Finding duplicate folders/files in directory higher up

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TripleAAA

Finding duplicate folders/files in directory higher up

Post by *TripleAAA »

Hello,

I've been using Total Commander for awhile now and I seem to be stumped on this.

I have a folder with files located in:
E:\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4\
- Picture1.Jpeg
- Picture2.Jpeg
- Picture3.Jpeg
- Folder5\Picture4.Jpeg

I want to figure out if anything in Folder4 exist elsewhere at a higher up folder. So I go to my synchronize window and I set Folder4 as my left and Folder1 as my right, check off =, duplicates, ignore date, subdir. The results turn up nothing. I tried copying the files elsewhere as a test but it wont detect it, I would assume if it worked perfectly, it would detect only itself.

If anyone could offer some advice that would be great.

Thank you in advanced.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Since the sync feature requires the directory structure to be identical to find duplicates, it's the wrong function for this task. You may want to take a look at the search function (Alt+F7) > "Advanced" tab > Find duplicate files.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
TripleAAA

Post by *TripleAAA »

Dalai wrote:Since the sync feature requires the directory structure to be identical to find duplicates, it's the wrong function for this task. You may want to take a look at the search function (Alt+F7) > "Advanced" tab > Find duplicate files.

Regards
Dalai
Thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking of using this function, but there doesn't seem a way to indicate which files I am looking for specifically. Would this find every single duplicate file there is? The problem is, I am going to be running this on a 8TB drive with millions of files and I am not the data custodian. I can see the list potentially being very large and unmanageable.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

You can always limit the search to specific files on the General tab.
Would this find every single duplicate file there is?
Yes, that's what this function does. Every file that matches the search parameters is found. If you narrow them down by searching for picture1.jpeg then only files matching that name will be checked for duplicates.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror