Net - Port connection to other PC: connection failed

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mjhdavies

Net - Port connection to other PC: connection failed

Post by *mjhdavies »

Hi,

After having seen in the TC help file that the Goobay USB 3.0 Active USB Data Link Cable can be used to transfer files from one PC to another, I purchased such a cable and am trying to use it to transfer files.

However, when I select 'Net > Port Connection to Other PC' and click on any of the buttons Client, Server or Test, I see a pop-up window with 'Connect failed'.

Since I am able to connect the 2 PC's using the PCLinq5 utility and transfer files, the cable itself would appear to be ok.

Both PC's are running Windows 10. I have Zone Alarm firewall installed on both machines but have set the 'Trusted Zone' firewall to OFF so this should not be the cause of the problem.

I would appreciate your assistance with solving this issue, thanks.

/Best Regards, Mike
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hi mjhdavies,
Did you start as Server on one PC and as Client on the other?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
mjhdavies

Post by *mjhdavies »

Hacker wrote:Hi mjhdavies,
Did you start as Server on one PC and as Client on the other?

Roman
Yes, of course ... :)
mjhdavies

Post by *mjhdavies »

The 'connect failed' message appears only on the machine from which I want to transfer files to the other machine (i.e. the machine which is to be server). On the other machine (client), the message 'Sending data, waiting for response...' appears when I click on 'Test'.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

mjhdavies,
What happens when you click Test on both?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
mjhdavies

Post by *mjhdavies »

The same as before
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

mjhdavies,
Which would be?

Roman
mjhdavies

Post by *mjhdavies »

as I have described in my earlier posting - 'connect failed' on the machine I want to use as server and 'sending data, awaiting response' on the 'client' machine.
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

Wow, USB 3.0 bridge cables are already out there! I'll be considering a purchase of such one.
mjhdavies
If it's still based on Windows Easy Transfer protocol you may run a test utility by ghisler(Author) and see how it's going: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=238911&sid=5aca55f63f5e154b119893ab27220306#238911 Don't know what exactly was altered in TC internals to have USB 3.0 support though.
mjhdavies

Post by *mjhdavies »

Thanks for the link. I executed the winusbtest.exe file on the problem machine with the following result:

SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces failed!
GetDevicePath failed!
WinUsb_Initialize failed with error 6!
Tests complete, press ENTER to close

which I do not immediately understand (apart from seeing that there is a problem) - can anyone help with identifying what the cause of the problem is? And, even more interesting, how can the problem be solved?
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

mjhdavies
I could suppose that the cable is not of WET standard but OTi or similar... But it's listed as suitable for TC that is odd. So, you'd better wait for ghisler(Author)'s answer.
Last edited by dadreamer on 2016-08-31, 17:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I do not own this cable myself. The user who tested it told me that it works with Total Commander. You should NOT install the software which comes with the cable, it should be picked up by the Microsoft Easy Transfer driver instead.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

mjhdavies
I guess host controller / root hub driver should be installed however (according to your USB controller's manufacturer).

ghisler(Author)
Am I right that such cable will work with any TC version out of box, where USB bridge transfer is implemented? So, there's nothing to do with the software part to get 3.0 speed enabled?..
mjhdavies

Post by *mjhdavies »

Thanks for the latest replies to my posting.

I have not installed any software in connection with the Goobay USB 3.0 cable.

It seems that MS has not included MS Easy Transfer in Windows 10 but have entered into partnership with LapLink (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/d4872cf1-5854-a363-2e14-2497f56f1505/windows-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10).

However, I would prefer to use my trusted TC to transfer my files rather than installing and using another 3rd party s/w application for the purpose. Right now, I have configured a workgroup between the 2 computers, which I am using for the file transfer (with TC) via WiFi (only 1 of the computers has a network cable port), but it is quite slow so takes a lot of time. It would be good to use the Goobay data link cable if I could get it to work with TC.
dadreamer

Post by *dadreamer »

mjhdavies
Then you might try some things, suggested here:
Hmm, I wish I knew, I have been using it for so many years, I just don't remember. I currently use it on any OS except XP for which I have another version. For a while it would auto update, here is what I would try.

1. Download this one for vista to windows 7

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20483

2. I don't know where it installs to, but grab the installation folder and just copy it to a USB drive or something.

3. Duplicate that same folder on the destination computer and run "migwiz" on each, there is a point where it will try to update the easy transfer version, I cant remember how it worked, but I remember it being a screwy process...but after updating it, I think it will be the same version as what I used here. Worst case scenario I could upload my directory.

It's important that if you use a transfer cable, not to let any built in easy transfer software run via autoplay on the windows 7/8/vista machines, just cancel it and run migwiz from the directory. Hope that helps!
There's also a screenshot with the file list of that WET tool.