 beta 4 to set the new icon library.

Although it is seems clear to other users, apparently I misunderstand the term "right click behind the normal bar/below the vertical bar".
I guess it is kind of a shortcut to the same dialog box, but I failed to locate its position.
Thanks
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2lezerogan2
... right click behind the normal bar/below the vertical bar and choose "Set default icon library"
means:
right click on the empty space after the last button of your buttonbar (normal bar/below the vertical bar)

Regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 16x16 icons have received a stronger outline on purpose because after resizing to that small size, they became very blurry and barely recognizable. If you can do better, go ahead.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

If you can do better, go ahead.
Me?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone. So far there have just been complaints, but no one has shown anything better. Just don't use the new icons if you don't like them.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Sorry my criticism has always been constructive - you asked for suggestiions. Anyway I agree the best way is to express suggestions is to do some visual work.
Real production quality can only be achieved by working based on the SVGs though.

There is one icon that has been changed where I don't understand why. The asterisk icon used for 'everything' looks now more like a pink sun instead of an asterisk.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Not so much specific to the new icon library, was the case before and more eye-catching now, is that all configuration sections but one share a common icon:

https://1drv.ms/i/s%21Agcf2m9KISvthHpeF6OdPchsaJ8t

Don't know if this is intentional.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
sky66

Post by *sky66 »

Lefteous wrote:2ghisler(Author)
There is one icon that has been changed where I don't understand why. The asterisk icon used for 'everything' looks now more like a pink sun instead of an asterisk.
Suggest to use '*' in the icon center.

Font: Verdana
Color: Red
Type: Bold

phantom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *phantom »

To asterisk icon:

In this special case Ghisler could perhaps take the old one for the new library.