Multi-Rename Tool can't overwrite existing files

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

thims

Multi-Rename Tool can't overwrite existing files

Post by *thims »

For some reason it only allows to auto-rename with (2) etc. This is extremely annoying when you can't just overwrite existing files when doing complex multi-rename.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Works as designed.
And how qualifies this as a bug report.
There is a suggestion forum if you like to propose changes or new function.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Multi-Rename Tool can't overwrite existing files

Post by *tuska »

thims wrote:For some reason it only allows to auto-rename with (2) etc.
TC-help (F1) - search for "auto-rename" says:
New in TC9: When there are name collisions, e.g. because the rename mask leads to multiple files with the same name, or a file with that name already existed, then you get the option to auto-rename the files to "name (2).ext", "name (3).ext" etc. This will not be shown in the preview.
Regards
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's intentional that the Multi-Rename Tool can't overwrite existing files, so "Undo" will always work.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
thims

Post by *thims »

It's a pity. It'd be much better to have the additional buton to Overwrite and introduce the additional warning like "This will disable Undo and several files may be overwritten into one file".

I personally get this sutiation very often when renaming new uploaded files on FTP.
AnnoyedUser5

Post by *AnnoyedUser5 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2016-11-29, 16:05 UTC It's intentional that the Multi-Rename Tool can't overwrite existing files, so "Undo" will always work.
This is a clear UX-bug and not a feature!!
Good design should have a separate non-default option to enable overwriting of old files.

I, as most other users that don't have their hands out of their axx, need old files rewritten more often than need to use undo.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

AnnoyedUser5 wrote: 2020-12-10, 19:49 UTC I, as most other users
Speak for yourself, please.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
EvilTwin

Re:

Post by *EvilTwin »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2016-11-29, 16:05 UTC It's intentional that the Multi-Rename Tool can't overwrite existing files, so "Undo" will always work.
Would it be possible to add an option to overwrite existing files on rename, for advanced users? The reason I'm humbly asking is that I've been a Total Commander user since the 1990s and I've never once had to use the "Undo" function after a rename, but I've often found myself needing to multi-rename lots of files (typically in repair situations) that had a renamed version already present, and I always wondered why overwriting those existing files wasn't an option.

For example, right now, I have a computer with 187 shortcuts in the Windows 10 start menu that received a duplicate copy with " (1)" added to the name during an in-place upgrade. The original shortcuts no longer work, so I used TC to find all the files with " (1)" and then simply wanted to multi-rename back to a name without the " (1)" in them... but it won't let me because of the bad version of the shortcut with the same name. So I have to go through, find all the files that have a " (1)" copy, manually delete the original....

It could be so much easier. Please? Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's a protection for normal users. Imagine the situation where someone enters a fixed name in the "Name" field. Then 100s of files would be lost in one single step because all would be renamed to the same name,
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Heinricheppe

Post by *Heinricheppe »

Rename *.* to gone.all

I am glad it dont work. :)
EvilTwin

Post by *EvilTwin »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-12-31, 14:38 UTC It's a protection for normal users. Imagine the situation where someone enters a fixed name in the "Name" field. Then 100s of files would be lost in one single step because all would be renamed to the same name,
I totally understand that it's a protection but truly, there are so many other ways Total Commander can be used to "hose" a bunch of files that in the above situation, it would still be nice to get the same dialog I get when I press F6 and happen to enter the name of an existing file or a pattern that matches existing files (code recycling FTW). I then get the option to "Overwrite", "Overwrite all", "Skip", and lots more: Image: https://imgur.com/a/Hk2Gxbd

If needed, hide the option to unlock that dialog in a multi-rename situation inside one of the Total Commander .INI files so it can't be accidentally enabled via GUI and it stays out of reach of "normal users". But IMHO, "normal users" don't need "Total" control of their files. In other words, my grandma won't be using "Total Commander", she uses "File Explorer" (dangerous enough) and us advanced users use "Total Commander", not "Partial Commander" :)