Explorer icons not shown for zip and rar files

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Soul--Reaver

Explorer icons not shown for zip and rar files

Post by *Soul--Reaver »

These are my explorer icons
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Soul--Reaver/media/totalcmd/explorer_icons.png.html

While these are the ones total commander 9.0 final shows
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Soul--Reaver/media/totalcmd/tcmd_icons.png.html

Why are the archive icons not properly shown in total commander?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

TC has always been showing a different (i.e. its own) icon for packed files, primarily to give the user a clue that they can be worked with almost just like directories. The only difference between TC8 and TC9 is the icon used for these archives.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Soul--Reaver

Post by *Soul--Reaver »

Yes but the funny thing is

With "Show default folder/file icons from Explorer"
Disabled: It shows the old icons
Enabled: It shows the new icons

So i feel that this incorrectly describes how it handles the archive file icons.
I think "Enabled" should also use the Explorer icons
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Soul--Reaver wrote:So i feel that this incorrectly describes how it handles the archive file icons.
I can't follow. It doesn't matter whether TC shows the old or new icon. TC handles the archives by itself (or some packer plugin).
I think "Enabled" should also use the Explorer icons
I don't agree. What about archive types that Explorer (or third party programs) can't handle but you have some packer plugin in TC (.b64 for example)? Which icon should TC use then? I guess, the generic archive icon it uses now. So, you'd end up with different icons for archives that serve the same purpose. Furthermore, showing Explorer icons would make the user think that pressing Enter on such file will open it in the associated program (WinRAR in your case), but it won't do so. A confusing behavior, which other users (most certainly) would complain about.

However, a hint in the help file, or in brackets, e.g. "Show default folder/file icons from Explorer (not for archives)" or something like that, would help to clarify TC's behavior.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC is getting the archive icon from zipfldr.dll to indicate archive types handled by TC. This is the default icon used by the Explorer. I can't just get the icon from the ZIP type itself, because the user may have changed the association to some other program - in your case this would be WinRAR, but it could be anything, including nonsense like notepad (no one keeps you from associating zip with notepad).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Soul--Reaver

Post by *Soul--Reaver »

Ok

I'm just saying that "Show default folder/file icons from Explorer" means to me that TC will use the same icons i see in explorer which was not the case

On another note about icons. I've switched back to the old icons from TC8. Mainly because the higher quality icons become blurred when shown this small. Small icons require clear sharp lines in my opinion
Maybe they work for Explorer because Explorer has more space between items in comparison to TC

Case closed
Thank you for your time
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Soul--Reaver
I'm just saying that "Show default folder/file icons from Explorer" means to me that TC will use the same icons i see in explorer which was not the case
I would agree with you if it had said: "Show folder/file icons from Explorer" - but it does say: "Show default folder/file icons from Explorer" - so I don't expect to see associated icons, which it what you are expecting.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Soul--Reaver

Post by *Soul--Reaver »

Guess your also right about that one