Skip when identical

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

miskox

Skip when identical

Post by *miskox »

When copying/moving files we have options to:
------------------------
- overwrite
- overwrite all
- skip
- cancel
- overwrite all older
- skip all
- rename
- append
- more options:
compare
rename existing target files
auto rename copied
auto rename target files

overwrite all older and of the same age
copy all larger (overwrite smaller files)
copy all smaller (overwrite larger files)

------------------------

I would like to see these two options added (or more if required):

skip identical files
overwrite identical files

both these options would do a binary compare of course.

Thanks.
Saso
Gerdd

Post by *Gerdd »

I like that a lot, myself. I find myself in a position fairly frequently. where I try to consolidate data from various places into one destination, with a fairly large overlap of identically named files of - often - identical contents. For that situation I like to proceed like this:

Search for the files in question, feed results to a listbox, select all and move to destination.

This will often find identical files (or different files with the same name) in various places. By moving them all into the same location I want to establish some order but also eliminate duplication. Best way to do that at this point would be to invoke an option like this:

"Move all files to destination, auto-rename different files to get rid of name clashes, but delete identical (duplicate) source files"

Instead of deleting the unwanted source files we could also just move them over the target files, but that is more action. One could also still debat if the older or the newer time stamp should prevail (or the one that was there first vs. the newcomer.)

The key innovation here would be that we leave different files alone but deal with true duplicates. In this scenario we are not looking at duplicate files with different names yet, but that might be another nice-to-have ... (we did once have a "find duplicate files" function, but I never saw that in a finished form.)
Commander238

Post by *Commander238 »

I agree. These two options would be useful.
• skip identical files
• overwrite identical files (and overwrite timestamps)