TC9.0 final does not detect gzip archive

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Breaker

TC9.0 final does not detect gzip archive

Post by *Breaker »

I have some text files for a specific program which are compressed with gzip, but have another extension (not gz).

TC 8.55 detected the format when pressing Ctrl+Cursor-right/left to open it in the other file list.

TC 9.0 does not detect the file as gzip anymore, doen't "open" it anymore. Nothing happens when pressing Ctrl+Cursor-right/left.

Opening the file with Return is not a solution for me, as my specific program is associated with the file extension and it would start when pressing Return. I only want to look into the text files inside the archives in TC sometimes.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

TC opens GZIP files with any or even without extension
if you press Ctrl-Page-Down on it.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Breaker.

Guess it is related to this thread here: [BUG]TC9 can not open .tar.gz file without file extention.
As Horst.Epp explained, <Ctrl><PgDn> will make T.C. open the archive.

Side Note:
T.C. 8.52a is the predecessor of T.C. 9.0. There has never been a release T.C. 8.55.

Regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, this isn't the same problem. It's related to this:

Code: Select all

10.03.14 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] CtrlArrowOpenArchive=5: Controls whether Ctrl+Left/Right arrow opens archives or not: 0=never, 1=if ENTER opens archive, 2=if ZIPlikeDirectory=1, 3=always. Add 4 to put cursor on file if not opened. Does not affect search - feed to listbox mode (32/64)
Since the file is associated with a program, TC will not open the archive by default. You need to set it to CtrlArrowOpenArchive=2 or CtrlArrowOpenArchive=3.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Breaker

Post by *Breaker »

Ah, with value 3 it works again. Thanks. :)

1) I don't understand though why 3 is not default or what disadvantage it would have. If a user wants to open the file with the associated program, he can always press Enter. Using Ctrl+Left/Right as being one key more "complex" as pressing Enter (one key) seems to me an intuitive way to open the file in TC as an exception.

2) Upgrading from one TC version to another should not change the behavior of functions if it is possible to retain the behavior. IMHO, the update should have set the (new) INI setting automatically, or ask the user.
But this is the same as with the new icons and cursor colors: OK, new users may find it better looking (so it can be default), but I prefer the old style, and the installer changed these settings without asking me when upgrading. So I had to go into the menu and search for the settings to change it back to what I was used to.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1) People have complained than when they press Ctrl+Arrow on a docx or xlsx document that TC shows them as archives in the other panel.

2) Yes it should, when people complain all the time...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com