Correct way to install and use Everything

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

VSB

Correct way to install and use Everything

Post by *VSB »

What is correct way to install and use Everything?
How should I see that all is ok?

Currently installed Everything with default settings, TC is 9.0b14, search for 'help' in 'c:\'
Everything displays results immediately, TC slow (not so slow like usual search, but many times slowly then Everything).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It depends on what you search: If you get just a few files as the search result, TC should be as fast as Everything. If you get 1000s of files, then it will not be much faster than it is now. Why? Everything does not provide the file details like size, time, attributes. Therefore TC still has to get these for all found files with the conventional methods.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
VSB

Post by *VSB »

Hmm, so TC queries Everything for names, then begin populating other file attributes?

May be differentiate this to two parts in GUI (in find results) i.e.
[Founded 30000, populated 2356/30000]

also, can TC get this attributes from everything if indexing is enabled?
May be populate them in background when displaying results in file pane? (this may be common thread for find results and file pane for founded results)
Arnaud

Post by *Arnaud »

I would like to know how to use Everything with Total Commander properly. It seems the only way to make Total Commander "aware" of Everything is by either
* Already having Everything running with GUI before checking the box in Total Commander (works instantly)
* Having the Everything.exe in the same folder as Totalcmd.exe which starts Everything with a GUI (takes a few seconds) and keeps Everything running with a GUI after closing Total Commander

Total Commander doesn't seem to work with Everything.exe when it is running as a service (the recommended way to index everywhere) and always gives the installer warning.

Total Commander also doesn't seem to close Evertything.exe when it closes itself (which a proper child-process should do)

It seems like there should be 3 ways for TC and Everything to interact of which only 1 works they way people would like to use it:
1) Everything is already running at the same elevation level or lower as TC and TC calls out to Everything. This is the basic scenario for people that use Everything outside of TC as well and works well
2) Everything is running as a service and TC calls Everything. This is the recommended way for other programs to use Everything but doesn't seem to work with TC (not recognising Everything is installed)
3) Everything.exe is located side-by-side with Total Commander and is expected only to be used by Total Commander. This is the scenario for portable apps and people that would only use Everything from TC. TC should run Everything.exe as a service when TC is running elevated and probably with a GUI when TC is not running elevated. TC should close Everything when the last search dialog is closed

Did I correctly describe scenario 2 and 3 and indicate the problems at the moment?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can also tell TC the location of everything.exe via wincmd.ini section [Configuration] :

Everything=c:\path\Everything.exe -startup

This also accepts environment variables.

But I recommend that you run Everything permanently in the background to speed up the first search.
Arnaud

I cannot make it work while running Everything as a service

Post by *Arnaud »

I have this in my wincmd.ini:
[Configuration]
InstallDir=C:\Program Files\totalcmd
Everything="c:\Program Files\totalcmd\Everything.exe" -svc -startup

Everything.exe is already running as a service, Total Commander is running as admin
tasklist /fi "imagename eq totalcmd64.exe"
tasklist /fi "imagename eq everything.exe"

Image Name PID Session Name Session# Mem Usage
TOTALCMD64.EXE 9752 Console 1 48.596 K
Everything.exe 4860 Services 0 6.408 K

But when I check the "Everything" box in the Total Commander Search it gives me this message
'Everything' is a search tool and search index for the NTFS file system. 'Evertying' isn't installed! Do you want to download it now?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

If you have installed Everything as a service, you don't need any wincmd.ini parameters. Make sure that Everything is started as a service (1) and as a client (2) under current user account (I've added it to Startup folder under Programs with argument -startup) because TC communicates with client one, not service one.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

This is my setting for Everything: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/everything.png .

The only entry I have in wincmd.ini is:
[Configuration]
UseEverything=1

I use the 64 bit version of Everything and Everything.exe is placed in my totalcmd program folder for which I have full rights

This works for both my 32- and 64-bit TC, which are installed in separate directories. And it works when TC is started as administrator and when not.

If I do not select "Start Everything on system startup" I have to manually select "Everything" in TC's "Find Files" dialog the first time I do a search - and the search might not find new file entries made before Everything was started in the current Windows session :!:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Arnaud

Thanks, I didn't understand the EveryThing Service

Post by *Arnaud »

I thought that I only needed to run Everything as a service and that Total Commander would communicate with that service. Apparently the service is just a way to prevent UAC and you need to run a "client" Everything as well.

I wish that Everything was just a component of Total Commander that would start and stop together with Total Commander. But for now I will just create my own scripts to do that.

(source: https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/everything_service/)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, of course TC could communicate with Everything service, but Everything API only allows communication with client.
Cruysen

Post by *Cruysen »

I've seen that there is a new version of Everything in Beta now. (changes 1.4.1.867b )
Will this v1.4 version work with Totalcmd v9.0a?

And will there be improvements/new functions with this version? (info whats new)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Cruysen wrote:I've seen that there is a new version of Everything in Beta now. (changes 1.4.1.867b )
Will this v1.4 version work with Totalcmd v9.0a?

And will there be improvements/new functions with this version? (info whats new)
I always use the betas, not only the public betas.
They all worked fine with TC.
TC is allready using some of the 1.4.x features if available.
All new Everything functions can be used with the ev: prefix on searches.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, TC uses the 1.4.x version. However, this version takes a while to create its index when it starts. Therefore you should run it permanently in the background, otherwise you will have to wait a while after clicking on "Everything" until searching with it works.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, TC uses the 1.4.x version. However, this version takes a while to create its index when it starts. Therefore you should run it permanently in the background, otherwise you will have to wait a while after clicking on "Everything" until searching with it works.
I have everything on TC folder and i do not launch it by default. I only unzip it from the distribution file.
Each time i get a warning message about EV not installed even if the file can be found on TC folder why do you pop-up this useless annoying message ?
Could it be possible to have the waiting popup only launched when the search button is clicked and not when the everything checkbox is ticked ! (I have no issues to have the client/gui launched when i tick the EV checkbox )
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Each time i get a warning message about EV not installed even if the file can be found on TC folder why do you pop-up this useless annoying message
That's odd, I will check it. I'm always running Everything in the background, so I never had this problem...
Could it be possible to have the waiting popup only launched when the search button is clicked and not when the everything checkbox is ticked !
That would be annoying for people who don't want to always use everything (and wait for it to load) when only searching a few documents...