can total commander copy in use file?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

giulia

can total commander copy in use file?

Post by *giulia »

Hi
i'm using for now the last official total commander version 8.52a

can it copy in use files like the registry files correctly without giving errors under w7 or w8 or w10?

thanks
love Total Commander , best file manager ever made
damieri

RawCopy

Post by *damieri »

The best tool I have found for this (system locked files such as installer Temp files) is RawCopy Commandline low level file extractor for NTFS.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

giulia,
You can't copy such files with TC because it requires administrator permissions, special privileges and special copy procedure. But keep in mind that even tools that allow copying such files (like mentioned RawCopy) may copy such files incorrectly because there is no guarantee that files on disk are in consistent state while Windows works with them.
damieri

Experience?

Post by *damieri »

MVV wrote:incorrectly
May I ask if you have used RawCopy? It has CORRECTLY copied LOCKED system files for me (including validated digital signatures, sha1, sha256) since I have been using it. Hmmm.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

damieri,
Locked libraries may be copied properly of course because no one alters them while they are locked.
But I'm talking about open binary files like registry files that are partially cached in RAM and may only be partially flushed so their copies on disk may be inconsistent while Windows is running.
giulia

Re: RawCopy

Post by *giulia »

damieri wrote:The best tool I have found for this (system locked files such as installer Temp files) is RawCopy Commandline low level file extractor for NTFS.
hi
but it's command line , is there some tools like fast copy or other tools maybe portable that can do it
damieri

RawCopy WORKS!

Post by *damieri »

I gave you the most honest and experienced WORKING solution to your original questions as possible.

If you find a better solution, then please let me know as I would like to know as well, rather than being a closed minded fool. Life to me is a journey of constant learning and *B*S* really means nothing to me.

In my \UTILS\ folder which I carry with me everywhere (portable) to fix and work on other computers are the files:
RawCopy.au3
RawCopy.changelog
RawCopy.doc
RawCopy.exe
RawCopy.LICENSE
RawCopy.txt
RawCopy64.exe
RawCopy64.txt

For example:

RawCopy.txt

Code: Select all

RawCopy v1.0.0.15

Syntax:
RawCopy /ImageFile:FullPath\ImageFilename /ImageVolume:[1,2...n] /FileNamePath:FullPath\Filename /OutputPath:FullPath /AllAttr:[0|1] /RawDirMode:[0|1|2] /WriteFSInfo:[0|1]
Examples:
RawCopy /FileNamePath:c:\pagefile.sys /OutputPath:e:\temp
RawCopy /FileNamePath:c:\pagefile.sys /OutputPath:e:\temp /AllAttr:1
RawCopy /FileNamePath:c:0 /OutputPath:e:\temp
RawCopy /ImageFile:e:\temp\diskimage.dd /ImageVolume:2 /FileNamePath:c:2 /OutputPath:e:\out
RawCopy /ImageFile:e:\temp\partimage.dd /ImageVolume:1 /FileNamePath:c:\file.ext /OutputPath:e:\out
RawCopy /FileNamePath:c:\$Extend /RawDirMode:1
RawCopy /ImageFile:e:\temp\diskimage.dd /ImageVolume:2 /FileNamePath:"c:\system volume information" /RawDirMode:2 /WriteFSInfo:1
RawCopy /FileNamePath:\\.\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1:x:\ /RawDirMode:1
RawCopy /FileNamePath:\\.\Harddisk0Partition2:0 /OutputPath:e:\out
RawCopy /FileNamePath:\\.\PhysicalDrive0:0 /ImageVolume:2 /OutputPath:e:\out
Read, learn, and use. Not that hard. And it WORKS!. I can CONFIRM it for VERY difficult LOCKED files also.

Peace :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

damieri,
If you find a better solution, then please let me know as I would like to know as well, rather than being a closed minded fool.
Here you are - 7 Tools to Copy Locked or In Use Files • Raymond.CC. I personally prefer ShadowSpawn.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
damieri

Choices!

Post by *damieri »

Hacker wrote:Here you are ... I personally prefer ShadowSpawn.
Thanks very much for more information and choices for all concerned.

RawCopy is listed there also and your preferred ShadowSpawn are both command line as some others just have a GUI wrapper for the command line counterpart. I (or others here) may try some of the other "easier" GUI options to see how they go.

I have used RawCopy for quite a while and recommended it here for very good reasons because it is (possibly the only) OPEN SOURCE one so you can be sure that there are NO NASTIES included which can be a risk with these sorts of advanced tools with CLOSED SOURCE CODE.

My intentions as always are pure and to help others even though some may not perceive them this way as I may be "too truthful" to find the "best solution" which some may misinterpret as being offensive. :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

damieri,
Please note that tools that use the Volume Shadow Copy service work differently than RawCopy.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
giulia

Post by *giulia »

Hacker wrote:damieri,
Please note that tools that use the Volume Shadow Copy service work differently than RawCopy.

Roman
Hi
Roman
there is the screenshot of fast copy & teracopy, but i had no luck!
giulia

Post by *giulia »

Hacker wrote:damieri,
If you find a better solution, then please let me know as I would like to know as well, rather than being a closed minded fool.
Here you are - 7 Tools to Copy Locked or In Use Files • Raymond.CC. I personally prefer ShadowSpawn.

Roman
hi
thanks
i will learn and least it work 100%

ps ,why if i connect to the forum with my laptop w8.1 after i have to clean all cookies with my desktop and re-login?
giulia

Post by *giulia »

MVV wrote:damieri,
Locked libraries may be copied properly of course because no one alters them while they are locked.
But I'm talking about open binary files like registry files that are partially cached in RAM and may only be partially flushed so their copies on disk may be inconsistent while Windows is running.
hi
but Tweaking.com Registry Backup can do it for example

weird that tools like teracopy or fastcopy can't do it

there is a new program , seems very good is Copy Handler
but haven't test yet