Leaked file handles with 7z split-volume archives

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Leaked file handles with 7z split-volume archives

Post by *elgonzo »

Applies to both TC 9.0 x64 and TC 9.0a x64.

Only the 64-bit version is having this issue, the 32-bit version is unaffected.

Single-volume 7z archives are not affected. Only split-volume 7z archives expose this issue.

When opening/inspecting split-volume 7z archives, TC64 will keep an open file handle to the first part of this split-volume archive (something.7z.001) until TC64 is being closed, essentially locking this file as long as TC64 is running.

This reliably happens with split-volume archives in the 7z format. Whether other archive formats are affected by this issue as well i cannot tell, since i have only tested with 7z archives so far.

How to reproduce:

1. Create a 7z split-volume archive. It needs to have at least two parts; size, content does not seem to matter. File naming of the parts follows the standard "archivename.7z.001" schema.

2. Make sure to start TC64 without an existing wincmd.ini; i.e., make sure to run TC64 with default settings.

3. Navigate into the split-volume archive; for example by pressing Ctrl+PageDown on its first part.

4. Navigate out of the archive again; for example by pressing Ctrl+PageUp.

5. Try to rename the first part of the split-volume archive -- it will fail due to TC64 having leaked an open file handle.

5.2. The more technically inclined might want to use something like Mark Russinovichs Handle command line tool to inspect the file handles kept by the totalcmd64.exe process.
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This should be fixed in TC 9.10 beta, please test it!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *elgonzo »

Issue fixed! :D
(Tested with 9.10RC1)
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...