button bar as menu AND as full list

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

billiebub

button bar as menu AND as full list

Post by *billiebub »

There are situations when I just want to have access to a quick list of button items when clicking on a button bar. For example, a button bar may have 50 buttons inside but only a handful are used more frequently than others. This is where the menu option comes in handy as a drop down but the menu option is only good for small number of buttons. When you have like 50 buttons under one button bar, you will have to click the button bar to access these 50 buttons, wait for them to render (AV processing), then click on the desired button. If there is an option to select a handful of buttons as "quick list" from that button bar, in a menu style drop down, then that would make life easier. If you need to access the full list of buttons in the button bar, may way double click or take another action to access.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

wait for them to render (AV processing)
TC caches icons in BR2 file so no AV processing will be done on opening drop-down menu.
If there is an option to select a handful of buttons as "quick list" from that button bar, in a menu style drop down, then that would make life easier. If you need to access the full list of buttons in the button bar, may way double click or take another action to access.
Are you sure that it will make life easier? You will have to remember how you should click that button.

I suggest to split large drop-down buttonbar to 3-4-5 smaller drop-down buttonbars and make them contain 10-15 buttons at most.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually you can already Shift+Click a button which links to a .bar file to open it as a menu instead of switching to that button bar. However, the icons will still be loaded (from cache).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ghisler(Author),
As I understand, he wants to be able to show drop-down menu in two modes: short and full (like Windows context menus without or with Shift key).
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

We can split large drop-down buttonbar menu to several columns by using -2 as command code and no icon
Dialog box: Configuration - Change button bar wrote:15. A value of -2 and no icon causes a manual line break in the button bar

@billiebub
Put your "quick list" buttons at the beginning of the button-bar followed by line break, it is better than nothing :)

Try Button Bar Editor for easily editing all bars in one place.
billiebub

Post by *billiebub »

great insights. Thanks for the feedback. @ts4242, one of my key tools is the button bar editor which I make use of quite often. Thanks for such tools.