Can WinCommander have fixed width columns? Or Excel-styled?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

brian

Can WinCommander have fixed width columns? Or Excel-styled?

Post by *brian »

It's my only and greatest WinCommander annoyance.
The columns take all sorts of widths, there's no rhyme nor reason to them. It would be so cool if especially the Ext, Size, Date and Attributes columns could be fixed to a [face=comicsansms] pre-determined[/face] width The name column can do whatever.

It would be nice too, if they were Excel-like columns with Auto-Align, automatic alignment, where one can double click the edges and they automatically snap to the correct width of the widest cell.

The annoying thing is that the Extension column is never ready, to be sorted, one always has to adjust it, so we can see clearly whats what.
Mikefield
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Mikefield »

Not sure what you mean, but you can set fixed columns to a pre-determined width. "Save Position" could help, also custom columns in the configuration.

mf
Bankster - Word of the Year 2009
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2brian
TC always saves the column widths as fixed widths, except for the name column if so configured.

It sounds like your TC is not able to write its settings to the wincmd.ini file - make sure you have write permission to that file - you can see where your actual wincmd.ind file is stored under "Help" -> "About Total Commmander".

To save the normal column width choose "Configuration" -> "Save position or "Save Settings". Custum columns widths can also be saved by right clicking the tab header and then choose "Configure custom columns" -> "OK". The nomal columns width can also be saved by "Configuration" -> "Options" -> "Tabstops" -> "OK"

BTW - the name of the program was changed from Windows Commander to ToTal Commander from version 5.50 in october 2002 - it has never been WinCommander ;-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
brian

Post by *brian »

2petermad

Well, actually you've taught me a new thing. under Tabstops" , I was able to set all columns to my prefered column width. But I want the extension AFTER the filename, like normal. Separate is a bit abnormal.
And, I would like the extension column to have a fixed width even though extensions are shown directly after the filename. (Please don't argue why, it's the way I like it)

And I don't think these column widths will last, if I resize the window or minimize it or do whatever.

Still, a button for that "Default" setting would be nice, even if it is ugly, so how do I make one? Doesn't seem to be a cm_command for it.

Yes, I DO have access to my wincmd.ini. Try to assume I'm not a noob. It's not gonna be that easy.

And I prefer Windows Commander, since Ghisler was strongarmed by Microsoft to give it up. Fight the power!
Last edited by brian on 2016-11-23, 18:48 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

But I don't think they will last, if I resize the window.
It should only be the name column that changes when resizing the window.

If you want to be sure that the setting lasts then go to "Configuration" -> "Options" -> "Operation" -> "Save on exit" and deselect: "Panels (brief/full, etc.)".

Yes, I DO have access to my wincmd.ini. It's not gonna be that easy.
That was just to be sure that the changes you make in the "Options" dialog gets written.
Last edited by petermad on 2016-11-23, 19:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

And I prefer Windows Commander, since Ghisler was strongarmed by Microsoft to give it up. Fight the power!
My 32bit TC is still installed in C:\WC for the same reason.
License #524 (1994)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

petermad wrote:
And mine is in c:\tools\wincmd :)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
brian

Post by *brian »

petermad wrote:
right on, brother!!!

and thanks. I'll let you know in an hour or a week if it works
brian

Post by *brian »

So, it doesn't really work because the extensions column just does whatever the heck it wants, so to speak. I have it set at that extension are attached to the filename, cos the other setting is just weirdbolls.

But this seems (?) to mean that the extension column, which i want ALWAYS TO BE just 3 characters wide, has all sorts of widths.
Which is annoying to no end.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2brian
extensions column just does whatever the heck it want
Not excactly true, but the Size column is allowed to extend into the Extension column giving that impression. So adjust the Size and the Extension columns so that the largest extension AND the largest file size you expect to see just fits, and then leave it there. Assuming that "aligned (with Tab)" is chosen.
License #524 (1994)